Law School Discussion

LSAT scores and undergrad classes.

LSAT scores and undergrad classes.
« on: March 11, 2004, 10:20:28 AM »

Hi there.

I am planning to enter law school this fall, but haven't decided upon school yet. I was just wondering if anyone could estimate a reasonable "good score" on the LSAT. Also, I have few pre-law classes as most of my undergraduate degree consists of science courses and computer classes (double major in biology and information systems).

My GPA is decent (3.87), but I am unsure how much a law school admissions committee would care about such classes.
Finally my age (33) is also making me less attractive to most schools, although I hope this is not creating TO big of an issue.

Would appreciate all input,

Thanks,

J

CriminyCrafft

Re: LSAT scores and undergrad classes.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 02:16:09 PM »
Hi,

I applied to law school for fall of 2004 and got into the school of my choice. To get into a decent school you need to have at least 160 on the LSAT, which shouldn't be too hard considering your GPA. To get into a really really good school I think you need at least 165. I actually think your age will work in your favor! I too am an older student (I will be 29 when I start) and I think work experience helps a lot. Schools want diversity in their entering classes - they don't want a bunch of fresh-out-of-undergrad 21 year olds. Your classes won't matter either - I had NO "pre law" classes and I got into a good school. Take an LSAT Review class like Kaplan and you will do great! Although I think you have missed most of the deadlines for fall 2004.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 06:03:22 PM »
I agree with the above as "general" advice. For more specifics you need to take a look at where you want to practice. Then find the law schools closest to that area. Look at the LSAT's and GPA's for each, and, in particular, the highest ranked ("prestigous") schools. Keep in mind also the cost. Public is usually much cheaper than private, and usually publics are ranked as high as private, everything else being equal. Remember, you are more likely to find employment if you went to a law school in your area. Of course, if you graduate from one of the top 14 in the country, you can practice anywhere.

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 07:17:25 PM »

Thanks to you both.
 I appreciate the encouragements.

Financial aspects are not the main issue as I (probably) will get most of my tuiton paid by present employer, but i am really concerned about getting into a good school.

Thanks again.

-J-