Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question for Andrew  (Read 2679 times)

Laura

• View Profile
Question for Andrew
« on: February 26, 2004, 11:11:24 AM »
Andrew...you provide such great information and insight regarding your experiences at BULS.  I'm hoping that you can offer some insight and/or advice on my situation. 

My question..Is it feasible to work part time and attend law school full time?  I plan to start law school in the fall of 2005.  I currently work as a litigation paralegal in downtown Boston.  I do not want to lose my place in a good firm and I have the need to work at least part time (20 hrs). My employer has agreed to work around a full time law school schedule.

I understand that the first year is the hardest and, on top of that, you are not able to pick and choose your schedule of classes.  With these things in mind is an arrangement such as mine realistic?  How much time during your first year was devoted to classes and study? 

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: Question for Andrew
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 09:43:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure there's an ABA rule against working more the 20 hours per week your first year.  Under 20 hours (if I'm right) is therefore permissible, but never recommended.

That said, there were students in my class that worked throughout law school.  It can be done.

Be wary of relying too much on firm connections.  It's definitly good to keep up with your employer and hope to return, but in my experience law firms really only care about grades (they'll tell you otherwise, but ask the job seekers).  It's amazing how some of these firms won't give the time of day to their respected former employees because they aren't in the top x% of the class.

A lot depends on how you manage your time and how efficient you are.  It would help you a lot if you happen to be a fast reader or if you have some time at work that you could use to study.  I can't give you an hourly figure of how much work there is in law school - it's different for everyone.