Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thinking of Willamette??  (Read 4600 times)

Boxergirl

Thinking of Willamette??
« on: April 28, 2004, 06:28:29 AM »
Anyone who is planning on attending (or still considering accepting an offer of admission) to Willamette, post a reply...i'd love to chat more about the school.

dietdew

• View Profile
Re: Thinking of Willamette??
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 02:30:55 AM »
i'm probably going; i'd give it about an 80% chance.  did you go to their so-called "preview day"?  i went and it was the first time i'd seen the campus, which was probably the coolest campus i've ever seen.  the stream running through campus is pretty unique and i love that the best building on a great campus is the law building.  what do you think of the school?

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 11:38:56 AM »
I have not yet visited Willamette, but am actually going there this Thursday.  I'm pretty sure I'll be attending...the only way I won't is if I get off the waiting list at Lewis and Clark.  What did you think about Salem as a city?  Is there much to do there?  Is there much in walking distance from the campus?  Where will you be living?  Did you meet any professors or talk to any students there?

dietdew

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 03:32:12 AM »
Salem?  That was a question mark for me, too.  Though I didnít get to spend much time there (1 day, 1 night), it still struck me as a remarkably clean city, clean regardless of where you were in town.  I read somewhere that its population is approx. 140,000, so (by my standards) thereís probably plenty to do.  Mind you, though, Iím from Eastern Washington so pretty much everything west of the mountains seems huge to me.  So whether thereís much to do is kind of relative, but every time I read a description of Salem from Willamette they make sure to point out that Portland, Eugene, the ocean, and the mountains are all w/in an hourís drive.  Does this mean that the main thing to do in Salem is to go somewhere else?

I do know that Salem has a Goldís gym, which is nice because I like to work out and already have a membership.  Maybe Iíll find a place close to the gym, but right now I donít have much idea where I plan on living.  If you find a convenient or fun area, let me know.  Also, if you end up going downtown, Iíd like to know how the nightlife is so that Iíll know what Iím missing out on when Iím spending my Friday nights studying.

Unfortunately, I didnít really meet any current Willamette students, but my general impression was that the students were pretty laid back.  You might get a different impression, though, since Iím guessing itís close to finals week.  The professors with whom I spoke seemed really open and genuine, but of course they would try to give that impression regardless. 

2 other things that I thought were pretty cool:  the law library is open 24 hrs, and the Capital is so close that it looks like itís part of campus. 

What do you know about Salem/Willamette?  Do you know whether itís considered more liberal or conservative?  Do you know anyone whoís also planning on attending or has attended Willamette (law school or not)?  I do know of at least one person who went to undergrad there; I think Iíll track her down and ask her about it. 

Good luck w/L&C, btw.

TWUKaili

• MSN Messenger - mandylaw@sbcglobal.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ucdmandy22
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 05:26:23 PM »
Hi, I'm thinking of attending Willamette. I was just accepted off their waitlist today and am definately considering it. Do you have any opinion of the school? Can you tell me anything about it? Have you talked to anyone else that goes there? I don't really know that much about it, and am really eager to try and find some information! Thanks, look forward to chatting with you!