Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Concord Law School  (Read 69180 times)

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Concord Law School
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2005, 11:19:12 PM »
The proof is in the pudding.

Care to elaborate?

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2005, 11:21:02 PM »
"1. Don't act like a religious fanatic or an escaped Taliban commando the next time you advocate DL- it will only make you look crazy, and will hurt your credibility."

Still advocating DL, still feeling good about it.  See my previous post in this thread.  Actually reading the post before you respond will save you embarassment in the future.

Buh-bye.

Your post is not at all responsive to anything I have said. I did not take issue with your support of DL, only with your methods of doing so. The fact that your last post could have been written by a reasonable individual does not negate the raving madness of your other posts, as well as your blog.

Second, your TTT mind is incapable of embarrassing me. However, learning to spell might save you from future embarrassment.

HTH and pwn3d!

I agree.  Bashing very reputable law schools like Boalt by saying DL grads are better attorneys is hardly going to win you favor.

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2005, 08:50:14 PM »
I agree, the true TTTs will reveal themselves in due time.

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2005, 10:34:09 PM »
Yes......usually here and quite often.

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2005, 11:34:39 PM »
Also in the employment realm and in TTT public interest jobs HTH.

JonR0921

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2005, 07:12:16 AM »
Also in the employment realm and in TTT public interest jobs HTH.

What's wrong with public interest jobs? 

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2005, 12:58:12 PM »
Nothing, provided you don't mind being poor.

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2005, 05:59:19 AM »
Good schools don't guarantee good lawyers. 
Good students don't guarantee good lawyers.
Same goes for bad schools and bad students.
A lot goes into the mix. 

when -- God willing -- we finish law school and practice the law, we'll see what works and who's a good lawyer.

The proof is in the pudding.

Care to elaborate?

You make a valid point.  There are those who slip through the cracks at every institution, as there are those who excel at mediocre schools.  However, although there is no objective way to qualitatively judge law school graduates, top law firms still prefer graduates from highly-ranked schools.  That is not to say that they will never hire an exceptional graduate from a 4th Tier school, but the trend certainly doesn't show a preference for the latter. 

I am certain that each person who goes to a DL program or a 4th Tier school banks on being just that exceptional graduate, but, by definition, not every DL or 4th Tier grad can be exceptional.  It is naive to go to attend such a program and believe that you have a "good shot" at top law firms when so much evidence points to the contrary.

What DOWNY and some other posters mean, I think, is that those who choose to attend such programs should be more realistic than to believe that the anecdotal evidence about this and that graduate from their program that made it big is going to undoubtedly materialize into reality for them. 

sharkfish

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2005, 03:03:21 PM »

What DOWNY and some other posters mean, I think, is that those who choose to attend such programs should be more realistic than to believe that the anecdotal evidence about this and that graduate from their program that made it big is going to undoubtedly materialize into reality for them.

I really doubt anyone going to a non-ABA or distance learning school is really seriously considering BIGLAW in the first place.  People who go the route less traveled are more likely to have the time and interest in helping others.

Money isn't everything.

This article has been circulating around the internet for awhile...

http://www.jd2b.com/VanderbiltLawReview.pdf

It is an EXCELLENT review of the issues of working in certain areas of law and the consequences of a legal career in BIGLAW. 

Here is  my take on public interest law...from Barry Scheck. 

http://www.dljd.net/2005/01/price-of-law-school.html

I will probably never get to the esteemed position that Scheck is in to raise the money to help such individuals, but my DL law degree will allow me to be one of the soldiers.

That is all I ask for...lack of debt will allow me to do whatever it is that I want without having to slave away under the thumb of the wealthy. 

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2005, 04:26:47 PM »

I don't know, but I have read in many places that HYS and others have grave flaws in their programs.  That's not my opinion.  It's the experts and pundits who say that.  If those experts and pundits are correct, there are parts of my education at NSL that will be superior to those schools, but you don't have an argument with me.  Your argument is with the experts and pundits.  I don't know the first think about HYS and the better schools.  I'm not in a position to judge them.  Any criticisms I've leveled against them are echoes of those experts and pundits.

What "experts" do you speak of? The vast, overwhelming majority of law school "experts" hold HYS in the highest esteeem.