Law School Discussion

Debt and Character and Fitness

Debt and Character and Fitness
« on: March 24, 2004, 06:09:26 PM »

I have horrible credit.  High balances, missed credit card payments, etc.

I'm worried that I won't be able to sit for the bar because of my bad credit.

Any suggestions?

Re: Debt and Character and Fitness
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 09:36:07 AM »
I doubt that will prevent you from siting for the exam. You may have to answer a few extra questions. I have a friend who had a business failure. After he sent in his student bar apllication, he had to answer a few interogatories about a judgement lien, then he filed bankruptcy later and had to answer more interogatories.  He hasn't gotten any reply yet, but I doubt that will prevent him from sitting for the bar.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 07:58:30 PM »
I just realized that a LONG time ago like 15 years ago, back when I was young and dumb, I bounced checks... (no charges filed0... and had a car wreck without insurance... there was a civil judgement against me... which I couldnt pay, so I didnt, never went to enforcement, I served out a 3 year license suspension, and got my license back and never heard from the plaintiffs or the court again.

could something like this conceivably screw up my chances of passing the character investigation?

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 01:17:03 AM »
I don't think the checks will matter.  Everyone has bounced at least one check right?

But the judgment may be a problem.  I'd talk to the bar admission board of your state.

Whatever you do...don't try to hide it.  Just explain why you couldn't pay.

Don't worry too much.  There is no such thing as automatic disqualification. (Unless you do something horrible like murder.)