Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: going to Duquesne  (Read 37558 times)

dave c

Re: going to Duquesne
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2004, 07:00:25 PM »
Hi all:

That pile of books I mentioned last week is up on ebay with pics:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6916382781&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I went to DU so the books are more likely to fit the needs of a DU student than anyone else.  For example, Professor Gray wrote the Mortgages book and Dr. Murray wrote the Contracts book.  Moreover, you'll have an easier time selling off the extra books for the classes you don't take (for which I have books) to fellow DU students.  So, a crafty student among you would see this as a heck of a business opportunity.

By the way, I just got back from the California bar exam.  I can say that it was indeed significantly more grueling than the PA exam.  As to difficulty, I guess we'll have to wait and see how I did.

Good luck to all of you next year.

Dave

dave c

« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2004, 07:11:24 PM »
oh by the way, all those non commercial outlines are directly from DU clases.  Many of them will get circulated amongst you but it's nice to have your own pile in the beginning.  They are like a currency all their own.

Jackie

« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2004, 12:37:48 AM »
Just wondering if anyone else got their class schedule and bill? What sections are people in?

I noticed another future 1L said he's in section 1. All the day classes are section 01. If you haven't received it already, you should soon receive some mail that says you are either in section A or B, and it will list all the first year assignments.

Also, you should soon receive a letter about the Big Brother/Big Sister program and picnic.
On August 21st there will be a picnic behind the law school. All the student organizations will be presented (though you can't join most of them until your 2nd year), plus food and new and old law students. You'll be assigned a mentor and the picnic is usually a good opporutnity to meet him or her.
Good luck!
Hope no one minds if I post a few more answers to questions that have been raised.

Jackie

« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2004, 12:38:46 AM »
Hello,
     I noticed that someone was not able to find the PA Legal Research book.  A helpful hint: don't buy the book; it's completely unnecessary from my experience.  There will be assigned readings from the book, but they are of little help.  If you really feel the need to buy the book, split it with a buddy.  Best wishes to all soon to be first years at Duquesne!!!

I completely agree. I don't know anyone who doesn't consider that book a waste of money.

Jackie

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2004, 12:48:36 AM »
As for jobs after your first year:
The best option, if you can afford it, is to work for a judge. This doesn't pay, but there are about 3 jobs in Pittsburgh for 1L's that pay.
After my first year I went back to the law firm I worked at before I started school, so I was lucky to get paid. But I didn't get as much experience as I would have liked.

Jobs can be pretty sparse after your 2nd year too. As far as I can tell, only the top 25% got paying jobs ($10/hr or above) for this summer. One exception to this are students who obtained a job and worked during their second year. It is hard to do this though because of the demands of school work.  Writing cover letters, going to interviews and writing thank you letters can take a lot of time.
But it has been a pretty hard summer for law students, one of the worst I think.

So do what you can during the school year (either save or get a small loan to pay your rent for the summer, or live with mom and dad) in case you have to work for free. But you can't be distracted by this during the year. Get your resume ready now or do it over winter break, and have a basic cover letter ready to send out quickly. One key to getting a job is applying as soon as you can.

Benjamin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: August 08, 2004, 10:35:23 AM »
Is anyone else staying in the dorm?

joshdelight

• AOL Instant Messenger - nipchee
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2004, 06:51:55 PM »
Ah... right.  I am in Section B (as well as section 01  ;) ). 

So this picnic on the 21st... when does it begin/end? 

Also, I'd love to put faces to all of you posters.  I am thinking about doing something cheesy like holding up a lawschooldiscussion.org sign.

I am still looking for a roommate to share my 2 bedroom place in Friendship.  Check out my topic, it is one of the few topics in our little Duquesne section of the site. 
Wouldn't it be grand if our Department of Defense was not offensive?

Robert

« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2004, 07:40:54 PM »
josh, looks like you and I are in the same section

Jackie

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2004, 11:15:51 PM »
The picnic begins at 12 and goes to 3 pm, but you can come and go whenever you want. It is pretty casual. Most of the student organizations will be there, but they will also be at the law school on Monday, the 23rd, for your registration and orientation.
You probably don't have to do a sign :-) I think everyone wears name tags so maybe that will help you meet other lawschooldiscussion.org posters.
I am a section B student myself. Do you still have Murray for Contracts and Barker for Process?
Who do you have for Torts? If you don't have McClendon, then the worst part of your schedule will be Barker for Legal Process. Boy, is he tough to first years.

Make sure you enjoy the next week and a half!

Robert

« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2004, 09:15:26 AM »
I've got barker for legal process, what makes him so hard?