Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HAVE YOU Xferd? To? From? #'s?  (Read 11713 times)

J

Re: HAVE YOU Xferd? To? From? #'s?
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 01:33:46 PM »
Sorta lost me on the 2nd bit :)

What I meant was, say I'm attending American U, I'm top 10% and now want to transfer to another school.  I could see applying to say UCBerkeley if I'm from the area without giving American U a bad vibe, but if I start trying to transfer to Georgetown, GWU, Berkeley, NYU, etc., and then I get rejected at all of them, wouldn't American U's administration and faculty be put off with me?

justinjcu

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 04:13:20 PM »
Sorry, when you said "home" school I thought you meant the school you were trying to transfer to which is closer to home (as in my case) not the school currently attending (that does make more sense I guess)!

In my situation I have social (moving near my finacee who is 500 mi away), economical (instate tution), and geographical (closer to where I want to work) reasons for trying to transfer.  I don't mind discussing these with my current professors who are willing to write me recommendations.  I may feel somewhat uncomfortable if I only wanted to leave for the "school rank."  But with that said, it is still your decision, I would not lose sleep over what the facalty think of me even though you may end up there for another two years.   

Ziva

Yale
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 04:36:20 PM »
Yale is a long shot (they expressly state that they want their transfer candidates to have LSAT/UGPA numbers that would have been competitive in regular admissions).

Are you sure?  I thought it was just Harvard that said this (you must have been competitive in regular admissions).  Maybe I missed something in Yale's bulletin.

Ziva

Yale
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 05:59:00 PM »
I re-checked Yale's website and bulletin and there is no mention of this requirement.  With Harvard it's right on their website.  If someone knows otherwise, please correct me. 

holidayinspain

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2004, 12:19:40 AM »
i heard the same thing (what rally said), not sure where though either. whereas columbia and nyu and some others have a history of taking transfers that probably wouln't have (or didn't) get in as a 1L applicant, i don't think Yale has that. maybe i am misinformed, but i heard that is true for HYS.

sorry i don't recall where i heard that...

good luck though--

rally-- what tier did you transfer from, did you have a hard time getting reccs from profs. at your old school, and do you like your new school?

thanks,
hs. ;)

marista99

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2004, 11:50:29 PM »
Does someone with a 160 LSAT and 3.02 GPA who does REALLY well (like 3.9 or something) at a tier 2 or 3 school have a shot at transfering to a top 10?  Or would I be automatically out because of my LSAT and GPA, despite good performance first year?

holidayinspain

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2004, 11:32:59 PM »
in all honesty, people don't get 3.9's in law school. i have heard that usually a 3.2-3.5 is great, and that is usually where the top 10% of the class is. Rank is what matters for transfer purposes, not gpa. you need to be in the top 10-15% depending on the school, to transfer. the transfer policies for each school are usually found on their individual websites. hth.

hs.

Z

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2004, 12:40:27 AM »
Do you think schools take diversity into account with transfers or is it straight numbers?

holidayinspain

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2004, 09:20:30 AM »
i think schools are always taking diversity into account... but not to the same degree that they might when it is 1L season. I mean, their numbers are set... the USNWR rankings and ABA statistics are done so it doesn't matter from a business viewpoint if they accept more minorities or not. However, I am assuming (hopefully) that many schools really want a diverse population (racially, economically, etc) and think it makes their educational system better, so if there are two transfer applicants, they are going to take the one who has more to offer, both in terms of numbers and in terms of life experiences (which would include stuff like race, gender, sexual orientation, econ. status, work experience, etc etc etc). being a URM certainly won't get you the same leg-up that it would in a regular application setting..... (in my opinion of course)

hs. 

HpnotiQ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2004, 05:06:48 PM »
What do you all think what is stated in this article?
http://www.princetonreview.com/law/research/articles/find/transfer.asp

how much truth or exceptions are there etc?
Can you handle a double shot Incredible Hulk?