Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northeastern Curriculum  (Read 4586 times)

sandpoet

• View Profile
    • Email
Northeastern Curriculum
« on: May 03, 2004, 12:06:08 PM »
A gruelling three years without breaks? Can anyone out there tell me their personal experience at Northeastern? I am trying to decide if one can balance a family life with the Co-op program. What is it like? Would you have chosen a more traditional school?

Sandpoet

jhport12

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Northeastern Curriculum
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 02:16:34 PM »
Sandpoet,

Keep in mind that during your summers you are supposed to be working at a law firm or nonprofit doing legal work anyway.  Any school you go to will be hectic for the full three years.  Of course with NUSL if you have to move to do a Co-op then that can be a huge hassle.
     The NUSL students I've talked have found the Co-op program to be amazing; it's the thing that makes Northeastern stand out in the first place.  The opportunity to try four different legal jobs at the same time you are taking classes is incredible.
     The fact of the matter is that balancing family life with law school is going to be extremely difficult wherever you go; you'll have to focus almost all of your energy on law school to succeed.  I don't think going to NUSL would make that any harder than going to another school.

A gruelling three years without breaks? Can anyone out there tell me their personal experience at Northeastern? I am trying to decide if one can balance a family life with the Co-op program. What is it like? Would you have chosen a more traditional school?

Sandpoet

NeverForever

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 02:10:46 PM »
The co-op program really interests me, I think that it would be incredible to get all this experience, not to mention that it could set up some strong contacts for the job search after graduation.

I just worry that it could be overwhelming to do all the class work in addition to the co-op. I love Boston though, so that's the big draw for me.

aspinxtreem

• gpa 3.3, lsat 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 01:31:45 AM »
The co-op quarters are actually a nice break.  You get away from the all-law-school, all-the-time schedule to a 9-5 Monday through Friday schedule.  Co-op gives you the opportunity to not only make contacts in the legal community but learn more than you ever could in a classroom setting.  Many co-ops offer the students the opportunity to draft motions, briefs, opinions, possibly advocate in court.  Several employers have students representing clients and experiencing what it is "really like" to be a lawyer.  (sorry, sounds cheesy, but it's true.)