Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any opinions?  (Read 10877 times)

Ken B.

• View Profile
    • Email
Any opinions?
« on: February 09, 2004, 10:06:39 AM »
Non-trad/foreign-ed/degree GPA 3.41/LSAT 146, 151/lots of WE

Got letter of admission yesterday. Trying to gather any info about PT program at this school(same question I posted for Pace).

Thanks,

Ken.

canuck

Re: Any opinions?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 11:33:50 AM »
hey ken,

congrads.  like you, i'm a non-trad/foreing-deg/with lots of WE.  my grads are pretty bad but my lsat was decent. 

i just phoned today and they told me i was accepted and that the letter was on the way.  i didn't even think of asking them if i was accepted FT or PT b/c my sole intention was to attend full-time.  i was wondering if you had specifically requested PT status?

i've heard good things about Hofstra.  my friend works for Goldmans Sachs in NYC, and the school does get name recognition (although it's nowhere near NYU, Columbia, Cornell, or Fordham).  i've also heard most students are from the local area.  here's the general gist of all the message boards i've seen:  campus isn't that great, great faculty and staff, do well and you have no worries.

maybe i'll see you come September.

Ken B.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 12:07:31 AM »
Thanks, canuck, and congrats!

I applied to PT day. Then they informed me about new PT eve pgm
as additional choice. I agreed for both and was admitted for eve.

My friend in Shulte, Roth & Zabel said they have Hofstra graduates. By the way, this Sun.,March 28 in 10 AM there will be Admitted Student Reception in Hofstra. I'll be there.

Tomorrow I'll visit the same event in Pace (my other choice for know, still waiting for couple others...)

I'll keep you posted.

canuck

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 10:08:23 AM »
hey Ken B,

i actually got an e-mail about the admitted students day before i got my acceptance letter (inefficient Canadian mail).  Since I was notifed last week, I wasn't able to make arrangements to go.

hopefully, if you can tell me how it went and what your impressions were, i would really appreciate it.  hope you have a good time at Pace as well.

thanks again for the info,

canuck

Ken B.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 08:24:13 PM »
Hi, canuck,

Quite frankly, both Pace & Hofstra looks good for me. Pace even has a beautiful campus, people are very friendly.

Hofstra looks good as well, but it has higher ranking, more reputable faculty. All attorneys I talked to advised me to take
Hofstra v. Pace. And I probably will do that if nothing came up
from others.

Do you have your data on http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com ?
Mine is under "KL" user ID.

canuck

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 10:48:20 PM »
hey Ken B,

thanks for all the info, you've been really helpful!  i'm also registered on lawschoolnumbers.com.  my user id is "becodico".  don't ask - it's just one of the many pet names my girlfriend has bestowed on me....

my heart is set on Hofstra but i'm waiting for Buffalo because it's so close to home.  the tuition is a big plus too.  there's something i can't understand though...SUNY at Buffalo is a tier 2 school but it's starting salaries are really low.  i'm wondering if Buffalo's name carries any weight in NYC.

i will definitely keep you posted on this board if i do decide to go to Hofstra.  you seem like a really interesting guy with tons of work/life experience.  i think you will be add a lot of value to whichever student body you join.

thanks again!

Ken B.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 10:48:53 PM »
Hi, canuck, and thanks for your words!
My friend in Shulte, Roth happens to be a ...Buffalo graduate.
She liked the school. Her 1L wasn't very good, then she aced up
2L&3L, made some secondary Law Review and graduated Magna Cum Laude. Among young associates she knows one more from her school and four from Hofstra.
Salary difference can be probably explained by the fact that majority of graduates are employed locally.
I understand your concern about money. Actually I am still waiting from two less expensive schools, Rutgers and even (!)
CUNY.
So if you think about NYC Big Law, Hofstra is better known, but if you can make Buffalo closer to the top of the class, you're OK. 

canuck

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 09:17:27 AM »
hey Ken B,

Thanks so much for the info.  I'm sending in my Hofstra seat deposit today so that I have somewhere for sure to go in August.  I've asked for advice on other boards and they all agree with you:  Hofstra would be a better school for BigLaw in NYC.  I'm just gonna have to kiss the $1150 good bye (plus housing) if Buffalo comes through and I decide to go.

