Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: going to Duquesne  (Read 39323 times)

joshdelight

• AOL Instant Messenger - nipchee
    • View Profile
Re: going to Duquesne
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2004, 12:08:44 PM »
David,

Since you are a CPA and will do taxes for food (lol), does this also mean that you are a good person to talk to about 'money matters'?  There are a few things that I have been dying to learn more about (damn it, Jim, I'm a B.A., not a mathematician!).  I really have no idea what CPA's do other than help businesses and individuals keep their ledgers in order.  CPA's make me think of a tall, long-faced, diginifiedly bald man with spectacles perched at the tip of his nose, sitting in front of a high table on a tall stool, with his hands stained with ink from pouring over gigantic ledger books all day. 

Right.

What majors did you all have in undergrad?
Wouldn't it be grand if our Department of Defense was not offensive?

joshdelight

• AOL Instant Messenger - nipchee
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2004, 12:15:33 PM »
David,

Funny you should ask: the best Jewish deli in Pittsburgh isn't kosher.  Go figure.  Kazantski's Deli, on the left side of Murray Avenue.  Coming down Forbes Ave from Oakland, make a right onto Murray Ave, and then go down the hill about halfway. You'll see the deli on the left, on the corner of Murray and one of the smaller side streets that intersects Murray.

They have a mean pastrami, and it's GREAT with a schmear.  Oh, it is also a great place to get microbrew (and some import) beer at a relatively cheap price.  Try Dogfish Head "Raison de Etre."
Wouldn't it be grand if our Department of Defense was not offensive?

enjoydavid

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2004, 01:17:18 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion...its funny my favorite deli in NYC...my shul...Katz's is not Kosher either.   Its nice I wont miss a religious experience in Pittsburgh.. :P

laurel131

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2004, 01:30:36 PM »
Joshdelight - I found one near the southside section (i think thats the area...I've not gotten quite use to the area names yet)...and I am pretty sure that's the one that I am going to go with. But I also saw an apartment on the northern side of Pittsburgh (actually, it might not be IN Pittsburgh, I'm not sure) that I liked.

On the financial aid question.... I have finished that whole process...stafford loans and all.

David - you might have some people taking you up on the 'taxes for food' offer, just remember who your  friends at Duquesne are (us!)

Also, about the banks.... yesterday I signed up with PNC bank online...and am very happy to hear the good remarks you gave them today. I think that they have a satellite office on Duquesne's campus (in the main student union) as well.

enjoydavid

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2004, 02:02:38 PM »
Laurel,

I've been told the Southside is a great place to live.  You can also walk to the school, which is nice...just accross the 10th Street Bridge. 

Im not sure about the northside, I would speak to Josh. 

enjoydavid

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2004, 02:23:40 PM »
"Since you are a CPA and will do taxes for food (lol), does this also mean that you are a good person to talk to about 'money matters'?  There are a few things that I have been dying to learn more about (d**mn it, Jim, I'm a B.A., not a mathematician!).  I really have no idea what CPA's do other than help businesses and individuals keep their ledgers in order.  CPA's make me think of a tall, long-faced, diginifiedly bald man with spectacles perched at the tip of his nose, sitting in front of a high table on a tall stool, with his hands stained with ink from pouring over gigantic ledger books all day. 

Right."

Not exactly - I have hair and dont wear glasses..:) My hands arent stained with ink either..currently mustard from my sandwich...but I assure you I will be in the mens room washing my hands.

Currently my client is a multi-billion dollar hedge fund and I am helping them manage their legal entities.  I do a lot of consulting work on bankruptcy, alternative investment vehicles, cash management, transaction structuring (M&A, derivatives, and joint ventures), financial risk managmeent, and IPO's.  I also do audits of public companies and alternative investments, this involves reviewing business transactions as well as financial statements (that pouring over ledger stuff..my clients do that though..I just review it)  in order to attest that the numbers are actual.  I also do tax work for my corporate clients.  Again I dont pour over ledgers..my clients do that for me..:)  My clients range from Multibillion dollar hedge funds, to global broker/dealers, to retail, manufactuing, and of course one my clients was Penthouse Magazine (this was the client that spurred my law school ambition, the had all sorts of problems, bankruptcy, litigation, and tax issues). I have a number of odd Penthouse stories...it is not sexual stories (I would only be so lucky) just funny business stories.   

That is the short answer or my interview answer!   :P

"What majors did you all have in undergrad?"

I doubled in accounting and finance from Indiana University.

Better question..anyone doing anything cool before coming to school?

Robert

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2004, 02:39:24 PM »
nothing interesting I was a double journalism and poli sci major at Northeastern University.

I've decided before I go to school to have a few fun months, no work or other mundane chores. I am moving into my apartment in Mars, (about 25 or so minutes north of the city) June 30. I needed to get out of a city and enjoy a quite life for a few years. After living in downtown boston and london for the last 10 years of my life I feel like a commute and a day without an emergency vehicle waking me up will be a nice change. I will hang around there until july 16 when I will head up to toronto for a few days and allow my new visa to take effect. After that I am planning on going to vegas for a long weekend in Aug and see if I can't blow some of my tuition.

laurel131

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2004, 05:24:05 PM »
That sounds like a good plan, Robert. I'm just spending some time on the beach... I thought I'd read a few books on law school, etc. I've read that people either agree with the books or not at all. So, don't get any ideas..I'm not planning out my life around them. But I would like to know your opinions on what/whether to read, etc. I just thought that I'd check them out. (i've been reading other parts of the board that trash the books)

Oh, and I am teaching my little nephew to swim.

Robert

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2004, 05:29:24 PM »
your attempts to teach your nephew to swim is far more nobel than my attempts to get lost in vegas.

Anyway a book that people seem to like and is even on harvards summer reading list is:

"getting to maybe: How to excell on law school exams."

I'm currently reading the "death of contracts" which is also on the list but it does not seem to be all that useful. A good way to go is to google harvards summer reading list, it should come up.

enjoydavid

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2004, 10:39:58 AM »
Rob and Laurel,

You guys seem to be doing great stuff..  I am unfortunatley stuck working for another month! 

When are you guys moving to Pittsburgh..I was thinking 2 weeks for classes begin.  So I can enjoy Pittsburgh a little bit before we start with the study grind.