Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: going to Duquesne  (Read 39666 times)

CPA-1

Re: going to Duquesne
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2004, 08:02:48 PM »
Robert,
     I should have mentioned that I returned to the firm that I worked for prior to attending law school.

joshdelight

• AOL Instant Messenger - nipchee
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2004, 09:25:21 AM »
Pittsburgh is also a city where there are 3-4 degrees of separation between everyone.  After you have been here a while, it is virtually impossible not to have several kick-ass connections. 

Ah... and some phone/computer advice.  If any of you were planning to get cable (even old-school basic cable), Comcast is offering a deal where you can get high-speed internet with your cable for only 19.99/mo for 6 months.  On top of that, instead of using Verizon for your land-line (if you were planning on getting one), you can get a digital phone line through either VoicePulse, Vonage, or Packet8 for as little as 14.99/mo with Caller ID, Call waiting, the works...

I have been telling everyone, because the deal is so unbelievably kind to my wallet. $12 for basic cable, 19,99 for high speed internet, and 14.99 for full featured phone service.  You can even get a wireless router and share your internet connection with a neighbor (who would chip in for the cost of the internet connection.

So where did you all wind up getting apartments?  Is was David who snagged a place in the South Side, right? 

I would like to propose a BBQ/social for those of us who will be in town a week or two before classes start, at my place.  Anyone interested?
Wouldn't it be grand if our Department of Defense was not offensive?

Robert

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2004, 12:03:50 PM »
In the middle of a meeting but I just got the packet from the school.

Robert

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2004, 12:15:44 PM »
meeting is thankfully over...

well registration info is interesting. It appears as if Duq does not offer classes before 10, and most classes are over before 4. At least thats how I am reading the time table thats included. (Makes a nice change from my 8's in college) I am right, aren;t I, or am I just a complete idiot?

Does anyone else find it wierd that we don't finish exams until Dec 23?

I'm up for a BBQ, it would be nice to put a face to these posts. Just let me know what to bring.

joshdelight

• AOL Instant Messenger - nipchee
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2004, 09:01:23 PM »
Ha! Funny that I talk about a BBQ in the face of CPA-1 advice not to worry about the 'social scene.'  Good thing I am getting this out of the way before school starts!  I'll figure out the date and logistics as we get closer to the date.  To start, it'd be great to nail down when everyone will be getting into town.  My 'spam' address (that I give out on forums) is joshdelight@hotmail.com.  If you email me with the subject line "BBQ - Arrival Date" with your name, some form of contact information, and the date that you'll be arriving in Pittsburgh, I'll work out a date that works best for all.  Also, let me know if you have any dietary restrictions (e.g. kosher, veggie/vegan, etc.) and I will act accordingly.  If you have a beverage choice, let me know that as well ;).

I can't wait to finish work to run and check my mail.  Funny how things change: as kids we'd run to check for the proverbial 'decoder ring;' as adults we're eagerly anticipating the arrival of  running to check for school schedules.  I second the relief that it appears we do not have any classes before 10 AM.  We'll need the rest (or the extra work time), to be sure.
Wouldn't it be grand if our Department of Defense was not offensive?

enjoydavid

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2004, 10:56:06 AM »
Just back from Pittsburgh...found my apartment.  Seems like a good city...:) I flew in on Monday and flew out last night.   

CPA-1, I am also a CPA...what are you doing for the summer with your accounting firm?  Is is tax consulting??? 

enjoydavid

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2004, 11:36:13 AM »
Rob,

Oh yeah..you have to report your interest on your savings account.  I wouldnt worry about it too much.

So I found my apartment on the South Side 16th Street, Im happy 20 min walk to school! 

CPA-1

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2004, 01:33:08 PM »
Enjoydavid,
     I work on a myriad of projects than range from finishing individual returns that were extended to preparing an extremely large consolidated return for an international company.  Therefore, mainly I'm relegated to compliance work, but I can't complain because it's a great job to have after the first year.  If you have any questions, I'd be happy to attempt to answer them to the best of my abilities.
 ;D

enjoydavid

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2004, 03:52:48 PM »
CPA-1,

Whats the Pittsburgh market place like for people with our skill sets? 

Will it be relatively easy for us to find work for our 2-L year or after graduation? 

What are some good professional organizations in Pittsburgh?

I am coming from NYC, I am thinking of remaining in Pittsburgh after graduation, but who knows what opportunities will exist then?

CPA-1

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2004, 04:13:31 PM »
Enjoydavid,
     As for the Pittsburgh marketplace, it is very competitive.  As you can imagine, with two good law schools in a small city, there are a large number of attorneys.  As for to-be JD-CPA's, I think that the CPA background gives CPA's an advantage in seeking work with the Big 4.  As for law firms, I;ve found that it depends on what type of law the firm specializes in.  As for "ease of work" after 2L and beyond, it depends.  Right now, the marketplace in Pittsburgh isn't too strong.  However, if you do well in school, you will find a job.  As for professional organizations, there are several good organizations in town.  Unfortunately, I was unable to continue attending their functions due to the tremendous workload that the first year of law school imposes.  I hope that this helps (if not, I apologize and feel free to ask any other questions that may come to mind!!!)  By the way, have you received your first year section assignments with your list of classes and professors?