Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HAVE YOU Xferd? To? From? #'s?  (Read 11716 times)

panahi

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - brianpanahiid
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HAVE YOU Xferd? To? From? #'s?
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2004, 12:00:17 AM »
That article sounds like good information. The fact that they rarely offer scholarships to transfers has a big impact on my plans. It sounds like not many people try to transfer, and that if you have a good reason and are capable you have a good shot.

Thanks for linking to it!
Anonymous Class of 2007
Anonymous Scholar

sb

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2004, 09:30:56 PM »
I am also thinking of the transfer option...  160 LSAT top 5% 1st semester but not sure after 2nd semester b/c our grades have STILL not come out. (I'm at a mid tier 2 school) I would love berkeley or Penn, but really unsure of what my chances are...  any thoughts?  Do I even have a chance?

BooshkyBear

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2004, 09:57:29 AM »
I am trying to transfer from full time 2nd tier (Mercer University) to some higher ranked second tier schools.  My grades are average...I think i am in the middle of the class and my LSAT was average in the low 150's.  Does anyone have a clue what other criteria they will look at.  Do I have any kind of a chance for these schools.  It is not really a lateral move to other 2nd tier because I want to work back in the areas where I am applying to transfer not in Georgia.  Thanks for any assistance.

davial0

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2004, 07:30:19 PM »
My understanding that very few schools look at LSATs- mostly class rank and recomendations (usu need to be in 10% to to 20%)

Mark

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2004, 08:41:59 AM »
Hi--

I am interesting in transferring after my first year from the University of Detroit Mercy to a higher ranked law school--Tier 3 or maybe tier 2.  While my LSAT is quite low (142), I have a high undergraduate and graduate GPA (M.A.).  I was wondering if it's true that one must be in the top 20% to successfully transfer?  A number of schools I have contacted say I must be in the top 20% to even be considered.  Is this true or are there exceptions?  Again, I am not looking to transfer to an exceptional school--just one that has a better, more national reputation.  Also, anyone know of others who have successfully transferred out of U. of D. Mercy? 

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Mark

baseballjones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2004, 04:08:32 PM »
Transfer Hypo:

Student A is in the top 10% of her class at USD.  She has graded onto Law Review and has earned a full scholarship b/c of her 1st year peformance.

Is student A better off staying at USD and being a top dog with free law school or transferring to UC Berk. with no scholarship and a tuition of approx. 23k a year?  Also, no gaurenteed spot on Law Review.

Assuming Student A has no preference of where she wants to practice with the exception that she wants to remain in CA.?

Now consider she wants to practice in the Bay Area and not in SoCal.?

Now consider she wants to practice in a medium size firm with no preference where and not in a Mega firm.?

What do u guys think?  I hope to have these problems in about 7 or 8 months.

I have been pondering this in my mind for about 6 months now and some feedback would be great.

davial0

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2004, 05:57:35 PM »
Hi--

I am interesting in transferring after my first year from the University of Detroit Mercy to a higher ranked law school--Tier 3 or maybe tier 2.  While my LSAT is quite low (142), I have a high undergraduate and graduate GPA (M.A.).  I was wondering if it's true that one must be in the top 20% to successfully transfer?  A number of schools I have contacted say I must be in the top 20% to even be considered.  Is this true or are there exceptions?  Again, I am not looking to transfer to an exceptional school--just one that has a better, more national reputation.  Also, anyone know of others who have successfully transferred out of U. of D. Mercy? 

Well, honestly it gonna almost imposssible to make an upward transfer (no matter how small) without being at the top of your class. ( some schools like Ohio State, won't condsider your application if your stats gpa and LSAT would not have been competitive for their normal admissions cycle) This is usually the reason for a few reasons. First there are very limited number spots (alot schools just take in enough students to replace the students who left)and when they have 50 top students applying for 10 seats there is no need to take a risk on a middle of the pack person when they know for sure that any of those 50 students can succeed and will go there? Remember most students at the lower ranked schools have dreams of transferring up so you will be up for steep competition, and if you don't have a better reason than I want to go to a higher ranked school and you don't have the grades, why would they take you?( not trying to be mean) But it probably will not be that crucil if you are trying to transfer into another tier 4. But on the bright side most schools won't care about your LSAT score, b/c LSAT scores are supposed to predict your grades in law school, and when you apply to transfer you'll have grades. Just try to aim for the top of your class and you probably can find a tier 3 or 2 school to get into.

I went into my current school ( lower end of tier 2) with hopes of transferring into Ohio State or Michigan but after being here awhile I love it and doubt I will try to transfer (plus I don't wanna take out loans, I'm have a scholarship at my current school).