Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: going to Duquesne  (Read 37502 times)

laurel131

• View Profile
Re: going to Duquesne
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2004, 01:23:53 PM »
I was thinking about moving to Pittsburgh early August - just to get settled in, explore some of the city and Pennsylvania for that matter.

I've got the Planet Law School II book, and I agree with what it says - but, it is mostly the self-evident type of suggestions. Such as: learning to brief, dedicating time to reading, studying. It seems to repeat this over, and over, and over. I've got a few other books, yet they all follow the same format. A few good, solid suggestions hidden in 200 pgs of the obvious. The good thing is, I feel like I have thought about law school to the point that I feel okay with it...I'm prepared to make a total ass of myself when called on...possibly saying the dumbest thing that might come to my mind, then get over it and go on with my day. That's life. I know that other people will laugh at me (and I will be laughing at myself as well), but inside - they are judging themselves too. However, I hope that Duquesne, being a smaller size, will not be filled with such a high degree of competition.

Robert

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2004, 01:38:41 PM »
There is one thing I don't get about law school. I am sure we have all heard the stories of people not knowing an answer and then the class making fun of them. Why do they do it, are we going back to grade school. There were tons of idiots in college who made ignorant remarks and yet the class never erupted into laughter, why is it seen as acceptable in law school?

I don't care how off the mark someone's answer is I won't laugh at them, what do I gain by degrading them? I hope Duquesne students are more mature than some of the students at these horror story schools.

Oh hey guess what, I've never even been to pitt and yet I'll be living there for the next 3 years and have already found a place to live. To be honest though I did it when I went to college and I was moving across an ocean so I'm not really all that concerned. Its also why I am moving to the area a little bit early, give me sometime to get my life together.

laurel131

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2004, 04:19:39 PM »
That's awesome Robert. I wish I had that kind of luck with moving. I chose a place to live in undergraduate without visitng - and, well...the nicest thing I can say about the place is that it had a roof. But it was my own fault. Do you ever think about going back to England some day to practice law?

But about law school - and the high school type of childish attitudes...I couldn't agree more with what you said. In the college I attended, we also all said dumb things, but no one ever made a comment. Go figure that it happens in law school...

Also, what type of law is everybody / anybody interested in?
- For me, I'm not sure yet. Though I've thought about environmental or health care law.

enjoydavid

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2004, 04:41:03 PM »

I am going to moving probably on Aug 7th. When that date comes closer we will have to exchange information so we can check the city out. 

Im not too worried about making an ass out of myself and getting laughed at...Im sure it will happen to all of us.  Im sure we will console each other and our bruised egos!  It seems we will have a good group to help each other out.  I see the formation of a good study group to go over hypos and review notes..:)  As long as Rob can bring Marmite for our toast in the morning....:)

I read Planet Law School II...it all seems like good suggestions.   

Robert

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2004, 05:18:11 PM »
Marmite, god I can't stand the stuff. I'm afraid you'll have to bring that evil stuff yourself.

As far as England is concerned, no not really. Too be honest I really dislike England, esp London. Too big, too many people and too expensive. For the most part thats how I feel about all of Europe. A great place to visit but not a place I want to live in any more. But never say never right? I'd much rather stay in the states, the life style has grown on me. Thats one of the things I like about the idea of living in Pitt. Decent salaries and cheap housing. However, if I ever get tired of the states I might try my luck down under in Australia.

I'm thinking about corporate law or even tax law considering the clinics Duq offers in tax law. But to be honest I feel I would enjoy and benefit more from International Law (surprise eh?)  However if I were being really dreaming I'd say sports law but those jobs are few and far between. Heres to dreaming...

enjoydavid

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2004, 05:41:50 PM »
Rob...You and I are one in the same. 

You echoed my reasons for leaving New York. 

I as well am planning on Tax Law  (CPA..kinda gives it away),  Bankruptcy/Restructuring, and/or Corporate.  Im basically building on what I already do..

Robert

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2004, 10:39:15 AM »
David

A question that a CPA can hopefully answer and I can't as I have never had a savings account (bank account) in the US.

If I deposit X amount into savings account Y I will earn Z in interest.

It has always been my understanding that any interest earned is adjusted for tax by the bank automatically and that interest does not need to be delared to the IRS during tax season. However, I am being told by some people that I will need to delare any interest earned to the IRS, can you shed any light on this.

Appreciate the help

josh

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2004, 01:27:38 PM »
This summer, I am taking it easy and carefully arranging my life as to make law school as painless as possible.  I think the biggest change will be to FINALLY have an office that is not also my bedroom! (Thank g-d for two-bedroom apartments and a life-partner for a flatmate)

I am interested in international law, constitutional law, and human and civil rights law.  I'm a bleeding heart liberal!  Well, more precisely, over the years I have developed a desire to work "hands on" in the community.  The Community and Econonmic Development Clinic caught my interest, because Pittsburgh is a city with great needs.  The non-profit groups out here have a huge impact on the quality of life for many people, and I'd love to have an opportunity to provide quality counsel to these groups.  (Not to mention that I'd gain experience incorporating 501(c)(3), etc)

Plus, the ACLU is very active in Pittsburgh.  The city constantly enacts unconstitutional laws, and, for a time, the police force was taking actions that were illegal.  For the past two years, the city has been one of the biggest involuntary donors to the ACLU (paying its legal fees for the cases that the city loses) in the entire country. I can't wait to get in on the action!

Do any of you happen to be ACLU members?

Robert

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2004, 08:01:08 PM »
no sorry not an aclu member but if I were American and could vote I sure as hell would be doing anything to make sure Bush won't be back for one more term. From what I can figure PA is a more conservative state tham MA. Should be an interesting change.

I know how you feel about having your office in your bedroom, its amazing what less rent will get you in Pitt than Boston. I'm paying almost half my Boston rent in Pitt and getting over 3X the space. One interesting side note, apparently its bad zen to combine your sleeping area with your work area.

Robert

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2004, 08:55:11 AM »
Interesting bit of info. It seems as if UPitt has overenrolled this years incoming 1L class and has even resorted to sending out emails to the students asking them to defer for one year.

I must admit I had orginally hoped to get into Pitt but knowing that the first year classes will be larger than usual (compared to duquesne they will be huge) makes me rather happy knowing I'll be at Duquesne. If only we could get Duquesene to be ranked as a tier 2 life would be great.