Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gonzaga 1L  (Read 14188 times)

aryeal

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gonzaga 1L
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2004, 10:51:28 PM »
Hi!  Did you all also apply to Seattle U?  I was considering all three Washington State schools.  Does Gonzaga give out much money for good stats? do you know about job placement in Seattle?

GU was my only choice due to location (nervous is an understatement while waiting for my acceptance letter).  GU gives out good scholarship money.  But, Seattle U is MUCH cheaper and I think trumps GU on the tier.  I heard last year that Seattle was drying up on job prospects, but that may have changed.  Check in the general forum.  I'd be curious to know if their job market is back.

anon

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2004, 10:55:28 PM »
Seattle is a lot cheaper?  Wow, I did not realize that.  I thought it would cost more due to its urban setting.  Thanks for the info!

aryeal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2004, 11:04:32 PM »
Seattle is a lot cheaper?  Wow, I did not realize that.  I thought it would cost more due to its urban setting.  Thanks for the info!

Yeah go check out their web page and dig around for their estimated costs.  GU tuition alone is about $24k a year.

Angie4Prez

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 11:44:19 PM »
I'm starting this Fall at Gonzaga.  Pretty excited.  I decided Gonzaga over Seattle U just from things I have heard from lawyers in the Seattle area.  It was a hard decision seeing it means I have to sell my house and move my family out to Spokane. 

I know it's only been one class, but how do you guys in the summer torts class like the program and the school?

Oh, and from I remember, I believe SU is a tad more expensive.

Angie4Prez

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 12:37:00 AM »
huh...just noticed the dates of the previous posts! 

I gather no one will reply.  >:( 

oh well, my bad.   

aryeal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 03:36:09 AM »
Luckily I got a notification that this thread had a new post, so you get your reply!

I highly recommend the summer torts program.  Right now as I take final exams it is a huge relief to only have 4 as opposed to 5.  The class is tough due to the fast pace.  It is usually taught by Professor DeWolfe who actually wrote the practice book on torts in WA.  You will learn a lot from a prof who really knows the subject.  You'll have class every day for two hours and a lot of reading each day.  But, by the time fall term starts, you are way ahead of the game.  You will have learned to synthesize rules, write case briefs, live through the socratic method, and experienced exams.  As an aside, DeWolfe's socratic method is not harsh.  He gives good feedback to every student and doesn't put anyone down.  DeWolfe also maintains a large website of resources, links to the text (which he wrote) and oodles of past exams and model answers.

And I love GU.  It's suffering in the tier rankings, but they are working hard to get it back on top.  They just yanked it out of 4th tier to 3rd in the last year.  The professors are very accessible.  The legal research and writing program is excellent and the library is very well maintained. 

It's an expensive school which is a downside.  On the upside, I work with many GU alums and they are fine lawyers.

Good choice!  I know it's a tough one to make when you balance the expense and the low tier ranking against other schools in Seattle.

Montanahopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2005, 01:58:35 PM »
I've been checking out the Gonzaga board, hoping some 1Ls would surface. I, too, am headed to Spokane this fall. I am so excited. I never thought I would go there (I had some preconceived ideas what Spokane and GU were like), but when I went for a campus visit, I just fell in love with the place. Leaving my career and going back to school was a huge and at times, anxiety-ridden decision, but I feel like its totally possible to go to GU and be successful. I regret I cannot go to the summer torts class, but I guess I'll manage! Any advice on neighborhoods to avoid, or neighborhoods to seek out? Thanks.
Hell, yeah: U. Montana, West Virginia, Gonzaga $, Willamette, Vermont Law School
Hell, no: U.Oregon
Hell, waitlisted:Seattle

Angie4Prez

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2005, 09:50:39 PM »
Thanks Aryeal for taking the time to reply back during finals.  I appreciate the info and insight.  I really wanted to take the summer torts class, but I just don't have the time since I am in the process of selling my current home and looking to buy a new one in Spokane.  Oh well.  Yeah, deciding between Seattle U and Gonzaga was a bit tough and painstaking, with all the weight put on the rankings, but I really think going to Gonzaga will pay off more in the long run.

Glad to see someone else is headed out to Spokane as well (Montanahopeful).  I, too, did not have Gonzaga high on myn list, but the more I talked to people about it, and after visiting, the school eventually became my first choice.  Neighborhoods I am looking at are South Hill and Brownes Edition.  From what I have heard, South Hill is the nicer, more expensive area while Brownes Edition is more of an up-and-comer neighborhood with great houses at a more affordable price.  Most people I have talked to say to stay away from the Valley.  But I have never been out there so I can't say, personally, what is bad about it.

Montanahopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 05:53:54 PM »
Any current Gonzaga students have thoughts on LEEWS or Planet Law School or E and E?? I am curious what I should be doing this summer before I come there...thanks for any help.
Hell, yeah: U. Montana, West Virginia, Gonzaga $, Willamette, Vermont Law School
Hell, no: U.Oregon
Hell, waitlisted:Seattle

Angie4Prez

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2005, 09:33:54 PM »
So, I am gearing up for the start of Gonzaga Law School.  Just curious if any of you Zags out there had any opinions of the law profs you have had so far.  Any you recommend, love, dislike?

- Pai