Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Welcome Class of 2005  (Read 4801 times)

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Welcome Class of 2005
« on: July 17, 2002, 03:25:11 PM »
I just wanted to say welcome to the new 1Ls.  I was in your shoes last year.  What do you want to know about BU?

Nathan Howell

Re: Welcome Class of 2005
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2002, 12:48:32 PM »
What the technology like? Are all the classrooms laptop ready? i.e. does every seat have an outlet?

Mike

Outlets
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2002, 07:12:34 PM »
All seats have outlets so you will have no problem (at least in the first year classrooms).

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2002, 05:10:02 PM »
Plus there's wireless internet access in the building - which means you can get online and read the ny times and what not during class.

Ponder this when choosing seats (usually not determined the first day) - everyone behind you will be able to see your computer screen.

gids

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2002, 06:32:44 AM »
hi andrew, i few people in school told me buying casebooks is a waste of time and space. since only a part of the book is covered, it is just as good to photocopy the materials from a library book. whats your take on this? thanks.

Mike

Casebooks
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2002, 12:42:34 PM »
As Andrew's friend and a second year BU law student as well I feel qualified to answer this one.  I would buy the books.  If you don't you'll be the only one without it.  For your year-long courses, you will use the entire book. (So unless you want to copy over 1000 pages, then buy it).  I would say for semester courses you will use 750 pages at least of the book.  I do not know one person who did not own the book. Plus you don't want to be wasting precious study time photocopying pages...mike

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2002, 12:50:06 PM »
I agree completely, except for the part about Mike being my friend (ohhhh...  just kidding)

Technically most of the casebook is available from the books and online (once you get your lexis and westlaw passwords - not right away).  I would definitly get the casebooks though...

1) they are edited - you don't have to read every line of every case
2) they have notes after the cases - often required and discussed in class
3) many professors follow them - so they're useful in understanding the course as a whole
4) they are oh so nice looking

If anyone is looking for some used casebooks... I have a couple.  Assuming no new editions...

Crim with Lawrence
Torts with Hylton
Contracts with Pettit
Constitutional with pretty much anyone (they all use the same book)
Writing class with anyone (all the same books)
Property with Lawson
Civ Pro with... well Hathaway left, but its the red civ pro book
etc.

Let me know if anyone is interested.  I've got a lot of these listed on half.com under ajsinclair2 and ajsinclair, but I'd just as soon sell them locally and save the shipping / commisions.

gids

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2002, 01:07:39 PM »
thanks for the info guys. i guess i will get the books. i will get to bu next week and when i find out my classes i would like to buy your used ones if the editions are the same. i'll contact you when i know more. thanks again.

The_Wanderer

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2002, 04:16:48 PM »
Hello everyone! I'd like to ask about dress during the first day of orientation. The material says that the picture taken of you that day is sometimes sent to employers, so you should dress appropriately. At first I thought that simply meant avoiding anything too loud that might make you look silly to an employer. But another letter said that you should dress "more formally". What should I take that to mean? Would Khakis and a polo or other decent shirt be alright, or do I need to wear a shirt and tie? Or even, "shudder", a full business suit? I assume not but I'd like to know what people did last year. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

lalitha

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2002, 07:01:40 PM »
2 things:  if you know anyone else who has used books i'm interested (if they work out for me and are the right editions) and also if you know anyone who is selling used furniture please let me know.  i'm moving up to boston from texas so i'm just looking for stuff up there...my move-in date is sept 1st.  see you guys in a few weeks  :)