Take care and keep me posted on what you decide!

Ken B.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 10:28:04 PM »
Hi, canuck,
Looks like you're all set w/Hofstra. Congrats! I hope you will like it. I myself also sent deposit over there a few days ago. Since then got last two rejection letters, and looks like ...    I am all set w/Hofstra as well.
Recently I broke up w/my girlfriend, and I am thinking about renting something at Hofstra vicinity or even on campus. I am wondering what's your plan. And what do you think about graduate student housing? They gave us a tour on Admitted Student Day - looked fine for me. Lack of commuting, close contact w/guys from school, and available furniture would be a plus. But I am not sure how it will be in term of privacy. Never live in situation like that before. I need you opinion.
Talk to you soon. 

canuck

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 10:31:25 AM »
Hey Ken B.!

Looks like we'll be classmates this fall, buddy.  I just got rejected from Buffalo on Friday and a Canadian law school I was holding out for sent me my waiting list letter yesterday.  Now I just have to scrounge up the finances.

I'm real sorry to hear about you and your girlfriend.  That's real tough and I think I can sort of relate.  I hope you're hanging in there.

I was just thinking if you're interested in being roomates this fall?  I already sent my housing deposit in to Hofstra too but all I have to do is call them up and request you as a roommate.  I think it's about $500-$700 cheaper if you live in a double instead of a single.

Since you already toured the graduate housing, here's what I know from living in dorms/residences.  As long as our entire house is graduate students, we should have no worries when it comes to noise.  But there was one residence there, Twin Oaks, with Graduate Student floors.  From my experience, this doesn't stop those crazy undergrads from partying it up at all hours, everyday.  Don't get me wrong, I did the same thing, but when I'm paying this much for school and my marks are that critical, I can't be worrying about loud music on a Wednesday night. 

If we can get an apartment style residence together, they usually have a bathroom in the suite.  If not, they usually have bathrooms for the entire floor and that sucks.  It's like going to the gym three times a day!  And you always have to wear flip=flops in the shower.  As for privacy, from what I can tell it's totally up to how you present yourself to your floormates and neighbours.  I know of guys who are totally no-nonsense and keep to themselves and they pretty much are left alone.  Then there are others who socialize a bit more and they'll get called on occasionally to go hangout and stuff.

I know this post is already too long, but if you would like to be roommates, I guess I should tell you a bit more about myself.  I love my sports and I love watching sports so I'm gonna try and make time to do that in law school - if only to keep me sane.  I'm generally clean, although my room does tend to get messier as time progresses before eventually I have to clean it up!  I'm a pretty social guy but my goal is to do really well and my focus will always be school first.  Besides that, I've always respected the privacy of my former roommates and I'll try and help out in anyway I can.  My parents are from Korea so I love Korean food and it tends to sort of smell a bit for those that don't like that stuff.  I also like to occasionally have a game of poker with the boys now and then.

Like I said in my earlier posts, you seem like a real interesting dude who's life experiences will definitely add value to the student body.  My dream for law school is to struggle together with my fellow students, helping each other along the way, and forging good friendships that will last a long time.  I don't really enjoy competitive cut-throat competition, but I know it's a numbers game all the same.  Since we'll both be going to the same school, whether or not you decide to stay near campus, it would be great to meet up with you and finally put a face to the poster. :)

So let me know!  Housing deposits are first-come first-serve so it would be good for you to get it in soon.  No pressure to accept my offer either, I know the value of having your space and privacy, especially when we'll have to study so much.  I think you'll enjoy living on campus or near campus.  When you're pulling in late hours at the library, it's niceto know your bed is only a few minutes away.

I don't know if you told me before, but are you going to be working during school?  And are you going for the part-time day or evening section?  Good luck with everything Ken B.!  Hope you're doing alright and getting stoked for law school.  Give me a holla on this board or e-mail me and I'll usually respond in a couple of days.

Talk to you soon.