Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Computer Stuff  (Read 4858 times)

ewdowney

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Computer Stuff
« on: August 06, 2002, 11:09:26 AM »
Two questions:

1. Does anyone use a Mac? I know the official answer is that they aren't supported by the law school's techies, and that I ought not to buy one, but what's the real deal? I am PC literate from various jobs, but the idea of buying one for my own use is absolutely repugnant to me.

2. I am replacing my current printer. Should I buy a low-end laser or a high-end inkjet? I was leaning toward the laser printer.

Thanks for any advice and see y'all in a couple of weeks.

Liz

whutwhut

Re: Computer Stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2002, 01:08:53 PM »
Although the school explicitly states that macs are not supported, it is still feasible to own and use one for law school.  Documents are perfectly compatible, as are most mainstream programs.  You can use the tower's wireless network if you purchase an Airport card.  You can set up VPN on the mac as well if you need to use it.  Also, BU's computer store is a warranty center for Apple, so you can drop it off and they will take care of any (rare) problems.    

whutwhut

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2002, 01:22:53 PM »
Oh yea...about the printer:

Laser printers are more volume and quality intensive machines, designed for a consistent output of about 200-300 pages a day for low end lasers.  These can cost you about $400-500 bucks.  A $200 inkjet would be more than enough to satisfy academic needs such as printing out assignments, papers, etc.

whutwhut

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2002, 01:29:30 PM »
Oh yea...about the printer:

Laser printers are more volume and quality intensive machines, designed for a consistent output of about 200-300 pages a day for low end lasers.  These can cost you about $300-400 bucks.  A $200 inkjet would be more than enough to satisfy academic needs such as printing out assignments, papers, etc.

nickmo

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2002, 06:13:22 AM »
hey liz, glad to hear there will be at least one other mac user there.... i couldn't bring myself to get a PC either.... My new powerbook is on its way from BU's computer store, they have the best prices (better than apple's educational discount even)

i talked to some tech guy at some point who told me that as long as you are running 10.1 or higher, you are good to go as far as networking goes.

ewdowney

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2002, 07:34:11 AM »
hey nickmo-

like you, i am glad to hear that i am not the only one who will be sitting in class with a mac. i haven't upgraded to OS X yet- waiting for 'jaguar' to come out. i am a bit 'techier' than my initial question made me sound and actually set up a LAN with my 4 PC-using housemates in college, so i am sure that networking won't be a problem, especially if you're using system 10.

see you in a couple of weeks- apparently, you'll know me by my powerbook.

also, my parents and i are entirely wireless at home and if you've not already gottten one, an airport base station is well worth the investment. they're incredibly easy to use.

liz

nick morinigo

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2002, 07:58:06 AM »
yes, our house at school had an airport and it was SO nice to have wireless... when i move into our new place getting a wireless access point is one of our first things to do... jaguar will be awesome in a couple of weeks, though i am still entertained by the aqua GUI right now. :)

RS Phillips

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 03:29:31 AM »
Bottom line as far as macs for law school are concerned: Unless you are required to take exams on your laptop, there will be no compatibility issue.  Any Airport Extreme equipped Apple laptop will be able to get onto your school's network without problems, whether they are officially "supported" or not by the IT people.  OS X is also more than capable of interacting with files created on Windows machines.

The issue with exam software is simply that the software is designed to lock you out of your computer for the duration of the exam so that you cannot access other information and/or programs on your computer.  The reason this won't work with Virtual PC is that the locking out the emulator does not lock out OS X, meaning the exam software's security features are meaningless.  Unless you are dead set on typing your exams, and bear in mind that such software is known to be unstable at times (I believe it was Georgetown or George Washington that has announced they will cease using the software altogether because of such concerns), it is quite silly to abandon your computer of choice solely to run one app.

Most of us survived our undergrad days writing out exams by hand without any ill effects.

lawstu

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 04:32:54 PM »
The fact remains that ExamSoft is not compatable with macs, even if you have virtual PC.

So the bottom line comes down to whether or not you want to type your exams.  While, indeed, we all survived undergraduate exams, law school exams are by no means comparable.  The exams are 3-4 hours of nonstop essay.  If you can type it out, you will undoubtedly be able to write probably twice as much as if you were writing it.  Considering that one never has enough time to answer the questions as fully as one would like, why put yourself at another disadvantage by slowly writing your answers.  AND, if you decide you want to add/delete/change something in your essay, it's just like a word processing program where you can move things around.  So when looking at the bottom line - is getting a PC worth it?  Considering that these exams constitute your entire law school grades, and arguably your employment prospects, I think it would be foolish to stick with a computer that won't help you along your way.  All things in perspective, the money spent on a computer is a drop in the bucket compared to what you're spending on your education.  Suck it up and get the PC.