Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1st time bar takers v. Repeaters  (Read 628 times)

What the hell?

1st time bar takers v. Repeaters
« on: April 22, 2004, 06:41:05 PM »
Why is it that the first time % rate is always much higher than the overall passage rate? Is this b/c those who have failed the first time are likely to do so again? It appears that those who have tested before would have a better chance of passing. Thus, resulting in a higher passage rate for "all takers."

buggirl92002

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1st time bar takers v. Repeaters
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 01:00:52 PM »
Unfortunately your initial assessment is statistically the correct one. It seems failing one time correlates with failing subsequently. I don't think statistics are determinative, however. If you don't make it the first time, you can certainly learn from your mistakes. I think it is silly to predicate readiness for lawyering solely on a written test that requires short-term retention of a bunch of stuff lawyers will either never look at again or can look up in a code book or via case law anyway; but I digress....

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
Re: 1st time bar takers v. Repeaters
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 10:16:27 AM »
What typically happens is that the people who have put the work in to pass get it on the first try.  The people who just missed by a few points make it on the second try and everyone else never gets it.

The pass rates on third attempts and beyond are extremely low.

The further removed you are from the school environment and studying the less likely you are to pass. In many cases if you fail the February exam, you do not know until May.  It may be too late at that point to take the June exam.  That means you have a year to wait.  What happens then is that the examinee has to spend that year making a living and doesn't find much time to study or tells themself that they have plenty of time and the next thing they know is it's Christmas and they have not begun to prepare for the exam.