Author Topic: PLS  (Read 3528 times)

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: PLS
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 03:50:42 AM »
Halfway through Constitutional Law - thankfully it gets less dry.  The only thing so far I will disagree with Atticus about is the coming out with a new edition every few years.  I find it much more interesting reading about cases that I can remember (such as the Gore vs Bush case over the Florida recount), as most the cases in the 1800's I have no knowledge about, it is more like reading history and bad history at that as I really don't know much about what was going on in cases involving butchers in New Orleans (although it is good to know certain things the case decided, I don't know the history around the case I should say..)

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 03:16:48 PM »
ALready, I am somewhat nervous about law school and wondering if I should really order the "PRIMER" books and start preparing.  I brought up my concerns to my friends who are practicing lawyers re: their law school educational experiencesa and such, they said that they personally did not have such of a hard or bitter experience. Instead of wokring hard before school starts, I should spend that time relazing so that when school does start I will be ready to go into study mode and not be burnt out already.

I'm only a little into PLS II and it is starting to make me a little nervous, too.  To be honest, the author's hostility toward law schools is a little alarming.  If I felt so strongly that law schools are in essence defrauding us, I would not go to law school. 

And I share your feeling having to do so much just to start a law education is a little overwhelming. 

I have a long time friend who graduated from Harvard LS in the seventies.  You know, the one that is described by One-L.  (my friend was one year behind Scott Turow).   His advise is similar to your friends.  Relax, rest and save the hard work for law school.

:)
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

HpnotiQ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 04:44:27 PM »
ALready, I am somewhat nervous about law school and wondering if I should really order the "PRIMER" books and start preparing.  I brought up my concerns to my friends who are practicing lawyers re: their law school educational experiencesa and such, they said that they personally did not have such of a hard or bitter experience. Instead of wokring hard before school starts, I should spend that time relazing so that when school does start I will be ready to go into study mode and not be burnt out already.

I'm only a little into PLS II and it is starting to make me a little nervous, too.  To be honest, the author's hostility toward law schools is a little alarming.  If I felt so strongly that law schools are in essence defrauding us, I would not go to law school. 

And I share your feeling having to do so much just to start a law education is a little overwhelming. 

I have a long time friend who graduated from Harvard LS in the seventies.  You know, the one that is described by One-L.  (my friend was one year behind Scott Turow).   His advise is similar to your friends.  Relax, rest and save the hard work for law school.

:)

My only concern is that if I do relax, I am afraid that I will be doing the "I wished I did some pre-law school preparation" kinda thing when I am smack dab in the eye-of-the-hurricane 1L 1st semseter.  I mean, I guess it might not hurt to be like the boyscouts and "be prepared".

Currently I am employed at a one of the nations top law firm doing litigation support and have been here for about 9 months, in which I am fortunate to learn and experience the large firm atmosphere AND have the their name on my resume (even though they work me like a mule and pay not THAT great).  My rationale is that since law school starts around mid-to-end of august and orientation is about begining-to-mid August, I want to take all of July off and either all of June or most of June off to travel and do some pre-law studying.

I am sure it is certain, there won't be any free leisure time in the 3yrs (full time) that I am in law school.  Hence I shuold play and enjoy life now for a bit and do some studying like the "Primers".

What are my fellow PLS readers plans prior to law school?
Can you handle a double shot Incredible Hulk?

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2004, 09:58:05 AM »
What are my fellow PLS readers plans prior to law school?

I'm planning to finish reading PLS, take a deep breath and then see what makes sense for me.

carmine

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004, 04:41:00 PM »
i have decided to read some to get a few concepts and terms into my head, but not overdo it.  i've heard too many criticisms of over-preparing prior to law school.  but, like most things, it all varies with the individual.  so, yes, i'm going to get into some primers...just not going to overdose on them. 8)

HpnotiQ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2004, 09:24:06 PM »
i have decided to read some to get a few concepts and terms into my head, but not overdo it.  i've heard too many criticisms of over-preparing prior to law school.  but, like most things, it all varies with the individual.  so, yes, i'm going to get into some primers...just not going to overdose on them. 8)

What criticisms of over-preparing prior to law school have you heard?  Perhaps it will help readers to guage whats considered overdoing etc. Thanks!
Can you handle a double shot Incredible Hulk?

marista99

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2004, 01:42:29 PM »
I love the book, although I've started skipping over his tirades about pedagogy and such, they get old and paranoid-sounding after awhile. I am going to do as much of the prep as I can, considering I'm working full time.  I want to be at least as prepared as everyone else--and it wouldn't hurt to be ahead of the game either.

carmine

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2004, 05:46:50 PM »
What criticisms of over-preparing prior to law school have you heard?  Perhaps it will help readers to guage whats considered overdoing etc. Thanks!

FROM A LAW STUDENT MESSAGE BOARD:

http://www.xoxohth.com/thread.php?thread_id=8326&mc=46&forum_id=2

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2005, 12:31:45 PM »
After a few months of law school, I am convinced PLS missed the mark, at least for my school. 

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2005, 04:43:30 PM »
I have never heard of PLS.  I did no prep before law school started.  I did work through the LEEWS tapes in Nov. of my first year.  (Much before then you would be lost I think).  I had two A's, an A-, a B= and two C='s after midterm. 
LEEWS offered a useful perspective and I really used those ideas as a jumping off point for stratigizing about how to take exams.  After midterms I reformulated that strategy a bit and ended up on Law Review. 

Most important advice- take your writing class seriously.  Even if it's only half the credits of Torts it's the most important class and it will really prepare you for exams if you learn how to "lawyer".  And at least look at the practice exams on file.  Many professors just regurgitate the same test, so you might as well practice.  It gives you the ability to write faster on the exam.