Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are federal installations part of the states that surround them?  (Read 1623 times)

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
From a legal standpoint, are federal installations, like army bases, part of the state that surrounds them or do they stand apart based on federal sovereignty?

Thanks.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

holidayinspain

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are federal installations part of the states that surround them?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 09:02:51 AM »
i am not sure what you mean by "federal soverignty," if you mean jurisdiction, I am pretty sure they are fully under military law and crimes are tried under their tribunals. As for civil law, i think those living on the base are domicilaries of the state where they "came from" or possibly the state where the base is... depending.

maybe that is not the question you are asking at all. you are posting in the students and grads board, so now that i think about it, you probably have had civpro and so what i said probably wasnt an answer you were looking for... eh...

hs.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 10:15:05 AM »
Yes, I should have said jurisdiction.

I'm a soon-to-be student who snuck into this forum, so no civpro yet.

I've been told or read or something that federal property is specifically not part of a state and was looking for confirmation.

I'm considering getting into a pissing contest with a certain state and am using this forum to see if some of my ideas pass the laughter test.

:)

i am not sure what you mean by "federal soverignty," if you mean jurisdiction, I am pretty sure they are fully under military law and crimes are tried under their tribunals. As for civil law, i think those living on the base are domicilaries of the state where they "came from" or possibly the state where the base is... depending.

maybe that is not the question you are asking at all. you are posting in the students and grads board, so now that i think about it, you probably have had civpro and so what i said probably wasnt an answer you were looking for... eh...

hs.

holidayinspain

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 10:54:44 PM »
you mean real property-- like land?

there is a difference in terms of ownership and jurisdiction, i mean the bases in state X probably couldn't say "we are no longer part of state X we are now our own state" but in terms of jurisdiction over criminal matters they are probably free from state jurisdiction (and under military law) unless a civilian is involved... hmmm, there must be some military historians out there.... come out come out....

the military is so not my thing, so i admit all ignorance... sorry gruber.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 03:22:08 PM »
A federal installation, like an army base.

you mean real property-- like land?

there is a difference in terms of ownership and jurisdiction, i mean the bases in state X probably couldn't say "we are no longer part of state X we are now our own state" but in terms of jurisdiction over criminal matters they are probably free from state jurisdiction (and under military law) unless a civilian is involved... hmmm, there must be some military historians out there.... come out come out....

the military is so not my thing, so i admit all ignorance... sorry gruber.

holidayinspain

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 06:54:30 PM »
i know what he meant in terms of "an army base," what i am unsure about is whether gruber wants to know about the real property-(land) that the base is on, or about the court's jurisdiction over the goings on there...

thanks tho.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 01:09:33 PM »
It more of a question of tax authority. 

crr277

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 01:10:05 PM »
No, federal installations (military bases) are real properties that belong to the federal government.  The only reason that I know this is because I'm an army brat.  Example, if you get a speeding ticket on a military base ($100+), you will pay the federal government.  The state has no control over a military base that is within its state.  What specific tax questions are you asking?

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 01:17:47 PM »
Income tax withheld from my pay for work I do on a military installation.  The tax is for a state that I am not a resident of and the state I live in does not have income tax.

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 10:01:08 AM »
I am not a lawyer.  This is not legal advice.  If you want to look up the laew this is where to look.

Ala.Code 1975 40-18-2  Levied; persons and subjects taxable generally.

(6) Every nonresident individual receiving income from property owned or business transacted in Alabama;
----------
My non legal interpretation,

"property owned or business transacted in Alabama", The federal government "owns" the propery within the bounderies of the state. 

Further, in my non-legal opinion, under the long arm provisions, you are subject to jurisdiction in the state because you avail yourself of the state on a regular systematic way by traveling by puposefully coming to the state on a regular basis by choice to work.

You probably can file an Alabama tax return and get a refund.  I don't know that for sure. It is worth looking into.