Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How's CUNY, anyway?  (Read 10085 times)

Dan Bodah

How's CUNY, anyway?
« on: September 29, 2002, 08:08:57 AM »
I'm applying to law schools for fall 2003 and planning a career in public interest law.  Anyone with experience at CUNY care to offer insights about the place?  I want something more than the brochures offer.  I'm also concerned about the low rankings and low first time bar passage rate, but love the anti-elitist attitude and committment to public interest...plus the price is unbeatable.  Anyone?

amba

• View Profile
Re: How's CUNY, anyway?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 08:03:50 AM »
CUNY is very diverse, in terms of both its students and faculty. The faculty mirrors students' diversity of ethnicity and experience. There may be semesters when only one of your professors is a white male, for example, with three out of five being lesbian. Students describe their professors as brilliant, committed, and on the cutting edge of liberal law. On top of that, students, professors, and administrators get to know each other on a first-name basis and have real, one-on-one interaction.

catamount6178

• View Profile
    • Email
CUNY!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 03:57:38 PM »
I will be sending my seat deposit next week. Anyone else on board?
Are your maladjusted, antisocial tendencies a product of your berserk pituitary gland?

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 11:26:16 AM »
I'll be seein' ya this fall too!

catamount6178

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 12:08:19 PM »
Awesome! I'm really looking forward to it. I'll be moving to Queens in June. Where are you from?
Are your maladjusted, antisocial tendencies a product of your berserk pituitary gland?

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 06:07:28 PM »
I'm originally from Kansas, but have been in the NYC area for 7 years. I lived in Brooklyn for 3.5 years, then I moved to Montclair,NJ and lived there for 2 1/2...I liked it a lot (it's very progressive and artsy), but wanted to be a bit closer to the city so I moved (and currently live) in Jersey City on the waterfront. It takes me about 8 minutes to get from Path - to work, which is nice!

It'll take me 60-80 minutes to drive to Flushing... We considered moving to NYC, but my gf works (as a lawyer) here in NJ and her commute would be impossible. And, we really like it here in JC.

So, that's my story...are you looking forward to NYC life?  I see you're moving down here in June - do you have plans for the summer? 

Are you working during school?  What are your interests in terms of clinics, focus, etc?

How "prepared" do you feel?

I'm nosey, LOL.

catamount27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 07:17:08 PM »
I feel relatively "prepared," but I think I only experience will fully prepare me. I am quite excited about moving to NYC; I will probably be working for June and July. Living in New York will be a certain change, but definately a welcome one.

As far as clinics/concentrations, I am interested in health law. I have been talking to Paula Berg who is oversees the health law clinics. You?

What do you know about the Summer Law Institute?

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 11:27:14 PM »
I saw in on Berg's class when I visited last year...she seemed like a cool prof. She wasn't ultra socratic. Afterwards, she came and found me in the lunch room and talked a lot more. Very nice.

I'm not sure what my interest is exactly...women's rights, lgbt rights, etc.

I feel somewhat prepared...been reading primers. My partner just graduated law school a couple of months ago, so I went through that whole experience with her and kinda know the lingo and the routine, at least. So, it's not totally foreign and I know that to expect insanity, LOL.

catamount6178

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 08:19:37 AM »
What kinds of "primers" have you been reading? I'll take any help I can get!

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 10:18:58 AM »
Have you read Planet Law School II?  I got that (it was cheap) and read it...it's a big book, but I finished in a couple of days b/c I skipped several sections. The guy clearly has an obsession that borders on paranoia when it comes to thinking law professors are "out to get you"....but, he does bring up some interesting things and goes through some cases, etc to teach you "how to think like a lawyer."  It was a fun read (you have to laugh at his obsession sometimes!)...in it, he gives a list of several primers you can read to get yourself familiar with the language and the black letter law. The Aspen Primers are pretty good...you can get 'em on Amazon or Ebay or Half.com.  They really break down each area of the law and give you all the elements, hypoethicals, etc.   

I recommend those for people who really dont know much about what law school will be like...they sorta give you a heads up, so you're not so shocked. Like I said, I went through this whole process with my girlfriend and she went into it not knowing much at all about law school and so it was a huge shock to her and very, very stressful.  It'll be stressful for me too, but I at least feel like I know what to expect and that right there helps.  Plus, I've always taken an interest in what she was studying, etc so I'm familiar with a lot of the legal principles jsut from her talking about the cases and me asking questions.  I guess those things just make me feel a little less anxious in terms of not knowing what to expect - so at least now I can just focus on actually cramming my brain full of all that stuff!!   So, I recommend a book like Planet Law School just so you can get a "feel" for what to expect and how it "works."