Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How's CUNY, anyway?  (Read 10153 times)

catamount6178

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How's CUNY, anyway?
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 10:54:44 AM »
I read "Law School Confidential," and it was a good read. Definately some useful information, as well as some not-so-useful information. I feel that, right now, I need to focus on preparing my mind to study, since I have been out of college for about 4 years now.

I'll probably pick up "Planet Law School" this weekend- thanks for the tip.  ;)
Are your maladjusted, antisocial tendencies a product of your berserk pituitary gland?

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 11:23:49 AM »
Yeah, I have Law School Confidential...but, I felt that Planet Law School went more in depth.  I didnt feel like LSC gave me any info that I couldnt have gotten by reading these boards...

Yeah, preparing your mind to study is the big thing...just getting back into the habit of doing intellectual work for 12+ hours a day is grueling! It's just a tremendous amount of reading really difficult material.

I wish we could get our class schedules now... and, can I just say that I hate that CUNY is 5 days a week! Many other schools are only M-Th, but CUNY's schedule is set up to be M-F (w/ Friday being like 3 or 4 hrs..).  It sucks considering that so many students have long commutes.

catamount6178

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 11:45:21 AM »
I wasn't aware that other schools were only Mon-Thurs. For me, after working Mon-Fri for the past 4 years, a short Friday will be a relief. Besides, I think if I had Fridays off I might be more inclined to slack- I need a tight schedule to keep myself in line!

I just talked to Admissions regarding the Summer Law Institute- the woman who I spoke to believes that students are notified about their enrollment in the program when they recieve their admission letter, but she couldn't say for sure. She transferred me to David (last name something like 'Nedvorny' or something) who is responsible for the institute, and I left him a voicemail. I will keep you posted.
Are your maladjusted, antisocial tendencies a product of your berserk pituitary gland?

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 11:51:33 AM »
Yeah, lots of schools are only MOn-Thurs and then you have Friday to study all day.  I've been working for the last 10 years (AND going to school all that time too, lol) and so it's not that I dont want a 5day week...but, just that if it was only 4 days then that'd cut a significant amount of travel time out for me and I could spend all day Friday studying.

Instead, it'll be 5 days of commuting and classes, plus 2 weekend days of studying.

The last I heard about Summer Institute was from David, that they were awaiting funding for it. It is by invite-only (b/c it's for student they think "need" it) and last year I was invited (probalby b/c of my poor GPA from when I frist went to college 10 years ago) and I wanted to make sure I was invited this year too...since I deferred, they might not have looked at my app.  I wrote David ysterday, so we'll see. Let me know if you hear, and I'll do the same.

catamount6178

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 01:17:11 PM »
I just spoke to David- he said that they will be sending out the paperwork in the next few weeks outlining the criteria.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 11:30:25 PM »
Great!  Cool...guess that means they got the funding they needed.

Now I have to check - AGAIN - with the school about my address, b/c I didnt get the academic calendar yet which means they're probably sending to the old one.

Err.

catamount27

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 07:45:06 AM »
Yes- unfortunately you may have to get used to administrative disorganization at CUNY, from what I've heard.

catamount6178

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 09:27:14 AM »
Let's carry on this conversation in the other thread- trying to get as many CUNY folks chatting as possible.  ;D

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,60115.0.html