Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Concord Law School  (Read 69808 times)

Prolodoc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Concord Law School
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2005, 01:24:11 PM »
Please expand on the virtual office concept.  That is new to me.  Can you actually use that to count toward the 5 years needed to apply in other states>  Thanks, Prolodoc
I saw an adult one time.  I was not impressed.  I refuse to grow up!

guiltyascharged

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2005, 06:23:33 PM »
Virtual office: one that exists in form, not substance.  Register your company in CA, establish a place of business (if needed) through one of many agents for hire and conduct biz via the internet, telephone, mail.  Required court appearance can be contracted out to any of the numerous attorneys for hire.  Sure, it cuts into the profit but the idea is to accrue the time needed to qualify in another state. And the rules don't stipulate the business has to be successful. One will, probate or clean divorce each year should be all that's needed to demonstrate an active practice.  Will it work?  I'll let you know in a few years.   ;)

chaser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2005, 05:45:23 PM »
St. Thomas University in Miami is very receptive to DL J.D. applicants for LL.M., and is ABA approved.

After that, I would just apply to any ABA school that offers LLM; which is in an area geographically you want to practice.  What subjects they offer the LL.M IN is also a factor.  Like, for instance, the University of Arizona offers one in "Indigenous Peoples Rights."  You are either highly interested in that subject...or you are not. 

Some offer "general" LL.M.'s.  Needless to say, you've got to think of a topic you want to write a 150 page thesis on, citing 50 references (or whatever the requirements are.)  Here's a topic: "Should DL be legal in this state?"  Then conclude, "Yes."  Get published, and send it to a state legislator, and some influential people on the bar commitee of the state!

The worst-case scenario is that they turn you down and you lose the time and nominal money for the application fee. 

(Okay...maybe somebody somewhere will insult you.  But if you can't recover from that, you shouldn't be a lawyer anyway [debatably].)

(If you passed the California bar, I'll bet you are more qualified to practice law than many of the other LL.M. students currently in  the school.)
"Civilization is the process of reducing the infinite to the finite."  Oliver Wendell Holmes

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2005, 05:57:45 PM »
1. Do IVY League schools "look down" on Concord?
Answer: Yes. They also look down on all state universities that are not rated in the top tier. You do yourself a disservice if you chose your school based on how students at IVY league schools will perceive you.

Ivy schools are not the only ones who look down on Concord. Most Ivy students have not heard of Concord. Even TTT students look down on Concord as well as every other "distance learning" thing. Sorry, but that's the truth. HTH

sharkfish

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2005, 06:23:44 PM »
Answer: Yes. They also look down on all state universities that are not rated in the top tier. You do yourself a disservice if you chose your school based on how students at IVY league schools will perceive you.

Ivy schools are not the only ones who look down on Concord. Most Ivy students have not heard of Concord. Even TTT students look down on Concord as well as every other "distance learning" thing. Sorry, but that's the truth. HTH

If we cared what Ivy students or anyone else thought we'd all be buying the most expensive car, house, and wearing designer clothes, too.  But nobody is that stupid to care, and if they do, it is because they are afraid their secret will be exposed:  practicing law simply isn't that hard.  The bar is the great equalizer.  If you should not have been in law school, you won't pass the bar, and you will have wasted time trying.  However, that time I decide to waste is my decision, not some elitist bunch of snobs who have paid the ABA fees to join the "brotherhood" of the exclusive.

I've taken your bait...but I won't be arguing with you anymore over this.  Your opinion is  your opinion.

If you were so smart, you would have figured out a way to go to law school for free...but I bet you are in debt up to your neck...so who is really the fool?

sharkfish

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2005, 06:30:37 PM »
Mr. Downy

http://www.jdjive.com/read.php?1,36265,36284#msg-36284

"I worked for the court for a while and 3 times I saw "correspondence schools takers" kick the ass of one Boalt Hall lawyers practicing for almost 10 years, one Golden Gate lawyer practicing for almost 3 years and one other lawschool I can't remember except it was ABA."

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2005, 07:11:13 PM »

If we cared what Ivy students or anyone else thought we'd all be buying the most expensive car, house, and wearing designer clothes, too.  But nobody is that stupid to care, and if they do, it is because they are afraid their secret will be exposed:  practicing law simply isn't that hard.  The bar is the great equalizer.  If you should not have been in law school, you won't pass the bar, and you will have wasted time trying.  However, that time I decide to waste is my decision, not some elitist bunch of snobs who have paid the ABA fees to join the "brotherhood" of the exclusive.

I've taken your bait...but I won't be arguing with you anymore over this.  Your opinion is  your opinion.

If you were so smart, you would have figured out a way to go to law school for free...but I bet you are in debt up to your neck...so who is really the fool?

Wow, I post something that is undeniably true in the appropriate forum without being insulting to anyone and I still get flamed.

Now, to address your concerns:

1. Good job attacking the "elitist snobs" of the ABA. I can see that you are good at making coherent arguments without resorting to unfounded and ridiculous generalizations about thousands of people. Also, can you explain how this is at all relevant to the my statement that Concord is looked down on? Also, can you please provide a coherent reason why my statement is not true?

2.In terms of me being a "fool" up to my neck in debt- three responses come to mind. First, I am not up to my neck in debt and attend a lower top twenty because of a decent scholarship. Second, my parents pay for everything so I won't have any debt regardless  ;D. Finally, I will make more money than you when we both graduate, which nullifies any effect of debt (assuming I had any).

Finally, one example of hearsay whereby someone says Concord is good does not mitigate my argument that in general, even if it is good, people look down on it. If you can't handle that don't go there.

Thanks, HTH and pwn3d!

sharkfish

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2005, 12:42:19 AM »
"Second, my parents pay for everything so I won't have any debt regardless "

That explains it all. 

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2005, 01:19:14 AM »
"Second, my parents pay for everything so I won't have any debt regardless "

That explains it all. 

Jealous much?

Prolodoc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2005, 11:47:04 AM »
Any education is the product of what one puts into it.  DL learing is not for everyone. It is mostly for the self starters who do not need a push every once in awhile. I was educated in one of the top residencies in the nation and knew of great students and poor ones who came from this program.  There is no magic formula in learning the law.  Just hard work and study.  You get back what you put into it.  JMHO.  Later, Prolodoc
I saw an adult one time.  I was not impressed.  I refuse to grow up!