Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Concord Law School  (Read 69498 times)

law543

• View Profile
Re: Back to Concord Law School. . .
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2005, 03:48:07 AM »
Hi all -

Thought I'd bring this discussion full circle back to the Concord discussion. . .

I'm really interested in your thoughts on my dilemma.

I am a full-time online professor.  I've been teaching online for about six years, FT for about a year.  As others have posted in this and other threads, without a doubt, online courses are just as (if not more) challenging than F2F ones.  I went to a "brick and mortar" school for undergrad and graduate school and have taught a myriad of courses both online and F2F.  Alternately, I realize that there is still a stigma about online ed.

So, here's my dilemma. . .

If I do not wish to practice law and only want the JD because of the need for a terminal degree in upper-level administrative positions within higher education is Concord the way to go?  As all of you, I'm quite busy (FT career, young kids, etc.) so a "traditional" law program is out of the question, but recognize that I cannot move much higher in my career without a doctorate degree.  Alternately, I am much more interested in law course work than the courses required within a doctorate in education, psychology, etc.

I look forward to seeing your thoughts on this; thank you in advance.

I would venture a guess that any online law school (barring those with terrible reputations within the subculture of online schools) would be sufficient to achieve your goal. Concord, I believe, is the most "prestigious" within the online law community...but they haven't been around the longest, nor do they have the best reputation or bar passage-rate stats. Yet...they are one of the most expensive, if not THE most. I don't even fully understand Concord's claim of being the first completely online juris doctor program...because NWCUL has been doing this since the early 80's. Maybe I'm missing what the distinction is.

You might also look into William Howard Taft school of law...as well as Northwestern California school of law. Both will earn you online juris doctors...both offer a non-bar JD...and I don't think choosing one of these lesser expensive schools will be substantially different, with regard to how your degree will be regarded, than if you decide to go with Concord.

At any rate...good luck and let us know what you decide!

Law543

UCC 2-105

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Concord Law School
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2005, 10:59:39 AM »
Technically, the JD degree does not entitle the holder to the title "Doctor."  The law degree that entitles the holder to that title is the Doctor of Juridical Science. If it is the title you are after and you going to stay in academia, there are several online PhD programs.  Personally, I think the JD degree gives you more flexibility.  If you don't want to practice law, then Concord (or one of the other online law programs) would be the way to go.

law543

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2005, 11:40:15 AM »
Technically, the JD degree does not entitle the holder to the title "Doctor."  The law degree that entitles the holder to that title is the Doctor of Juridical Science. If it is the title you are after and you going to stay in academia, there are several online PhD programs.  Personally, I think the JD degree gives you more flexibility.  If you don't want to practice law, then Concord (or one of the other online law programs) would be the way to go.

There is an interesting discussion of this distinction here: http://forums.degreeinfo.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9728

Some argue that the term "doctor" used for MD's is more of a recent phenomenon...whereas in the past they were called "physicians". Technically, the JD holder can be called a "doctor" if that were our tradition, for the degree is equivilent to the MD or the DDS (Dentists are also called doctors...yet they don't hold a PhD.) The medical doctor holds an undergraduate degree...then earns the title "doctor" because he holds the graduate degree of "medical doctor"...the dentist holds an undergraduate degree...then earns a graduate degree of "doctor of dental surgery"...likewise, the lawyer earns an undergraduate degree and then earns a graduate degree of "doctor of jurisprudence"...or "juris doctor"...equivilent in law to what the medical graduate earns in medicine or the dental graduate earns in dentistry.

Neither do medical doctors, doctors of dentistry, or doctors of jurisprudence necessarily hold post-graduate doctoral degrees...yet they all, by virtue of the graduate degrees they each respectively earn, can be called "doctors", technically.

I don't think a JD should be called a "doctor"...simply because it's misleading, traditionally, and it would seem strange to hear lawyers called "doctor" in a court of law...though I wouldn't mind if a law professor used the title, as the term seems to traditionally be conferred upon professors.

