Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: going to Duquesne  (Read 39846 times)

joshdelight

• AOL Instant Messenger - nipchee
    • View Profile
Re: going to Duquesne
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2004, 05:59:53 PM »
My reading of the above notice is that the Property class is cancelled for that date only.

Anybody coming tomorrow night?  C'mon, you know you want to! I'll certainly be there.
Wouldn't it be grand if our Department of Defense was not offensive?

Jackie

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2004, 11:17:23 PM »
Interesting to have another property class cancelled. I was orginally in proprty C, then moved to B. Now B has only 2 classes. Will having only 2 property classes effect anything?
Could you word your question differently? I don't understand what you mean.
All I can tell you is that Professor Spyke probably has to be out of town, so she and Barker have made an arrangment. For this date only, you'll go to Legal Process during the time you normally have Property, and sometime during this semester you'll go to Property one time instead of going to Legal Process. You'll end up having the same number of classes of Property and Legal Process for the semester as you would without this change. Does that answer your questions?

Sorry joshdelight, can't join your soiree. I'm on the other side of the state for a week. Hope everyone has fun.

joshdelight

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2004, 12:13:19 PM »
Well, my Duquesne law school night at the Sharp Edge turned into a Duquesne psychology Phd candidates' night at the Sharp Edge (coincidentally, my roommate was meeting his people there at the same time).  I didn't run into any law students there, but then again, I didn't leave any contact information so you would be able to recognize me.  I did bring my Bluebook, though; I thought it would be the most visible legal 'Scarlet Letter.'

General Questions for all of you:
What are you using as organizational aids? (e.g. Palm Pilots, expanding files, spiral schedulers, etc.)

Have any of you picked up a Black's Legal Dictionary?  Do you know if the condensed is accepted by most, or if the unabridged is a must-have?

I went with a PalmOne Tungsten T3.  It seems to be very versatile, and I liked the ability to use color and categories for organizing my schedule and prioritizing.  Also, there is a great deal of legal software out there for Palm-type PDAs.  As a tech-geek, I was using my laptop for my to-do lists and scheduling, but it was a serious pain to sit down, get out my laptop, open it, wait for it to wake up--just to get my schedule, phonebook, or to-do list.  The T3 is cool in that you can use it for all of this, and also use it as an MP3/video player (right now you can put up to 2 GB of extra memory in it), and it has a screen that is almost 3 square inches larger than all of the others.

Jackie:
Pardon the question, but are you a guy or girl?  I only ask because I think I heard you referenced in a conversation if you are a guy - as a 'big' L helping out us 'littles.'   ::)

Jackie

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2004, 05:56:26 PM »
Hey joshdelight,
I'm a girl.  I don't know of any male "Jackies" at school, but I do know a "Jack." Maybe the speaker didn't know I was a girl?

I could answer a few of your otherquestions. A condensed Black's dictionary is acceptable. The library has huge unabridged ones you can use if the Black's fails you.

A lot of people have laptops, but less than 50% use them in class. And this is good because when everyone is typing at the same time it makes a lot of noise.
I've only seen a handful of Palm Pilots. One girl uses one in class with her keyboard. The first time a professor noticed he stopped class so he could get a closer look at it.
The rest of us use our laptops in the library, or don't bring them to school at all.

joshdelight

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2004, 08:57:02 PM »
Hm... less than 50% use them in class.  This is interesting, and certainly a departure from those shiny prospectii that many of the schools sent out during the application process, where every picture of classes in session had a laptop in front of every student.

Then again, we go to one of the few law schools out there that doesn't provide a one-time laptop allowance in calculating the cost of attendance.  GOD that pissed me off!  I wound up getting my laptop on a line of credit, and I am getting raped on the interest.  (Pardon my rant--finances have been driving me crazy as of late, and I just got out of a relationship where my ex was certainly appreciative of my healthy credit, to put it subtly.  Hey, some of us learn things the hard way!)

Now for something completely different --

Jackie, are you a 'big sister' for us littles, or are  you just a kind informant?  Either way, I appreciate the info you've provided. Are you from Eastern PA?  I'm from right outside the Main Line, in Chester Springs (although I guess I am a bona fide Picksburgher now ;) ).

Jackie

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2004, 10:48:55 PM »
Worrying about money is the one thing that has ever made me wish I didn't go to law school.  Do what you can to make sure you don't have to worry about it too much because it is important not to have any major distractions while you're in school; especially during exams. 
It totally sucks that Duquesne doesn't allow for computer purchases. Maybe with enough complaints they'll change that.

I am in the Big Brother/Sister program. I have three littles, but two of them haven't returned my initial phone call.  :( I'm also in SBA (the Student Bar Association) so I usually help out during Orientation. Usually I help out at the picnic, but I'm putting my birthday celebration and time with my family ahead of Law School this year and staying east until Sunday.
At this point I can't really say I'm from Eastern PA because I've lived all over. 12 years in lower Bucks County, 6 years in Erie, 3 years in Indiana, Pa, 3 years in Pittsburgh, and I'm looking to move to State College after this year. My parents have moved back east after living in Erie for 12 years. They live in Douglassville now, near Reading and Pottstown, and I'm visiting them.  I can't tell you how relaxing it is to get so far away from Duquesne after the last 2 years, even if it is temporary.  :D

solarae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2011, 10:38:59 AM »
Are any of you still around? Would you mind commenting on what it's been like to be a Duquesne law grad? I am trying to decide if it's a good choice for me.

thanks!