;

Poll

which school should i go to?????

hastings
 5 (55.6%)
boston university
 4 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: True Horror Story  (Read 37997 times)

buggirl92002

• View Profile
    • Email
True Horror Story
« on: April 28, 2004, 09:04:19 AM »
Picture this: You're taking Corporations taught by a Socratic Nazi. He's funny but brutal. With nearly 100 students in the class, you reasonably expect to be called on between once and three times during the semester. The professor jumps around the list of names all semester and consistently calls on new people every class, never calling on the same student within a three-week period. Enter yourself. You have briefed every case thoroughly all semester, typing neat little outlines to bring to school. During the second-to-last class, Socrotes calls on you and you shakily but decently rise to the occasion, briefing your case without too much trouble. Whew! "This is great," you think, "I won't even have to brief the cases for the last class since he would *never* call on me two classes in a row." Last class arrives and you lounge contentedly safe in your chair. Directly after the break, Mr. Nazi introduces the last case of the Semester. Suddenly you hear your name being called. At first you don't understand... "Why would he be saying my na... oh my G*d! this cannot be happening," you think, mentally returning to the place on the syllabus that indicates you'll lose 1/2 a letter grade if called on and you're unprepared. You turn what must have been a shade of red that would rival a fire-truck and start READING the case from the book. Your hands shake as you turn the page. The Socra-Nazi asks a question in what must be an obsolete tribal language once spoken in the Archipelagos... You barely escape a heart attack as you somehow finish the most humiliating 7 minutes of your life.... Yeah. Happened to yours truly. I suffered for all of you. Feel free to forward all sympathy and be glad you weren't me for the worst 7 minutes ever! :-)

TheJesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: True Horror Story
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 09:47:24 AM »
Aw, poor thing :)

Hopefully this happened early on in your law school career and you have at last a year or two still to benefit from the lesson learned... ;)

What law school do you attend?

zippy_zaboo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 08:25:16 PM »
If it makes you feel better, here's a true quote from my 2L Evidence class (~ 150 students) which thankfully wasn't directed to me:

"If you ever say that to a judge, I hope he tells you to shut the @#!* up and sit down."

So don't feel that bad.

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 07:39:21 PM »
If it makes you feel better, here's a true quote from my 2L Evidence class (~ 150 students) which thankfully wasn't directed to me:

"If you ever say that to a judge, I hope he tells you to shut the f**ck up and sit down."

So don't feel that bad.

I wish I had more professors like that. 

gordo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 09:54:26 PM »
 not that bad! because in the law school i am attending we expect to be called at least once a week in every subject and 1/3 of our grade is from recitation. ;D

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 11:04:49 PM »
not that bad! because in the law school i am attending we expect to be called at least once a week in every subject and 1/3 of our grade is from recitation. ;D

what is the name of this brutal hell?

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 02:34:43 PM »
Ah...law school.
Isn't it fun.
I think everyone who has been in law school for more than two years can recite one of these horror stories.

Cosmoline

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 06:11:21 PM »
Frankly being unprepared and learning to BS your way through it is one of the most important lessons you can learn in law school.  You must learn to sound like you know exactly what you're saying and that you believe it, showing no weakness.  At worst the professor will just trash your arguments.  I got very good at it after the first year.

plumbert

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 03:19:57 AM »
Ah...law school.
Isn't it fun.
I think everyone who has been in law school for more than two years can recite one of these horror stories.

I've only been in law school for two *days* and I have already been called by surprise to be drilled on a case I had not adequately briefed. Oh, I had the facts of the case down, and the rule and how it was applied in the holding, but I did not properly understand the procedural posture of the case--like an idiot, I figured it wasn't as important since this was a torts class--and I got it wrong. Worse, I wasn't smooth or confident in my wrongness.

I'm sure everyone thinks I'm a dolt now, but I'm not so sure everyone else in the classroom experienced the same vertigo, the silent-in-the-room, everybody-looking, heart-stopping badness of it all. Crow--it's what's for dinner!

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 11:20:41 AM »
Ah...law school.
Isn't it fun.

I've only been in law school for two *days* and I have already been called by surprise to be drilled on a case I had not adequately briefed. Oh, I had the facts of the case down, and the rule and how it was applied in the holding, but I did not properly understand the procedural posture of the case--like an idiot, I figured it wasn't as important since this was a torts class--and I got it wrong. Worse, I wasn't smooth or confident in my wrongness.

I'm sure everyone thinks I'm a dolt now, but I'm not so sure everyone else in the classroom experienced the same vertigo, the silent-in-the-room, everybody-looking, heart-stopping badness of it all. Crow--it's what's for dinner!

Don't worry.  Most of your class mates where not paying attention to you.  In fact, they were glad they were not called upon or reading the next case and praying that they don't get called upon.  Once you realize that your classmates do not care how you brief (they only care that YOU are briefing and not them), then you will be more relaxed and your briefs will be smoother.