Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Entering 1L  (Read 9726 times)

heathburke

• View Profile
Entering 1L
« on: June 02, 2003, 10:28:19 AM »
I've finally made a decision and I'll be starting at Fordham this fall. I'm hoping anyone can give me any advice whatsoever about the school or possibly about housing. Does Fordham offer an RA program where law students can live in undergrad housing as an RA ?? I know they did at my undergrad (BC) and I'm curious because I need any financial assistance I can get. I'm also wondering if someone can tell me whether the classes at Fordham are primarily taught in the socratic method or lecture style. I know certain schools have their own overall ideology and I'm curious to know what Fordham's is. If anyone has anything they can tell me that would be helpful, I would really appreciate it, or if anyone is going to Fordham this fall and would like to share concerns, I have many, and would love to talk.

suzi517

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Entering 1L
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 07:42:19 PM »
Hey just read your post...I'm a completely lost gal from california trying to figure out how the hell I'm going to relocate to New York! So I share your need for just having someone to be lost with. The addmissions people dont seem to be to helpful...think thats a bad sign? I think for your question about RA housing, you should just contact the housing office directly, you can find their number on the fordham undergrad site. Any other ideas as to where you may live if the RA thing doenst work out? Lemme tell ya trying to find a place from all the way in california is a real female dog! Well lemme know if theres anything else on your mind!
suz

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 08:52:19 PM »
I've finally made a decision and I'll be starting at Fordham this fall. I'm hoping anyone can give me any advice whatsoever about the school or possibly about housing. Does Fordham offer an RA program where law students can live in undergrad housing as an RA ?? I know they did at my undergrad (BC) and I'm curious because I need any financial assistance I can get. I'm also wondering if someone can tell me whether the classes at Fordham are primarily taught in the socratic method or lecture style. I know certain schools have their own overall ideology and I'm curious to know what Fordham's is. If anyone has anything they can tell me that would be helpful, I would really appreciate it, or if anyone is going to Fordham this fall and would like to share concerns, I have many, and would love to talk.

I was an RA in undergrad and I wouldn't recommend that anyone take on that commitment while attending a professional degree program.  If you were getting a master's in excercise science, it would be a different story, but being an RA takes up a great deal of time.  And, depending on the requirements of the job at Fordham, you may go over the 20 hours that the ABA actually allows you to work.  Also, not all RA's get free housing.  We didn't -- we only got a check for about 400 bucks a month.

nonamesleftforme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 12:13:50 PM »
I went to Fordham for undergrad and graduate school and was an RA for two years.  If you're intersested in being an RA, that might be difficult as the decisions regarding the fall staff have already been made (as a matter of fact, a close friend of mine is going to the RA for the law students next year).  But you may want to call anyway and put yourself on the list becuase people sometimes change their minds over the summer.

In regards to other housing options, I know that the law school has law student housing that will most likely be much more affordable then renting your own apartment.  As you can imagine, this is a popular option, so I would try to get myself on the list ASAP.

Finally, in reference to the admissions office not being very helpful, you're going to have to suck it up and get used to it.  In my years at Fordham I was hard pressed to find anyone in any administrative office that was helpful or wanted to give you more than the time of day.  You'll definatley be gripping about this with your fellow students for three years!

But congratulations on your acceptance to Fordham.  It's a fantastic law school.  Best of luck to you and I hope you enjoy NYC.

glascow1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 02:28:02 PM »
craigslist.com
and any broker with a website who can show you pictures and all info on apartments via internet without you having to visit....

but if you can take a week vacation and line up a truck load of viewings for that week in manhattan it could be less of a gamble looking for an apartment...

Since July is around the corner (literally) and depending how far you are from NYC you should take a week off and literally scout the areas you feel most comfortable.
Fordham Law 2008

suzi517

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 06:28:07 PM »
Does anyone hava any idea how health insurance work at Fordham law?? Again found the Admissions folks to be less than helpful... Geez if we have to pay for separate insurance, doesnt that eat up about all our living expense money per month?? HELP!

nonamesleftforme

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 07:31:43 PM »
Fordham offers health insurance that runs about 1,200 a year.  You should call the health center at the LC campus.  (Note: at Fordham, going to the direct office instead of through Admissions will save you mucho time.  You can find their number online)  Instead of paying for health insurance monthly, just take out an extra 1,200 out in loans...that's how most law students at my school pay for it.  However, if you don't think you need it or want it for some reason, you can use the health center for minor things, but if they have to send you to the ER, then you'll be left with a huge bill.  Plus, being in the Jesuit Catholic tradition, Fordham does not prescribe contraceptives, nor do they refer you to places such as Planned Parenthood that can help you out if need be.  Bottom line, try to get the health insurance plan they offer--they've got everything you may need.

Does anyone hava any idea how health insurance work at Fordham law?? Again found the Admissions folks to be less than helpful... Geez if we have to pay for separate insurance, doesnt that eat up about all our living expense money per month?? HELP!

suzi517

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 12:45:36 PM »
You're an angel, thank you so much. So just to clarify the Fordham health center will provide minor help for say like a uti (ouch those hurt) but in order to have birth control I should get the extended $1200 plan?? I plan on getting it anyway I just wanted to make sure birth control would be covered...hope that doesnt make me sound awful?? but again thanks for the input!

Second question... so when applying for loans, when the lender goes to verify my COA will Forham add on the $1200 to the COA??

thanks for any input!

Fordham offers health insurance that runs about 1,200 a year.  You should call the health center at the LC campus.  (Note: at Fordham, going to the direct office instead of through Admissions will save you mucho time.  You can find their number online)  Instead of paying for health insurance monthly, just take out an extra 1,200 out in loans...that's how most law students at my school pay for it.  However, if you don't think you need it or want it for some reason, you can use the health center for minor things, but if they have to send you to the ER, then you'll be left with a huge bill.  Plus, being in the Jesuit Catholic tradition, Fordham does not prescribe contraceptives, nor do they refer you to places such as Planned Parenthood that can help you out if need be.  Bottom line, try to get the health insurance plan they offer--they've got everything you may need.

nonamesleftforme

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 01:31:30 PM »
Yes, Fordham can help you with minor problems like UTIs or colds, etc.  You should get the extended plan, not just for BC but also for emergency situations or if you need surgery or something.  And it doesn't make you awful to want birth control...you're an adult and should takes all necessary steps to protect yourself from unwanted pregnancy and STDs. 

In regards to the loans, look at the break-down of the loan you take out.  Part of it will go to pay for school, and then there will be additional break-downs for housing expensese, books, and personal expenses.  There will probably be plenty of $$ for personal expenses, so just use part of that chunk to pay for your health insurance.  Also keep in mind that you probably do not have to pay out the 1,200 in one lump sum. You can set up a monthly payment plan to make it easier.  This should answer your second question as well.  The best thing to do is sit down and do a personal break-down of your living expenses, tacking on an additional $100 a month (give or take) for health insurance.  Then compare that to Fordham's allotment of personal expenses.

Also keep in mind that during orientation they will probably have a representative come from the insurance company to inform law students about the plan.  But it's good to get an early idea.

Best of luck to you!

glascow1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 05:57:31 PM »
I be;ieve health insurance is included in the 3K they have alotted for personal fees/expenses.
also...i thought signing up for some health insurance was a requirement to attend Fordham - I know some schools wont let you completely rgister unless you have some insurance- i thought fordham was like that.
Fordham Law 2008