Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HAVE YOU Xferd? To? From? #'s?  (Read 11778 times)

ReasonablePerson

• No, really I am reasonable.
    • View Profile
HAVE YOU Xferd? To? From? #'s?
« on: February 01, 2004, 02:07:35 PM »
I'm thinking about xfering next semester (fall '04) from Florida Coastal.  I have a 3.0 (24th percentile).  Did poorly on the LSATs (147 avg of two scores).  I would like to make a move up and probably would not make a side move. 

Did you xfer?  Where to?  What were your numbers?  Any Advice?

Many thanks!
Shepster

thepope

• View Profile
Re: HAVE YOU Xferd? To? From? #'s?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 05:51:26 PM »
I'm thinking about a transfer this fall as well. I'm at SMU right now, and was fortunate enough to end the fall semester with a 3.9 GPA. I guess I have a couple of questions for anyone knowledgeable:

1) Would I be better off staying at a low 1st / high 2nd tier school and joining the law review, or transfering to a top school?

2) Do I have a realistic chance of getting into, say, Penn, Columbia or -- dare I say -- Yale, if I am able to repeat my 1st semester performance?

My LSAT was reasonable (164)

Thanks in advance

ReasonablePerson

• No, really I am reasonable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 11:31:00 AM »
Hey Pope, congratulations on the 3.9.  Do you know what your percentile rank is?  From what I hear, that's what's most important when xfering.

PS. How did you study?  Any hints for la bourgeoisie?

xferee

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 04:36:36 PM »
With your numbers you should be able to transfer to a top school.  I went from a 4th tier to a top 5 and my LSAT was similar to yours.  I also had a 3.9 GPA and ranked No. 1 in my section and No. 2 in the school.  I also think my recommendations were excellent and my essay "inspiring" according to some who read it.  Whatever it was, I got in, and you probably can too.  Wish you the best.

Ziva

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 06:39:25 PM »
xferee-

How is it going from a 4th tier to a top five?  Are you happy with the switch? 

justinj

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004, 12:41:23 AM »
Does anyone know if it matters when you apply to transfer?

I was under the impression that your file is not even reviewed until they have your complete first year grades (at least June) so I would think rolling admission is not possible.

I have decent grades so far, 3.44 at WVU (class average 2.46) which is a tier 3 school.  I am interested in transfering closer to home.  I spoke with the admission director at South Carolina (my home state and a tier 2 school), he said 8 people were accepted last year and about 40 applied.  I also am planning to apply at GA and GA state.  I would love to hear from anyone else who has been successful in a similar situation.   

rallyemax

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 06:41:26 PM »
I'm thinking about a transfer this fall as well. I'm at SMU right now, and was fortunate enough to end the fall semester with a 3.9 GPA. I guess I have a couple of questions for anyone knowledgeable:

1) Would I be better off staying at a low 1st / high 2nd tier school and joining the law review, or transfering to a top school?

2) Do I have a realistic chance of getting into, say, Penn, Columbia or -- dare I say -- Yale, if I am able to repeat my 1st semester performance?

My LSAT was reasonable (164)

Thanks in advance

The reality is that transferring from a top-tier2 or even from a low-tier1 into a top school (top 10 or so) will give you more employment opportunities anywhere in the U.S. except where you are right now.  If you intend on working close to where you go to school now, staying may be a viable option (especially if you make law review).  But if you want to make yourself competitive in far-away job markets, a top-10 school is the way to go.

I think your numbers give you a good chance at Columbia, NYU, Michigan and Northwestern (I was accepted to those schools with a 3.9 from a mid-tier2).  Yale is a long shot (they expressly state that they want their transfer candidates to have LSAT/UGPA numbers that would have been competitive in regular admissions).  Be careful with UPenn -- they overenrolled the 2005 class during regular admissions and did not take any transfers last year.  I don't know if this will happen this year.  It is something to keep in mind when you decide to how many schools you intend to apply, however.  It is better to "waste" $60-120 and err on the side of caution.

Good luck.

thepope

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 09:21:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure that I will transfer, but good to keep one's options open.

As far as studying, I actually did quite a bit less studying than a lot of others around me, but when I did study I tried to devote myself to the enterprise at hand. Also, I'm 30, and have a wife and a 6-month old son, so my time at school must be very devoted.

As far as study methods go, you might not want to go the route I went. I don't take any notes on my reading, nor use any hi-liters, etc. I just read for content. Then, I pay very careful attention to during lecture. Then, re-read the material (with your new appreciation) and discuss it in a study group.

I didn't take a single outline into any of my finals.

Again, perhaps not the method for everyone.

J

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 02:43:55 AM »
Hmm, I wonder... for those schools that receive 40 transfer apps and only accept 8, are most of the 40 people who were top 10% in their class or were most of them underqualified in the first place.  The reason I ask is I know for law apps themselves, a school may only accept 20% but if you have a given score, your chances are 95%, etc.

Also, how do your home schools take the news that you want to transfer?  Especially if you get rejected at your target schools...

justinj

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 11:26:52 AM »
What I was told is that when 40 apply the number is misleading.  The requirement to even be considered is a 3.0 and in the top 50% of your class.  People always apply hoping their 2nd semester grades will put the over (or keep them above) this threshold.  Therefore, you may only be competing with 20 people for the spots which vary depending on space.

As far as "how the school takes it" each school is only guessing when they use undergrad GPA and LSAT as a success indicator for law school.  If you apply, don't get in, then come back with a great GPA from another school you are basicially saying "see, I told you so."  Instate students supposedly given prefrence for state schools even when transfering.