Law School Discussion

Needing LSAT tutor in Phoenix

Needing LSAT tutor in Phoenix
« on: March 21, 2004, 07:26:20 PM »
hi all!

does anybody know how i could locate a tutor in the Phoenix area to help me study for the June test? i think my numbers are okay at the moment (averaging a 152), but i'm really shooting for the 160s and i'd like to get there by may.

so if anybody knows any kind of routes i can take, i'd GREATLY appreciate the advice or help! thanks! ;D

aj

Re: Needing LSAT tutor in Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 09:54:15 PM »

Have you considered taking a Kaplan prep course?

I personally see no excuse for not taking one as LSAT is just another standardized test.

I am in the midst of going for a Kaplan NOW and my scores are already reaching 160's in two recent tests!!!

Good luck and check out Kaplan,..
 You can't go wrong here..

-J-

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 11:26:00 PM »
hi anti,

well, if i had the monetary resources to do something like that, i more than likely would. but considering i help support my mom, it's kinda not happenin'. lol

but thanks for the advice though! i sincerely appreciate it! ;D

aj :)

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 09:44:14 AM »

Hi again.
 I hope you could look into this.
 Why don't you contact Kaplan and inquire about payment options or something. If you wnet in person to their office, told them your situation and so, you might see some positive responses.

I know it costs, alot, but I also know how valuable a Kaplan is.

At least see what you can get done and really consider it.
      It could easily boost you up from a 150 to a 160..

-J-

blag

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 01:37:55 PM »
Although I am beginning a Princeton Review course in a week, I have been studying on my own for the last 6 weeks. I have improved my score from a 151 on my first test to a 165 on my most recent test. My method has been fairly simple and cheap:

1. Buy previously released LSAT exams from LSAC.

2. Buy some good practice tests (non-official LSAT exams) from reputable sources. The Kaplan, Princeton Review, Barron's, and REA books are all pretty good at simulating LSAT questions.

3. After taking an exam, sit down and look at every question you got wrong or were "iffy" about. Get out a pen and a piece of paper and WRITE out an explanation of why the credited response is the right response. Even if you disagree with the LSAT exam and think your answer is right let it go. Write a paragraph or two why the credited response is best.

The above method takes a long time. It takes about 2.5 hours to take the LSAT (most all practice tests leave out the experimental section) and another 2-3 hours to thoughtfully and diligently articulate your corrections in writing. However, I find that doing so really ingrains the proper thinking processes that lead to better answer selection during the test. I take about 5 practice LSAT's a week according to the above prescribed method which is about 25 hours a week of studying.

Since budget is an issue for you, i wouldn't hope for a tutor. Any good tutor that will get you better results than you can get on your own is going to cost more than a Kaplan or PR course.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 04:07:07 PM »
wow. i wish i had that much time to do such intensive studying! lol i also work during the day so i feel like i'd only really have the time to just take a good amount of practice tests, but that's about it. but i wish i just had someone to basically keep nudging me and was able to point out my weak spots and help me find a way to make them stronger. the way i took standardized tests when i was growing up is wayyyy different now.

nonetheless, i do appreciate your sharing your tactics w/me dion! :) thanks!

and dt? i might just take you up on your suggestion. thanks for posting it as well. :)

aj