I would only argue that your statement that "technically" they aren't called "doctor" should instead be stated "traditionally" they aren't called doctor...because "technically", when compared to MDs and DDS degree holders...they are. It just doesn't make sense, traditionally, to confer that title upon lawyers.

Law543

dfetter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2005, 07:06:59 AM »
I am jumping into this discussion late, but just happened into it and want to give my opinion of Concord Law School.   I am an alumni and just passed the February 2005 Bar exam (first try).  I did not even take a review program (Concord HIGHLY recommends you DO take a review course, however).  In addition, due to a tragedy in my family just before I completed the program, I studied much less than I would have otherwise.

My success is due to the excellent education and preparation I received at Concord.  The professors are extraordinary.  I have an M.S. also and attended some doctorate level courses, so I have plenty of prior education to compare this experience to. 

Concord is not for everyone.  Due to the nature of the program, it takes a great deal of self-motivation.  The administration and professors are available and extremely  willing to assist at every step, but you must keep pace with the program to succeed.  Additionally, if you are not in CA and wish to practice law, check the requirements of the state you want to practice in.   Some states will let you take their exam after passing the CA bar; others have additional requirements (LLM or years of experience, etc).

If you want the education for the knowledge, not to practice law, this is the way to go.  Concord has an executive JD program which does not require you to take the FYLX, but that will not qualify you to sit for the CA bar. 

As for library, I had done some traditional legal research for a seminar in law I took at Syracuse University many years ago so I can make a comparison.  I cannot imagine why anyone would want to research that old fashioned way with the sources available online.   I know they are expensive, but not in the long run.  You can do in minutes online what takes hours in a traditional library.  Concord gives access to Westlaw and other resources as part of the program.  When comparing the cost of online schools, be sure to find out what research tools they include.  The cost of Concord has increased considerably since I started the program, but even at current rates the price is worth it.  Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

plumeria

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2005, 03:45:32 AM »
Thanks for the useful information on Concord and the rest. :)

duckasourus

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2006, 01:03:53 PM »
can i get some fries with your fake law degree?

janieseas

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2006, 05:26:20 PM »
Any alumni from Concord out there can give advice to prospective students considering non tradiional law school? I currently in the process of considering a distance learning law school, Concord is pressing for $$ upfront, and I am not familiar with other on line programs available. I did research the ABA site - currently only 3 states allow correspondence law school students to sit for the bar exam..CA,DC & NM, however there are quite a few states that will allow bar exam entrance after passing in another state- is it worth it to take the bar exam twice? some states will also allow acceptance to the state bar without an exam with certain conditions, (like 5 yrs experience as attorney). Any advice? 

sdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2006, 11:29:32 PM »
I am almost positive that the states that allow you to transfer in after 5 years only apply to ABA graduates and will never let a non-aba grad practice.

duckasourus

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2006, 01:41:58 PM »
Concord is such a rip off, there are a lot of law schools in California that are ABA, the non ABA schools are horrible and thus lack the ABA status.  I am sure others will say crap about being 40 and not able to go to a traditional school but news flash a fake law degree as a midlife crisis is pathetic.  If online schools were any good they would be accredited but NONE are, you can only take the bar in a few states and CA makes u take the baby bar too and the bar pass rates are HORRIBLE for non ABA schools

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2006, 09:36:06 PM »
I almost decided on Concord. I work full-time and have to because I am a single mom. I ended up not starting with Concord because they lack the ABA approval. The only reason that Concord does not have ABA approval is not because they are a terrible school, but because the ABA will not approve online law schools. Maybe that will change in a few year, but personally, I doubt that requirement will change.

I am in law school now, as a part-time student at an ABA approved school. I still catch slack because it is not some T14 school...but there are people who have family, careers, etc. who have no other choice but to attend an online school or a local T3 or T4 school on a part-time basis. If I did not have my family responsibilities, I would attend full-time and may have moved out of the local area.

I know somebody who graduated from Concord, passed the bar exam (first try for him also)...I think it is what you make out of it. Also, if you are older and already have a career and are wanting to enhance your career options, an online JD degree may be for you...if you are 22, fresh out of undergrad, the online is probably not an option.

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1