Law School Discussion

Emory or UGA???

AD

Emory or UGA???
« on: March 22, 2004, 07:39:46 AM »
I have been accepted by both Emory and UGA. Emory is a private school, ranked #25. UGA is a state school ranked #31. Both appear to be fairly comparable with respect to resources, teaching, and employment. Emory may have a slight edge with its better name and higher average salary.

The thing is, Emory is $32000 a year and UGA is only $8000 a year. Being a independent student, money is an issue. I have retirement savings, so I most likely won't get a free ride.

If I go to UGA, I will have to sell/rent my condo and move to Athens. If I go to Emory, I can stay in my condo.

How do I choose? Any thoughts? Does Emory's name really matter long-term?

Re: Emory or UGA???
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 08:16:02 AM »
I guess it would be a matter of preference.  I believe Emory has a 1% advantage with taking the bar than UGA.  I used to live in Atlanta for several years.  It seems to boil down to how much debt you may want to obtain during law school.  Both are top tier schools.  Personally, I would go to UGA.  I would rather live in Athens than to live near Emory.  My personal preference.

Christie

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 08:58:01 AM »
UGA is a great value.  If money is your issue, UGA will be the better long term choice.

www.lawschoolafterdark.com

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 11:18:08 AM »
i know a couple of folks in atlanta who went to emory law, and both seem relatively satisfied with the education but frustrated with the debt.  i have applied to uga and gsu but not emory.

met some 3-l's here in athens this past year and they all seem pleased with their time here, don't have the debt load, and all had great job offers in hand.

of course, if you know what type of law you want to practice that might alter the decision....

justinj

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 02:56:14 PM »
Congrats on being accepted at two great schools.

I don't know alot about the differences between the two but I would think its basicially the difference between all public and private schools.  With private schools you get nicer facilities, smaller class rooms, and more blue bloods.

If I had the chance I would go to Emory, you will make plenty of $$ either way.   

CC

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 03:22:51 PM »
I went to a private school over a public school when there was little difference between the two.  Had I known then what I know now, I would have chosen the public school.  The debt is a tremendous burden to bear.