Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best software for note taking and/or outlining  (Read 14333 times)

Maharishi

• View Profile
    • Email
Best software for note taking and/or outlining
« on: May 15, 2004, 12:23:48 PM »
Most people stick with MS Word for both note taking and outlining... But there are some specific programs for that.

Does anyone use one of them, or did anyone try to? Which one? Is it good or useless?
And what about Microsoft's OneNote software?

NJbred25

Re: Best software for note taking and/or outlining
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 11:13:13 AM »
Storelaw is great.  It's a specific program for law school notes/outlines, etc.

Karen

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 10:04:36 AM »
Be careful of StoreLaw.  The reviews on Amazon are really bad.  I've been looking into Inspiration 7.5, as per Dennis Toning who posts all over this board, but I'm trying to get someone to sort of back up his view point.  However, from their web site it does look pretty useful.  I might just get it for the flow charts because I'm such a visual learner.  Let me know if you hear anything new.
Thanks!

Maharishi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 07:12:15 PM »
Microsoft OneNote seems good when it comes to notes taking. But maybe Word is just fine, after all... If you use it in "plan" display mode, it's quite the same as Inspiration, except for the flow charts which can be made with Word's drawing tool.

Patricj

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 09:55:36 PM »
I used CaseAce last year and it works really well. There's a free demo online.

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 10:13:11 PM »
StoreLaw just released version 3.0.  It looks much improved, but I haven't tried it in class yet. 

atwood

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 09:05:04 PM »
Just got an email from CaseAce saying their going out of business.  :'(

They recommend using Storelaw and say CaseAce pushed SL to add a lot of features.

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 10:11:35 AM »
A free version of OneNote is available on the MS website...its supposedly very good for outlining etc.  I haven't tried it yet but am downloading it today.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/onenote/prodinfo/trial.mspx

The downside is that the software is $99 after the trial period ($199 if you dont have a registered Office product right now)

*EDIT: Just saw that its $49 through an 'authorized education reseller' for students*

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 04:17:01 PM »
I downloaded and installed it.  It crashed when I tried to open the application.

::)

A free version of OneNote is available on the MS website...its supposedly very good for outlining etc.  I haven't tried it yet but am downloading it today.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/onenote/prodinfo/trial.mspx

The downside is that the software is $99 after the trial period ($199 if you dont have a registered Office product right now)

*EDIT: Just saw that its $49 through an 'authorized education reseller' for students*
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 09:17:13 AM »
I got it to work fine on my desktop at home, but as my Computer Engineering friends would say..."typical Micro$oft"

I'll probably end up using it for law school, since I think i can steal a license from my dad's work for it.