Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: going to Duquesne  (Read 39842 times)

laurel131

• View Profile
Re: going to Duquesne
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2004, 02:32:17 PM »
Thats really interesting about Pitt....and is encouraging for Duquesne......

I'm not very familiar with UPitt. Besides accepting higher LSAT scores/ GPA, etc.... what does Pitt have curriculum-wise that Duquesne does not?

Has anyone received their orientation/class info from Duquesne yet? Just checking...    I'm curious as to what section/ which classes I'm taking this fall.

CPA-1

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2004, 03:44:00 PM »
Hello everyone,
     I have just completed my first year of studies at Duquesne and would be thrilled to answer any questions that you may have.  I wish all of you the best in your legal studies this upcoming academic year!

laurel131

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2004, 04:12:57 PM »
Hello, CPA-1,

I've got a ton of questions, but I guess I'll just start out with a very broad one...what is law school like at Duquesne? The professors? how much time should be spent studying for each class? and any advice?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Robert

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2004, 04:35:51 PM »
CPA-1

I've got a few questions for you, sorry if they overwelm you...

How does Duquesne compare to pitt for jobs and summer associates in the Pittsburgh area? What are the job prospects coming out of Duquesne?

Is it really that hard to find parking on campus even with a pass?

Do you have any professor recomendations or suggestions about the first year?

How hard are the classes, grading system. Do you work your ass off or do you have some kind of life outside of school?

Any help and info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

CPA-1

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2004, 06:01:15 PM »
Hello Robert,
     I will answer your list of questions in the order presented:

1)Pitt v. Duquesne: as you already know, Pitt is ranked higher than Duquesne (Pitt is 2nd tier and Duquesne is 3rd Tier).  However, it comes down to how well you do in your classes.  If you do well in school, then you will (most likely) find a good job.

2) Parking: parking is not an issue.  I have a lease in a garage on campus.  There are two garages (Locust and Forbes).  Information on the parking options are available at the parking office on campus.  There is also an option for surface level parking, but I'm not too familiar with the difficulty of finding surface level parking.

3) Prof reccomendations: As a first year at Duquesne, you will be assigned to a section.  Your section will have the sames classes- Torts, Property, Contracts, Legal Process (Fall), Civil Procedure (Spring), Criminal Law, and Legal Research and Writing.  Legal Research and Writing and Criminal Law classes are further broken down.  Your section assignment means that you have no choice in professors or the classes that you take. 

4) Class difficulty/grading system: This is a difficult question.  The difficulty of classes differ depending upon the student.  The classes are difficult, but it is manageable.  The grading system is somewhat harsh: A+=04.0, A=3.75, A-=3.50, B+=3.25, B=3.0, C+=2.75, and so on.  There is a policy that in order to be re-admitted your for your second year a student must carry at least a B average.  As far as the workload, I have found that it all comes down to efficiency.  For the first couple of weeks/months, you will not be very efficient.  However, as the year progresses you will better know what is needed to successfully complete the work.  I do work my "butt" off, and my grades have reflected my hard work!!!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!!!

CPA-1

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2004, 06:08:43 PM »
Hello, laurel131,

1) what is law school like at Duquesne: could you please be more specific?

2) professors: The professors are pretty diverse.  Some of the profs are very approachable and quite willing to help students.  Other profs stick to the Socratic routine at all times and are not as helpful.  I have found that there are some professors that are a joy to have and there are some professors who make life a living hell.  It all depends on who you get for your first year classes.

3) Time spent studying for each class- this is a difficult question to answer, but I'd say an average of 3 hrs/class is a fair estimate.  (Sometimes much more and sometimes less.)

4) any advice: HIT THE GROUND RUNNING.  Don't fall behind in your studies.  Don't be concerned with hitting the social scene.  From what I have found, the first year is very stressful and you will be extremely busy.  I'm not saying that you won't have some free time, but your free time will be extremely limited.  All in all, I'd reccomend that you study hard and keep your head up!!! 

-If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!!!

Robert

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2004, 06:12:53 PM »
CPA-1

Thanks for the quick response and the helpful info. You would not happen to have any idea how many firms come to Duquesne recruiting?

CPA-1

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2004, 07:28:13 PM »
Robert,
     I am not certain of the number of firms that recruit on campus.  However, I can tell you that as a first year student it is mostly up to you to find work after your first year.  A vast majority of firms only recruit students with at least one year of law school completed.

Robert

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2004, 07:33:30 PM »
thanks, have you had any luck finding a job?

CPA-1

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2004, 07:55:41 PM »
Robert,
     I am currently employed.  However, my employment is primarily linked to my prior work experience as a Certified Public Accountant.  I work for an international accounting firm.