Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Study Abroad  (Read 806 times)

Anti_Ivy

Study Abroad
« on: May 02, 2004, 02:42:23 PM »
I am currently an undergrad student.  I am considering Study Abroad.  I do not want to spend so much money during undergrad (course are upwards $12,000 for a summer), but I might want to study abroad during law school (I'll probably be paying $30,000+/semester, so why not spend some more money?).  I would prefer to study in either Europe or Australia.  I know Andrew was in the Netherlands recently (yeah, I’ve been reading about his escapades at http://andrewsinclair.org/).  I’d prefer to do it (study abroad, that is) in either my 2L or 3L spring semester, that way I’d already (hopefully) have my summer job lined up.  I do not speak a foreign language fluently; however, I could always teach myself, in the case that English is not the official language.  Presently, I have no ‘specialty.’  I am willing to consider any type of law. 

I am wondering if Study Abroad during law school is a good idea.  I have many questions, but most would be specific to a certain program.

Right now, my main questions are:

- Would studying abroad hurt my job prospects?
- Would Study Abroad be a waste if I decided not to pursue a career in international/comparative law?

Also, for anyone who has done Study Abroad in college or law school:

- Where did you go?
- What did you do?
- What was good/bad about the program?
- What do you believe you gained from the overall experience?

Maharishi

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Study Abroad
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 03:43:13 AM »
In my opinion, studying abroad is never a bad thing.

It's necessary in many cases if you want to work abroad; and if you don't, it still shows that you are able to adapt to a different culture, and that you're not afraid of change.

However, since you only speak English, I think you should consider studying in an English speaking country. It's already difficult to learn a new language form scratch at 2x years, let alone taking law classes in that language.

schoolgrrl

Re: Study Abroad
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 04:37:24 AM »

i am a 1L, but i studied abroad in college in Egypt, and worked with a legal aid project.
Language was definitely problem, BUT the office had a staff of translators that I could work with.

it is a cliche, but the experience changed my life.
i could not have done it without being a student.
for example, i did not have to pay international fees, and the study abroad staff guided me at every step.

if your school has a study program, it definitely worth investigating.
if your school doesn't, there are always other options.
this is something you could discuss with a professor.