Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Attending in the Fall  (Read 9760 times)

puzzle245

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Attending in the Fall
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 01:55:53 AM »
The housing thing doesn't really affect me as I grew up in the area and will probably live at home for first year...

But, for people coming from other areas... Housing depends a lot on a few quesitons:

1.  Do you have a car?
2.  How far are you willing to drive each morning?
3.  How concerned are you with price?

Some things to keep in mind... 

You may want to live close because you don't have a car... My only advice to that is GET A CAR!  Seriously. You need one.  Cleveland is a driver's city and public transportation is almost non-existant. 

Apartments near the school (Cleveland Hts, University Hts, Shaker...) are reasonable but if you drive a little further out it can get a LOT cheaper.  I have friends living in Parma and Rocky River for $400-$500 instead of the $800 to be near school.  Plus if you get a $400 one-bedroom you have your own place for the same money!

If you don't mind a drive (twenty minutes to a half hour) Lakewood is probably the best Cleveland suburb for rental properties.  Nearly the entire city rents rather than owns thier homes and there are many more apartment buildings than in most of the Cleveland area. 

If you can get a few people together it may be worth renting a house.  It can actually work out to be cheaper.

I don't know if any of this is helpful...  I've lived in Cleveland my entire life (except for undergrad) and figured as I'm familiar with the city I'd offer my opinion.  So if anyone has any questions related to the location, Cleveland, stuff to do... just let me know!

mash1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 09:38:21 PM »
Hey Puzzle,
I am looking for maybe a nice, clean studio apartment to live in for the year. I do have a car, so living within driving distance versus walking is fine. I wanted to know where you thought the best apartments for a reasonable price. I don't mind driving 20 minutes or so. Thanks! :D

clevername

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2005, 12:11:59 AM »
I am also bound for Case.  I took my first trip to Ohio last week, and I really liked Cleveland.  Somehow I'd worked myself up to expect a treeless, frigid, flat city choked in a haze of coal.  Not so!  It was downright pleasant!
"Nothing succeedes like excess"--Oscar Wilde

2.5/153

blue-green algae

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2005, 12:27:43 AM »
I just found out I got accepted today.  Yay!!!!   ;D  I still haven't decided on Case for certain, but it very possibly is where I will end up for the fall.

As far as housing goes for my first year, I'm currently debating between getting a studio and finding a roommate for a two bedroom apartment.  Each option has its pros and cons.  I'm thinking I'd like to live close to school.  I'm not really one for spending much time in my car commuting everyday.

nosaj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 01:43:11 AM »
hey folks, i'm also a cleve native, well cleveland heights.  Cleveland heights is nearest to the school that is not in the city of cleveland some areas of the cleve. hts. are walkable, others aren't.  However, if you visit www.clevelandheights.com/relocation.asp, the city can help you find a place. 

about extracurriculars, once you get here you'll be able to best judge how much is too much.  The first semester is stressful so something that is not related to torts, contracts, crim or core helps, obviously too much hurts.  everyone has their own balance. 

blue-green algae

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2005, 01:34:29 AM »
Given that at this moment it looks like I'll be attending Case in the fall, I am very stoked about moving to Cleveland and starting school at Case.  I feel a little frazzled though when I think about paying for school and tending to debt after graduation.  While Case presents the most opportunities of any of the schools to which I was accepted, it also comes at the highest cost.  I don't have a scholarship and will be paying for almost my entire first year by borrowing federal and private loans.  Not making much money at my current job, I don't have much money saved up.  I have to admit I'm surprised more folks don't bring up and discuss the cost of law school.  Is anyone else, especially someone in a similar situation to myself, a little nervous about the financing a legal education?

maimee62

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2005, 09:23:39 AM »
Going to Case in the fall... and glad to have finally made a decision! 

Weird story though:  Deposits came due in early April, and I still hadn't heard about money, so I sent my deposit to another school.  Then last week one of the admissions guys called and said there was a mistake in my file and I actually have a significant scholarship!  This was my top choice, so I'm thrilled.

At the same time, should I worry that this is indicative of how the administration operates?

Despite all that, I look forward to seeing you in the fall!

do you mind sharing your #'s............. i was also accepted at case and received a scholarship but was surprised at the low amount. they've since increased it a bit but total cost is still so high. the school is awesome though, and you're very fortunate to be able to save $ by commuting! (i was born in middleburg hts but left the area in 1989).

puzzle245

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2005, 10:51:19 AM »
Sorry I didn't respond in a more timely fashion.  Finals and moving home brought my internet access to a halt for a while...

My #'s: 3.48/168