Law School Discussion

Study Abroad

Study Abroad
« on: May 02, 2004, 02:42:23 PM »
I am currently an undergrad student.  I am considering Study Abroad.  I do not want to spend so much money during undergrad (course are upwards $12,000 for a summer), but I might want to study abroad during law school (I'll probably be paying $30,000+/semester, so why not spend some more money?).  I would prefer to study in either Europe or Australia.  I know Andrew was in the Netherlands recently (yeah, I’ve been reading about his escapades at  I’d prefer to do it (study abroad, that is) in either my 2L or 3L spring semester, that way I’d already (hopefully) have my summer job lined up.  I do not speak a foreign language fluently; however, I could always teach myself, in the case that English is not the official language.  Presently, I have no ‘specialty.’  I am willing to consider any type of law. 

I am wondering if Study Abroad during law school is a good idea.  I have many questions, but most would be specific to a certain program.

Right now, my main questions are:

- Would studying abroad hurt my job prospects?
- Would Study Abroad be a waste if I decided not to pursue a career in international/comparative law?

Also, for anyone who has done Study Abroad in college or law school:

- Where did you go?
- What did you do?
- What was good/bad about the program?
- What do you believe you gained from the overall experience?

Re: Study Abroad
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 03:43:13 AM »
In my opinion, studying abroad is never a bad thing.

It's necessary in many cases if you want to work abroad; and if you don't, it still shows that you are able to adapt to a different culture, and that you're not afraid of change.

However, since you only speak English, I think you should consider studying in an English speaking country. It's already difficult to learn a new language form scratch at 2x years, let alone taking law classes in that language.

Re: Study Abroad
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 04:37:24 AM »

i am a 1L, but i studied abroad in college in Egypt, and worked with a legal aid project.
Language was definitely problem, BUT the office had a staff of translators that I could work with.

it is a cliche, but the experience changed my life.
i could not have done it without being a student.
for example, i did not have to pay international fees, and the study abroad staff guided me at every step.

if your school has a study program, it definitely worth investigating.
if your school doesn't, there are always other options.
this is something you could discuss with a professor.