Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lawyer in practice taking LSAT today..  (Read 1656 times)

antiparasite

• View Profile
Lawyer in practice taking LSAT today..
« on: March 26, 2004, 09:10:03 PM »

A friend of mine in private law practice as real estate lawyer told me today that if he were to take LSAT today, I (with 160-165 on practice tests) would probably score better than him!!

I know the LSAT is a standarized test that is hard to crack without knowing the system, but it seems quite concetual to me?!?
           I mean, isn't the entire thing with LSAT really about verbal and reading comprehension and reasoning with literature?

I am due to take it in a few weeks, but found this comment a bit strange. I was trying to call him as joking, but he seemed to be serious about it.

Does anyone know how much of the material on the LSAT that can actually reflect real knowledge of a "trench" lawyer??

-J-   

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Lawyer in practice taking LSAT today..
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 06:37:11 PM »
Here is what I have been told by every practicing attorney I have talked to.  The logical reasoning and Reading Comprehension sections of the test are an adequate measure of the skills an attorney will use.

Logic Games are not.  As logic games count for 23 questions, a person who make an outstanding attorney could score perfectly on the RC and LR sections and still come out with a merely 'okay' score.

But with so many people who want to go to law school, there has to be SOME way to create a normal distribution of candidates...  With LR and RC, we can have MANY people with perfect scores... and that just wont do.

Logic Games havent always been around... some people are better at them naturally, some people have been taught to think that way, and some people enjoy the 'brain teaser' more than others.

Example, if my LR and RC scores were extended to replace the Logic Games score., I would have around a 172 instead of a 162. 

If you havent taken the test yet, I suggest you put the vast bulk of your time there, because there is where scores are made or broken.

I didnt, in fact, I barely even spent any time on logic games, and now Im likely going to a t2.

Wish I had known then.....

blag

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 06:13:41 PM »
just curious anti-parasite, on other threads you stated you were sure you would get into a top Ivy League law school. You seemed quite sure of your chances. Yet you score only in the 160-165 range??!!

What is the cause of your unusual confidence?

antiparasite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 09:25:54 PM »
just curious anti-parasite, on other threads you stated you were sure you would get into a top Ivy League law school. You seemed quite sure of your chances. Yet you score only in the 160-165 range??!!

What is the cause of your unusual confidence?

Well, first of all an ivy league is an lvy league. There are no "top" ivy leagues more than others. I might not even choose to go there, but I DO feel confident about it for the following reasons:

**I have yet to put down much time in preparing for the LSAT, besides going through a review bok and a few mocks.

**I have very good test-preparation support from my brother-in-law, that is currently teaching constitutional law. Obvisouly there are also some connection potential here, once the LSAT results are delivered.

**I know a Kaplan will help me boost my test-taking skills, since I have not been sitting or a major standardized test in a long time. Even in the higher tiers, I expect a 5-10 point boost from a Kaplan alone.

**Finally, my Undergraduate GPA is very good and better than average admissions GPA in most schools I am interested in.

**I have worked for a lawfirm and financial legal firm and have great references.

Hmmm, this was a bit more "self-bragging" than my ego can handle ;)

-J-

1L2004

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 10:02:23 PM »
QUOTE -" first of all an ivy league is an lvy league. There are no "top" ivy leagues more than others. I might not even choose to go there,..."

Sorry, but "Ivy League" and "Top Ivy League" are two different things...there's Cornell and UPenn and then there's Columbia, Harvard, Yale.  Just from going through the recruitment process...let's just say it's a whole different world.

blag

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 11:16:01 PM »
Antiparasite, you are clearly a genius of the highest order. I could sit and listen to you talk about yourself all day long. Please - indulge us further. You're a brilliant doctor too right? Please go on. Your audience awaits.

antiparasite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 11:23:32 PM »
QUOTE -" first of all an ivy league is an lvy league. There are no "top" ivy leagues more than others. I might not even choose to go there,..."

Sorry, but "Ivy League" and "Top Ivy League" are two different things...there's Cornell and UPenn and then there's Columbia, Harvard, Yale.  Just from going through the recruitment process...let's just say it's a whole different world.

While I can certainly agree that the Ivys are different to SOME extent, I disagree in that they are so different as to warrant someone to deserve "top Ivy" to the others. They are clearly all great schools and not significanlty much better than each other..

(despite different admissions standards)

-J-

blag

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 11:40:07 PM »
And every single one of them can't wait to accept your application antiparasite. Don't keep stringing them on! They long for your application, as we all long for your brilliant insight.

Oh, to be you antiparasite!!!

antiparasite

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 08:23:34 PM »
And every single one of them can't wait to accept your application antiparasite. Don't keep stringing them on! They long for your application, as we all long for your brilliant insight.

Oh, to be you antiparasite!!!

I wish every lawyer I knew would have as feeble irony as you. Maybe I would have stayed in my old profession longer.

-J-

dta

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 10:29:02 PM »
good luck on the TOEFL!!!