Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: going to Duquesne  (Read 39329 times)

joshdelight

• AOL Instant Messenger - nipchee
    • View Profile
Re: going to Duquesne
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2004, 12:50:34 AM »
I have secured my fed loans, but I am still working on getting the rest of my funding... who did all of you use for the 'supplementary' loans, above and beyond the $18,500 combined Stafford and Pell?  Why did you pick that particular funder?

Thanks! I really need some sort of guidance in this... Duquesne's financial aid office was almost useless, and I have never had to take out student loans before.
Wouldn't it be grand if our Department of Defense was not offensive?

enjoydavid

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2004, 08:31:00 AM »
Josh,

I used the Access Group's Law Access Loan to fund the remainder from my Stafford.  Why, they seemed pretty good and I could do everything online.

Robert

« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2004, 09:04:17 AM »
CPA-1

IF you don't mind, but what or who are the big 4?

CPA-1

« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2004, 09:29:49 AM »
Robert,
     The Big 4 are the four largest accounting firms- PWC, Deloite, KPMG, and E&Y.

Sarah Andrews

« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2004, 05:28:32 PM »
I agree with the above summary of neighborhoods for the most part, but simply must put in a good word for the Northside.  I live on the Mexican War Streets which is a historic district and truly enjoy it.  There are attendant urban problems, but I wouldn't discount it as a place to live. 
I am a Duquesne 2L.  If I could start my first year over I'd have read a little more of my casebooks before classes started.  You won't be very good at briefing until you get to school.  By the time I figured out how to do them well, I gave them up as too time comsuming.  But some people find them invaluable.  Best advice, hit the ground running.  I stay at school every day until at least 6 or seven and put in a full day on Sunday.  Double that amount of time for the three weeks before finals.   I sit and read my casebooks with a friend or two, it's like running, you go farther if someone else is keeping pace.

I have found Duquesne to be a wonderful community.  Happy to answer any questions.

laurel131

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2004, 04:44:43 PM »
Hi Sarah ... I am going to be a 1-L in the fall at Duquesne, and was wondering what the most difficult aspect of law school has been for you (if any). Other than that, thanks for posting the advice.  I'm not sure what section I am going to be in yet, but I definately will take your advice about reading up on cases for the first day, etc. From what I understand, we don't find out what section we will be in until registration (which is the Monday before school actually starts)...ANYONE correct me if I am wrong though (and hopefully I am) - thats just what I gathered from the orientation material that was sent.

Sarah,  another quesiton - do 1 - L's have an easy or difficult time trying to find summer work...in other words, what do 1-Ls do during the summer?

Robert

« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2004, 08:59:11 AM »
well I finally made it to pitt, long distance moves suck just for the record. I also had my first chance to see the campus. Although Duquesne looks nice and the renovations at the law school will make the classrooms top notch, I must admit I was very surprised by the surrounding area and how run down the buildings were. It almost seems as if DU is surrounded by a ghetto.

« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2004, 09:16:40 AM »
DU is surrounded by a ghetto!!!!!!!

joshdelight

• AOL Instant Messenger - nipchee
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2004, 11:58:55 AM »
Yes, DU is surrounded by ghetto! That is how this city is tiered: a few blocks of ghetto, then a few square blocks of nicer areas, then ghetto, etc.

For our purposes, I'll take it as a blessing.  We'll have less distractions near our campus.  Downtown is dead after 6 PM because there aren't any people living in the downtown area (well, there are a few, but not enough to make downtown have a viable nightlife), and therefore the nearest 'fun' zones are safely out of reach in the Southside and Oakland. ;)

The Hill District (what was the residential zone of Downtown) used to be a vibrant black community supported by a relatively viable local econonmy.  It was a community that is today best remembered for being the epicenter of the Pittsburgh jazz scene, whose long-gone clubs headlined all of the jazz legends at one time or another. 

The commercial district of the Hill was replaced by the giant silver UFO that is best known as the Mellon Arena.  The Arena is best known for being one of the first domed arenas with a retractable roof (that can't retract any more because of massive lighting rigs that block the mechanism).

Welcome to Pittsburgh!  ;D
Wouldn't it be grand if our Department of Defense was not offensive?

philapitt

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2004, 12:55:37 PM »
I agree as well that the mexican war streets area is nice. I am coming from Philadelphia and found a great place on Buena Vista. The area reminds me of historic areas in Philadelphia. I'm quite surprised actually that many natives of P'burgh still frown upon this area.

I saw the campus at Duq and was very impressed actually. I like the views of the city from the campus. I think in general though I'm more of a fan of urban spaces, even though I grew up in a small town in New England. 

Anyway...if anyone else is living in the northside it'd be interesting to hear from you.