Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Concord Law School  (Read 70313 times)

law543

• View Profile
Re: Concord Law School
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2005, 06:20:40 PM »
<<
I suppose I should check out NWCU... >>

I am a 1L at NWCUL and have only praise for the institution. My education has been right on par with my expectations...and I find I am able to hold my own in a local study group amongst ABA 1L evening students. (San Diego).

Here is a link to a firm where a NWCU graduate is employed as an associate:

http://www.chicolaw.com/Bio/DavidGriffith.aspDavid Griffith

Good luck with your decision...whatever you decide.

Law543

law543

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2005, 06:24:25 PM »
You may want to take a look at the archives on my blog at

http://www.dljd.net

I am a Taft student and I like it so far.  I chose Taft partly because they are nationally accredited.

My blog has a lot of stuff.  It is organized chronologically though, so I'd start in Jan 2005 archives, unless you just want to read backwards. :)

Hi,

I have really been enjoying your blog...lots of good helps, information, and fun stuff. In fact, I recently posted a link to a law firm who has a NWCUL graduate...got it from your site.

Great to see you here!

Law543

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2005, 11:38:46 PM »
<<Yes, but will it teach you to use proper punctuation in your sentences?>>

Apparently, your school hasn't taught you manners. Perhaps you require all posts you read to demonstrate perfect punctuation...nobody else is bound by that requirement, however...nor does it indicate an inability to use proper punctuation or grammer.

The poster provided information that is likely to be useful to somebody. Who cares about the punctuation? (besides you, I mean)

Law543

In a profession that judges you on your articulateness, it usually helps to develop a habit of using proper grammar and punctuation.

law543

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2005, 03:56:19 AM »
<<In a profession that judges you on your articulateness, it usually helps to develop a habit of using proper grammar and punctuation.>>

Well, if we were all using our posts here in the forum as potential job applications...your argument would have merit. As it is...we are mostly hear for leisure conversation and friendly exchanges. Besides...it's not as if the poster's punctuation was a major train wreck. He left off a simple punctuation in a post that was probably written in haste...it's primary purpose, to give valuable information in a short amount of time.

Snobbishly snubbing your nose at his grammer instead of being appreciative of the information he was trying to provide, albeit with a punctuation error...says more about you...than him.

Law543

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2005, 02:11:59 PM »
<<In a profession that judges you on your articulateness, it usually helps to develop a habit of using proper grammar and punctuation.>>

Well, if we were all using our posts here in the forum as potential job applications...your argument would have merit. As it is...we are mostly hear for leisure conversation and friendly exchanges. Besides...it's not as if the poster's punctuation was a major train wreck. He left off a simple punctuation in a post that was probably written in haste...it's primary purpose, to give valuable information in a short amount of time.

Snobbishly snubbing your nose at his grammer instead of being appreciative of the information he was trying to provide, albeit with a punctuation error...says more about you...than him.

Law543

The earlier you learn that as a lawyer you are judged in EVERYTHING you do, whether specifically related to law or not, the better off you will be.  The legal profession is one in which you are always scrutinized and your image depends greatly on your ability to act like a knowledgeable professional at all times.  A three-line run-on sentence doesn't exactly meet that goal.

law543

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2005, 07:08:14 PM »
<<The earlier you learn that as a lawyer you are judged in EVERYTHING you do, whether specifically related to law or not, the better off you will be.>>

Oh, lovely...tell me...how should I clean my bathroom in lawerly fashion?

<<The legal profession is one in which you are always scrutinized and your image depends greatly on your ability to act like a knowledgeable professional at all times.>>

That is true only in circumstances where it is appropriate to act like a "knowledgeable professional". When I clean my bathroom....I can sing, dance, whistle, or quote Aristotle if I so choose...I can even do it using bad grammar...and all of this has zero  bearing on whether or not I will be or am a knowledgeable and professional lawyer.

Posting in a leisurely law student's forum does not necessarily have any bearing on whether one is knowledgeable...or professional. Certainly you'd have a better case (not much better) if you could demonstrate the poster's chronic propensity for using  bad punctuation...or exhibiting rude, vulgar, or anti-social behavior (as I think you are doing, actually). Your little zinger was over a post whose primary purpose was to leisurely provide helpful information to other law students...and where the punctuation was hardly a critical issue, even if the punctuation error was big (it wasn't). Only a "grammer police" snoot would scrutinize it as you did...while completely ignoring the helpful information he was trying to provide.

As a corporate professional, daily I encounter emails from colleagues who barely use punctuation at all when communicating back and forth. Whether or not it is annoying to some...or whether or not the advent of digitial communication over the internet is to blame for this phenomenon...is for a different discussion. That it shows a lack of knowledge or professionalism is hardly a reality that has been shown by you...your posts...or by anyone else, for that matter. There is no reason to even think that this is the case, at all.

<<A three-line run-on sentence doesn't exactly meet that goal.>>

Oh, my mistake...I thought you were a law student. Apparently you've not read many judge's opinions, if you believe that run-on sentences indicate a deviation from the goal of showing professionalism or knowledge.

Maybe you should crack the case books a bit more?

Law543

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2005, 07:53:05 PM »
When all else fails, resort to extremism that defies all logic and fails to effectively rebut the point made by your oponent.  ::) I suppose if people routinely scrutinize YOU while you sing in the shower, clean your bathroom, etc., then it would be advisable for you to act professionally. 

I am more inclined to let Cardozo get away with run-on sentences.  When you are a world-renowned legal theorist, run-on sentences are less likely to undercut your credibility.

rooskie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2005, 10:32:03 PM »
Hey Ruskie,

How does one act professionally (like a lawyer) by posting constant sexual anecdotes and telling everyone about how many black men she's slept with? Your sexual escapades on the BLSD thread prove what a miserable hypocrite you are.

Boalt is one of the worst schools in the T-14 and you have mediocre grades at best. HTH

law543

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2005, 11:04:15 PM »
<<When all else fails, resort to extremism that defies all logic and fails to effectively rebut the point made by your oponent.>>

It would be a great argument.....except you don't show *how* what I've said defies all logic, etc, etc. Remember...the best lawyers don't just state conclusions...they show the reasoning that *justifies* a conclusion. You don't need a lawyer or a law student to make unequivocal statements with no justification or reasoning (like you just did). You do, however, need either a lawyer, a law student, or one skilled at making logical and cohesive arguments to justify a conclusion, such as the conclusion you just made.

If you aren't a law student...you should've said as much.

<<I suppose if people routinely scrutinize YOU while you sing in the shower, clean your bathroom, etc., then it would be advisable for you to act professionally.>>

Oh...then you didn't mean it when you said "at all times"? Woops!!

<<I am more inclined to let Cardozo get away with run-on sentences.  When you are a world-renowned legal theorist, run-on sentences are less likely to undercut your credibility.>>

I see. First of all, most of the "run-on-sentences" made by judges...aren't done so by "world-reknowned" judges. Reading your case book would assist you in this common knowledge.

Further...what you mean, then, is that this measuring stick of "professionalism and knowledge" that you arbitrarily created...has arbitrary rules that you govern...which you will obviously mete out at your whim, when convenient to backpedal in an argument. Got it.

Law543

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2005, 11:09:46 PM »
If I wasn't a law student, why would I post here? ::)  Good lawyers also don't make unwarranted assumptions.

Even long-winded judges know to put a period at the end of a sentence.