Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Baltimore admission  (Read 8665 times)

Abhi

Baltimore admission
« on: April 18, 2004, 02:10:49 PM »
I have applied to Baltimore law. My nos. are not impressive 150, 3.47, so I do not know  what my chances are, but please provide me with any input possible. Also, I know little about the school, so help me out.
Abhi

JLaw

• View Profile
Re: Baltimore admission
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 02:48:43 AM »
The school is not well ranked, but it's not bad.  I hear it is especially good at training lawyers to handle the courtroom.  UB has some great professors and many UB students are very succesful.

dm10020

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 10:19:38 PM »
Baltimore is one of those rare "diamond in the rough" schools.  Graduates place very well in Maryland. It's a regional school, so I'm not sure of its rep. outside of Maryland. Your stats are at the lower quartile but you have a chance.

lkw

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 09:18:00 AM »
If you haven't already-you will definitely get into UBalt...

lawyer

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 04:01:34 PM »
"If you haven't already-you will definitely get into UBalt..."

Your GPA is at the 75th percentile, however your LSAT's is at the 25th percentile. I'm a 3L at UB, and I'm told they had over 3,000 app's this year, so to say "you will definitely get into UBalt" is an uninformed answer.  With that said, you have a decent shot depending on the rest of your application.

Balt 1L

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 10:22:34 AM »
I would have to agree with lawyer, you have a strong chance if the rest of your package is strong. However, you probably need a +155 LSAT and +3.0 GPA to be a definite.
FYI...I was accepted with a 150/3.27 for the 2004-05 cycle, MS in Engineering from a very large Maryland public school, and 5 years of W/E.

OBTW...about 1/3 of MD state Judges are UB graduates (or Mt. Vernon Law School graduates, which merged with UB some time back), with UB judges on both MD appellate level courts. And UB grads have a comperable MD bar pass rate with UMAB (Univesity of Maryland at Baltimore, a tier 1) grads. Just make sure you are ok with Maryland, because the hierachtical nature of law schools will hinder your ability to practice outside of Maryland right out of school.

LawGirl80

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 03:47:07 PM »
I have been offered a position in the Summer Institute from UB.  The letter states that after succesful completion of this conditional admission program I am assured a place in the 2005 entering class. Does anyone know exactly what this program is and what it consists of?  Also, does anyone know if you are committed to UB if you choose to do the summer program.  The deposit for the program is due within 15 days but I have not recieved responses from the other schools that I have applied to.  Any suggestion on what to do?  Thank you in advance for your assistance and suggestions, they are much appreciated!!

beemore03

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 12:14:58 AM »
I have recently been accepted to UB (T4 by the way) as well. But my big problem is financial. I haven't gotten a scholarship so all that leaves is loans, which don't help a whole heck of a lot b/c I'm out of state. On the other hand, I got a full tuition scholarship from a T3. But I'm still enamored with Baltimore b/c I grew up there, the profs are AWESOME, the weather is much better than the T3 school, and I think job placement might be more available b/c of the proximity to DC? Any thoughts on this?

Another question, I have heard that a student can't get federal loans if a scholarship covers more than the 18,500 max. Does anyone know if this is true?

DOCLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 02:29:12 PM »
Accepted and placed seat deposite at UB (part-time day).   I am a Maryland resident so I will be able to pay my own tuition.
WL at Maryland (1st choice).
      American
      GM
LawGirl80,  If you want practice in Maryland then I would place my deposite down for the summer program while waiting to hear from the other schools.  UBalt places very well in Maryland. But harder to place in DC.   
As long as you do not sign any contract I would be very surprised if they forced you to attend after you completed the summer program.    But contact admissions and get clarification.
Good luck!

5525bravo

• Work hard, fly hard, play hard, and stay hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 03:31:01 PM »
Just curious, those who got into the summer institute.. what are your stats?

I was denied last year for the full time program.  My stats were 3.1 and 142. Wasn't even accepted to the SUmmer Program.

I don't know if I should apply to their part time program. I'm a MD resident, if that helps.
Man must rise above the Earth -- to the top of the atmosphere and beyond -- for only thus will he fully understand the world in which he lives.

Socrates