Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: summer before law school  (Read 8945 times)

Ezekiel

• View Profile
Re: summer before law school
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 11:18:26 PM »
Whoa!  I just realized this thread is waaaaaaaaay old. Does anyone actually use this section anymore?  Maybe I can get at least this thread revived...

Don't you hate it when you reply to a thread and then realize that it's been over a year since anyone else said anything.  My congrats to you for getting this thread revived.  Good advice too.

Mark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 01:37:04 AM »
I just replied to an ad on monstertrak for the job I started this week.  I also interviewed at a few (4) temp agencies, sent out my resume to every single law firm listed in the NALP directory, and then started randomly emailing lawyers on lawyers.com.  The alumni networking site for my college didn't work out so well so I gave up on that. 

The bad news is this law firm doesn't seem to want to keep me the whole summer, and they're looking for a replacement for me now.  So I'm going to keep on going on interviews for another secretary/legal assistant job.  Partly, I just want to see what goes on in a firm so that I get more experience and am able to determine earlier what kind of law I want ot do and so that I don't feel so lost when I come out of law school and don't know what basic legal terms and documents are.

estet_5

• Hoorah
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 11:09:44 AM »
Im taking the CPA exam after an undergrad of accounting.

scottxmacdougall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2005, 09:09:57 PM »
I heard from a law professor at Seton Hall that the best thing you can do before law school is to get a full time job. Get into the habit of working 8-12 hrs a day so you're not bombarded with the overwhelming amount of work that will in August.I took his advice. I'm working on the Corzine for Governor campaign in New Jersey. I go into work at 10am and usually don't leave the office til about 9. I do love my job though, so its not too bad.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 09:21:45 PM »
Uh oh... I guess all the lounging around I've been doing this summer isn't helping me at all.  I do feel rested and ready, though.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

e d m o n d

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 09:35:11 PM »

I just replied to an ad on monstertrak for the job I started this week. I also interviewed at a few (4) temp agencies,

Don't interwiew with temp agencies. They are scams. There's a conspiracy afoot, one meant to squish flat the essential bare necessities of young people trying to make it in the world.  All they care about is your typing speed, treating you like a retarded child. Like a data entry clerk. The tests they administer you are given on outdated PCs with barely legible keyboard buttons. After the "introductory interview" is over, your resumé is politely dismissed. When a mortgage company wants a data entry clerk, they want a chirpy, pleasant blonde girl with a nice smile. Someone with an extensive wardrobe of interesting clothes which aren't from Mervyns. Someone who isn't jaded or sarcastic after 5 years of service in the field. When a brokerage firm is hiring developers, again that's code for "send us a girl." That's all anyone cares about anymore. Girls and blondes. These men in their offices work hard. These are f**cked-up times and men need something to look at. Even women with smaller boobs are securing rewarding careers.

Kait

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 01:25:46 AM »
The summer before I went to law school (straight out of undergrad) I babysat 8-5, M-F.  It was awesome.  I took the kids to the pool, carted them to golf lessons, played tag and watched Full House.  Perfectly mindless, ridiculously relaxing.  It has not hurt me one bit. 

Summer after 1L I worked at a small law firm.  They did not even ask what I did the summer before law school.  All the interview Q's were variations of "Why did you go to law school?" "How do you like it?" "What was your favorite class?" "Has it met your expectations?"

Now, I am interviewing for my 2L summer.  Not a soul has asked about the summer before law school because they all ask about my 1L summer. 

Do whatever you want the summer before law school - no one will even know.  I'd highly recommend a mindless job (or one that you will enjoy without having to push too hard) to relax before you have to really grind when 1L starts.  For the summer after 1L, absolutely get a job that is law-related, regardless of pay or how it relates to the law.  You'll need something to put on your resume and discuss in 2L interviews, plus the practical experience (research and writing) will be useful.

parlezvous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 04:23:30 AM »
Don't think too much about a job right now, it's time to think about law school .. after you're done with the first year of law school, THEN you are justified when looking to fine-tune your resume ..