Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JD reputation for LLM admissions  (Read 11564 times)

ttiwed

JD reputation for LLM admissions
« on: April 02, 2004, 08:42:18 PM »

te loren

Re: JD reputation for LLM admissions
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 07:04:34 PM »
I believe the Ivy League and the other leading law schools (Stanford, NYU, Berkeley) consider other things, mainly your experience, your acquired expertise if any, your career path for the immediate future (Yale, Harvard and Columbia have a bias for teaching and government service). If you top your JD class, they will surely look at your application. If you are the editor of the law journal, you'll have a good chance of getting in. Volunteer work for public interest law also helps. Once you get in, you can always study other subjects (especially at Columbia, which, I believe is most liberal among the best of the best, when it comes to courses and seminars). Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Chicago and NYU are all very strict about the courses of their LLM students. Finally, yes, your standing in your pre-law matters in the LLM admissions. But you can set off whatever you lacked their by doing excellently in the JD.

fasapes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 11:07:49 PM »
llm program doesn't attach much importance to the lsat score. gpa and work experience are more important.

gwlaw09

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 02:20:30 PM »
I went to a fourth-tiered law school for my JD, but just got accepted into George Washington Law, a first-tiered law school, for my LLM.  However, I was in the top 10%, on the Executive Board in Law Review, and was published. 

I think your accomplishements and grades matter more than what JD program you go to.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 12:25:09 PM »
Depends on the LLM program.  Some programs even from the the top schools are easy to get into because so few people apply.  Others are quite a bit harder.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School