Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone start Fall 04?  (Read 7772 times)

DonkeySmiler

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone start Fall 04?
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2004, 10:35:17 PM »
Hey y'all!  I just finished my first year at Cap, so if you have questions, post them here and I'll do my best to answer. :)

What are your general thoughts/comments in regards to your experience at Capital?

What is parking like? A pain in the ass?

I've heard that Capital might be investigated and its accreditation may be in turmoil. Have you heard anything about that?

Do you pretty much see the same people in all your classes? or does it shift around?

Did you take your exams on a computer or handwritten?  Were any of your exams closed notes?

What is the two day orientation all about? What goes on? Is it lame?

This question you may not have the answer to..... Do you know if scholarships are adjusted after each year... say if you do really well, will they offer more?

That's all for now..... thank you ahead of time for any insights you can offer.

*edit - more questions  ;)

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 03:39:03 PM »
What are your general thoughts/comments in regards to your experience at Capital?
I had a good first year.  Law school itself takes some getting used to, especially the workload that is required to prepare for class and exams.  The faculty is outstanding, and there are a lot of programs (student associations, activities like 1L moot court) for students here to get involved in.  Just like every school, there are good things and bad things (and good days and bad days), but overall, I have enjoyed my time here (so far).  :)

What is parking like? A pain in the ass?
It can be.  Fortunately for me, I live close enough to walk to school and do so most of the time.  There are three student lots, including one that is a few blocks away from the law school, but during the day the security staff runs a shuttle back and forth from that lot.  The situation tends to be at its worst during the first half of the fall semester, when all the 1Ls are especially overzealous and never go home.   ;)  After 4 PM, students can park in the faculty lot as well.  To be honest, I never had a problem finding a space on the days that I did decide to drive, but I think it all depends on timing.  The best advice I can offer is to get to school early--if you do, you shouldn't have a problem--but don't take my parking space.  :P 

I've heard that Capital might be investigated and its accreditation may be in turmoil. Have you heard anything about that?
No.  I do know that the bar passage rate is very low and that the faculty has formed a committee to investigate ways to improve it.  The dean sent an email out last semester reminding all of us students to be conscious of the fact that we should be preparing for the bar by reevaluating our study habits to make sure they are up to par. 

Do you pretty much see the same people in all your classes? or does it shift around?  In the first year, yes, you will, for the most part, have class with the same group of people.  After the first year you can start to pick electives and that shuffles the dynamic quite a bit.  Note: Upper class students can be very helpful, so make friends.   :)

Did you take your exams on a computer or handwritten?  Were any of your exams closed notes?  To date, I've taken all my exams on my laptop.  It's really a matter of preference, though.  All of my exams (and from what I gather, all 1L exams) were closed-note.  Some of the upper-level exams are open-note. 

What is the two day orientation all about? What goes on? Is it lame?
I think you mean the one in August.  If so, it's not that bad.  The first night, there is a ceremony at the main campus where the faculty welcomes the new students and every new 1L is presented with a gavel.  The next day there is a "class" in which you are taught how to brief a case (because on the first day of class, you are expected to have read, briefed, and be prepared to talk about all the cases you are assigned).  Then there is a street fair with food and music.  All the student organizations set up tables and pass out free stuff. 

This question you may not have the answer to..... Do you know if scholarships are adjusted after each year... say if you do really well, will they offer more?
I don't know.  I do know that they make a scholarship application available after every spring semester so that students can apply for new scholarships. 

Keep the questions coming if you have more.  I look forward to seeing all you new people this fall!

DonkeySmiler

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 09:10:00 PM »
Note: Upper class students can be very helpful, so make friends. 

Will you be my friend?  ;)

lol, thanks for the great feedback/answers!  Much appreciated.

JoyElizabeth

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 05:30:58 PM »
Hello- I will be joining Capital in the fall as well- thank you for the information already on this site I found it extremely helpful!! I can't think of any additional topics to raise right now....but I look forward to meeting all of you in a few weeks!