Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone going to Thomas Jefferson?  (Read 5974 times)

TJ Student

Anyone going to Thomas Jefferson?
« on: March 19, 2004, 12:36:39 AM »
?

Ivan

• View Profile
Re: Anyone going to Thomas Jefferson?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 11:34:31 PM »
i plan to apply at tj school of law for january, any body have any feed back on this school?

California

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 01:27:08 AM »
Hi! I go to Thomas Jefferson. I love it. What would you like to know? Feel free to email me: minimeiam@hotmail.com

Most of the professors are very helpful and really care about students doing well. Whether it's after class, office hours, or email, you can always count on them.

Personnel is very friendly.

Because it is a small school, you get to know practically everyone in your class; which at the beginning can be great if you're new to San Diego; but it can be annoying later in the year when everyone knows everyone else's business. Still, you're there to get a degree, so with that in mind, it's easier to rise above that.

The quality of life is good. You don't feel there's a cut throat competition around you.

The facilities are not impressive by any means, but it's alright. They're not ugly and hey, they're practical.

Lots of Mexican restaurants near the school, the parking situation is not the best, so arrive early!

The computer labs are alright, but most people seem to have their own laptops. Still, the labs are good for printing out from Westlaw and Lexis Nexis for free.

The library is good to study as long as you don't sit near the circulation desks. The people who work there can get loud when having casual conversation among themselves.

The people at financial aid are very helpful.

Anything else, just email me.

Dazy

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 03:26:29 PM »
I am so happy to hear you say good things after actually going there... it seems kinda hard to find people who go there. I've been reading alot of advice on blogs and stuff and either people act like it is worse than a plague b/c it is a low ranked school--or I just can't find anything about it.

I am moving from Seattle at the start of August to be in the Fall 2004 class. I am looking at apartments online and not having so much luck-- and just starting to get very nervous in general about it all. 

What do you think about the different areas in SD- Is it better to live close by and have a not as nice place, or to live in like La Mesa or something and commute? I am looking at a place at Crown Point, it is a huge complex but according to MapQuest is only 5 miles from the school. Pretty expensive though, so I don't know.

Geez... I have a lot of questions, I think I will email you. I hope that is okay!  ;D

abc

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 03:46:49 AM »
Ha ve you tried www.craigslist.org website? It has many listing for apartments and rooms for rent in multiple bedroom apartments and houses. This option might lower your housing costs considerably.

California

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 05:12:30 PM »
Hi Dazy. Sorry for taking so long to reply!

To answer your question, since cost of living in San Diego is so high, I would definitely say go for a cheaper place a bit away from school... as long as you have easy access to freeways 8 and 5. Thomas Jefferson is right off the I-5. Also, being extremely close to school is not always better. I know a classmate who lives in a shady part of downtown and pays $1,000 a month plus utilities for a studio. You can move into a better neighborhood and get a roommate and pay less.

Try checking out Pacific Beach, Point Loma, College Area, Mission Valley. La Mesa's also not that bad of a commute.

A bit of advice, though. If you do end up living near San Diego State University, make sure you don't try to get on the freeway from College Drive because you'll be stuck in traffic forever.

If you have any more questions, feel free to email me at: minimeiam@hotmail.com

Congrats on getting into law school!