Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: going to Duquesne  (Read 38303 times)

Re: going to Duquesne
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2004, 09:48:23 AM »
Robert,
     I am VERY SORRY to hear that you have Barker for Legal Process.  I would reccomend that you enjoy this next week or so because Barker will make your life difficult until mid-December.  I have found that his grading is extremely difficult; additionally, he teaches his first year class in a very hostile manner.  My reccomendation would be to make sure you have all of the reading completed for class and to keep your head down and mouth shut.  I'm not trying to scare anyone.  I'm merely speaking from experience.  His class is not impossible, but it is very difficult.  Best wishes and good luck!!!

« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2004, 10:18:31 AM »
Robert other first years,
     What other professors do you have?

Robert

« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2004, 10:30:34 AM »
spyke-property
murray-contracts
barker-legal process
browne-barbour-torts
taylor-civil
rago-criminal
kwisnek-legal research

« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2004, 11:26:55 AM »
Robert,

spyke-property: she's demanding but a great prof
murray-contracts: he wrote the book- need I say more
barker-legal process- what else is there to say
browne-barbour-torts: demanding, must memorize the restatement of torts to do well; overall, she's one of the most approachable professors for first year students
taylor-civil- I don't have any personal knowledge of this prof
rago-criminal- good class
kwisnek-legal research- I didn't have Dean Kwisnek, but from what I've heard, she's a good prof

I hope this helps!!!

Robert

« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2004, 11:29:02 AM »
thanks for the info

Should be a interesting year.

joshdelight

• AOL Instant Messenger - nipchee
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2004, 10:07:10 PM »
Contracts - Murray
Crim Proc - Hirsch
Legal Proc- Barker
Property - Spyke
Torts - Browne-Barbour
Leg Writing - Gilliland

Wouldn't it be grand if our Department of Defense was not offensive?

Jackie

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2004, 08:59:36 PM »
joshdelight:
Hirsch is so boring, I'm sorry to hear you have him. About Spyke: I think the guest poster said she's demanding and that is very true. And maybe it is just because she's female but when you are not as prepared as she wants you to be, it feels like you have just disappointed your mother. But she is great.
Unlike your other professors, Murray doesn't keep track of who he has called on, so you could get called on five times in a row. It is nice to know in Property or Torts that if you were just called on in the last couple weeks, you don't have to be 100% prepared everyday. Not so in Contracts. You could get called on at any moment with Murray. But that is the only downside to his class.
I did better in Crim Process and Legal Process than I did in Contracts or Property, (I think I've just had more background in those subjects,) but because of that, I don't think Barker and Hirsch are the harsh graders most other students think they are.
I had Gilliland for writing too. I think he gives out pretty good grades. There are some really tough writing profs out there so you're probably lucky with him.
Oh, and Taylor-he spends a lot of time talking about his views in Civil Procedure. He doesn't cover as much substantive material as I would have liked, but he's not a bad guy or mean or anything. His bluntness can border on brutal honestly.

joshdelight

• AOL Instant Messenger - nipchee
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2004, 12:07:28 AM »
Jackie:

You rock.  Thanks for the 'heads up.'  As far as Barker and Hirsch are concerned, I also appreciate the second opinion.  I can be a bit of a contrarian as far as the 'dreaded' profs are concerned, so who knows what'll happen (the less anxiety going in, the better).

I think that it is SO important (at least I keep telling myself this) that I go in knowing that it will be one hell of a challenge, and that I will give it my absolute best.  The eve of 1L is a little nerve racking, so I feel a little tenuous - but... so many others have felt the same way.  There's a little solace in that!

Everybody Else:

Finding myself wildly unprepared for any sort of BBQ at my house, I propose something entirely different.

I'd like to meet up with any of you who are interested (including non 1L's ;) ) at the Sharp Edge Beer Emporium this Wednesday night at 8, in Friendship.  It is a nice place, good food, and a great selection of Belgian beer (the best on earth, if you don't know beer).

The information for the Sharp Edge is as follows:
302 South St. Clair  Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
412-661-3537
http://www.sharpedgebeer.com/emporium.html

You really don't want to get directions from me.  I suggest plugging in the above address into mapquest - it'll get you there no problem. It is no more than 1/4 mile from the intersection of Friendship & South Negley.

Cheers!
Wouldn't it be grand if our Department of Defense was not offensive?

Jackie

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2004, 11:52:03 PM »
Section B Class change:

(This is from the bulletin board)

PROFESSOR SPYKE'S PROPERTY CLASS ON WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 25 IS CANCELLED. ON THAT DATE YOU WILL HAVE TWO LEGAL PROCESS CLASS MEETINGS: THE REGULARLY-SCHEDULED CLASS AT 11:00 A.M. IN ROOM 204, AND A SECOND CLASS AT 1:30 P.M. IN ROOM 303. AUGUST 16, 2004

In case you haven't seen it already, class announcements are generally at this website: http://www2.duq.edu/lawboard/bulletinboard.cfm

nuhusky

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2004, 09:36:24 AM »
Interesting to have another property class cancelled. I was orginally in proprty C, then moved to B. Now B has only 2 classes. Will having only 2 property classes effect anything?