Law School Discussion

John Marshall-Atlanta

John Marshall-Atlanta
« on: March 10, 2004, 10:32:14 AM »
 there are any John Marshall-Atlanta students, I would like to hear your take on the accreditation process. Where does it stand? Is it having a big effect on enrollment?

If JM does not get ABA-approval by August 2008 will the Georgia Supreme Court extend the deadline again? If the extention or ABA-approval does not come through by 2005 will that be a defacto end to JM?

Are the alumni doing anything to help?

I have read the schools official statement on their website. It is the same as every other school trying for approval. It tells you nothing and promises nothing.

My school and two other schools in Alabama are not that different on structure than JM. Jones is seeking approval from the ABA, BSL is not. I feel pretty confident that the politics of state approval make us safe. JM's situation is interesting all the same.

Re: John Marshall-Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 12:47:13 PM »
I used to live in Atlanta and now live in Montgomery, Alabama.  I am looking at Georgia law schools for next year.  I know where you are coming from; however, with John Marshall's accreditation issue, Georgia State University is close by, in-state tuition (approx. $4500/year), and ABA-approved.  Would it not make sense to go to GSU, for instance, than John Marshall?  I remember when they were about to close John Marshall a few years back.  Also, both schools have part time programs.

Just food for thought and throwing discussion out there!   ;)

Christie

Re: John Marshall-Atlanta
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 01:57:30 PM »
I am not advocating for JM over GSU.  I am just interested in the status of JM's state approval.  GSU looks like the better choice if you have it. As of now, unless the ABA approves JM, the Georgia Supreme court will not allow their students who graduate after 8/08 to sit for the bar.  That was extended once. Maybe, it will happen again.

BSL fortunately, has a strong political position in Alabama and a stable administration. They have only had 4 deans in 70 years.

Jones' star has been on the rise since UA cut their ties with them some years ago.  However, I think ABA status is still a reach. They have been turned down once and I have not seen anything to suggest that they are getting close within the next three years.  But I would not rule it out. I think a large endowment like some of the newer ABA schools recieved would do the trick.  If you know someone with an extra $50 million in the bank, I am sure the new dean at Jones could find a user for it.