;

Poll

which school should i go to?????

hastings
 5 (55.6%)
boston university
 4 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: True Horror Story  (Read 37350 times)

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
Re: True Horror Story
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 05:58:12 AM »
If it makes you feel better, here's a true quote from my 2L Evidence class (~ 150 students) which thankfully wasn't directed to me:

"If you ever say that to a judge, I hope he tells you to shut the f**ck up and sit down."

So don't feel that bad.

i've heard:

"if you were this unprepared for court, you could be sued for malpractice"

(not directed at me, thaksfully.)
case '09

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 12:33:01 PM »
What's wrong with gunners? I don't understand, if someone would rather answer the question wouldn't you want them to instead of you, especially if ou don't know it and the prof calls on you?

What is a gunner anyways? I've heard various definitions.
The accepted meaning of "gunner" is someone whose hand shoots up like a bullet from a gun every time the professor asks a question. 
As annoying as gunners are, there is a lot of validity to kmpnj's " premption "strategy.  Law professors get a sick, twisted pleasure out of calling on a student who they think might be unprepared.  Giving them the answer voluntarily ( if you actually do know the answer) denies them that pleasure.

Gunners also tend to go off on ridiculous tangents or ask hypotheticals on top of raising their hands for every question.

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 03:31:28 PM »
gunners raise their hand to express moral outrage whenever a legal principle is not to their liking.
case '09

correguachin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2007, 12:04:01 AM »
gunners raise their hand to express moral outrage whenever a legal principle is not to their liking.

Should I feel guilty for wanting to smack the mouth of the obnoxious girl in front of me that mumbles comments under her breathe every time someone else speaks in class?  When words come out of her mouth, she acts like it is gospel. 

One day, I will have had too much coffee, too many cigarettes, and too much stress. 

Maybe I should throw in a twinkie or two?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie_defense

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2007, 12:19:55 AM »
it would be wrong to smack such a person. but it's not wrong to want to. i'm totally self-important and have strongly-held opinions, but i know better than to use class time to assert it actively or passively.
case '09

correguachin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2007, 12:29:11 AM »
it would be wrong to smack such a person. but it's not wrong to want to. i'm totally self-important and have strongly-held opinions, but i know better than to use class time to assert it actively or passively.

Why can't we be more like Jesus?  At least he was humble?  Well, then again, he was crucified, poor bastard.  I mean, that.  Poor bastard.

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2007, 01:20:52 PM »
If it makes you feel better, here's a true quote from my 2L Evidence class (~ 150 students) which thankfully wasn't directed to me:

"If you ever say that to a judge, I hope he tells you to shut the f**ck up and sit down."

So don't feel that bad.

i've heard:

"if you were this unprepared for court, you could be sued for malpractice"

(not directed at me, thaksfully.)

wow.

m34ch

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2007, 08:26:08 PM »
This is why I'm a HUGE believer in the pre-emptive strike.  I usually volunteer for about 10 minutes or so, then I'm done for the class, unless something being said is particularly interesting.

gunner

this isn't a gunner play.  it's called the "man up theory of law school"  my contracts class was with a real tough old-school socratic method prof.  a friend and i had a contest to see who could get called on most every day. 

he ended up winning two days to three, (final score: 7 calls to 5) but at the end (this was in september of my first year) he said "Mr. M, put your hand down.  I'm going to ask people who don't know."  we did it to amuse ourselves in class, and we didn't care if we crashed and burned, which we both did, but it definitely had its bonuses.

I spent the rest of the semester in peace and quiet.
Albany Law, Class of 2009

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 01:01:15 PM »
This is why I'm a HUGE believer in the pre-emptive strike.  I usually volunteer for about 10 minutes or so, then I'm done for the class, unless something being said is particularly interesting.

gunner

So, riddle me this, batman...

How does volunteering for 10 minutes, and then not saying anything for the remaining 1 hour 5 minutes plus, make me a gunner?

A gunner is someone who talks all the time, usually with no point to what they are saying, other than to hear the wonderful sounds of their melodious voices.  Clearly, If the total class time is 75 minutes, and I volunteer for only 20% of it (at most), that would leave wholly 80% of the class time where the only communicating I'm doing is on IM.

If you think that makes me a gunner, maybe you are projecting your own "gunner-ness" upon me.  Maybe you're the type who has to say everything, all the time, and hates whenever anyone else dares to answer a question in class, because they clearly don't know the answer, because they are not nearly as brilliant as you are.

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2007, 11:12:46 AM »

gunner

So, riddle me this, batman...

How does volunteering for 10 minutes, and then not saying anything for the remaining 1 hour 5 minutes plus, make me a gunner?

A gunner is someone who talks all the time, usually with no point to what they are saying, other than to hear the wonderful sounds of their melodious voices.  Clearly, If the total class time is 75 minutes, and I volunteer for only 20% of it (at most), that would leave wholly 80% of the class time where the only communicating I'm doing is on IM.

If you think that makes me a gunner, maybe you are projecting your own "gunner-ness" upon me.  Maybe you're the type who has to say everything, all the time, and hates whenever anyone else dares to answer a question in class, because they clearly don't know the answer, because they are not nearly as brilliant as you are.

1 person in a class of about 90+ taking up 20% of the time is a little disproportionate dont you think?  And as most of us know, after grades come out after that first semester, a lot of gunners seem to learn their place. ;D