School Specific Boards > Boston U

Computer Stuff

(1/2) > >>

ewdowney:
Two questions:

1. Does anyone use a Mac? I know the official answer is that they aren't supported by the law school's techies, and that I ought not to buy one, but what's the real deal? I am PC literate from various jobs, but the idea of buying one for my own use is absolutely repugnant to me.

2. I am replacing my current printer. Should I buy a low-end laser or a high-end inkjet? I was leaning toward the laser printer.

Thanks for any advice and see y'all in a couple of weeks.

Liz

whutwhut:
Although the school explicitly states that macs are not supported, it is still feasible to own and use one for law school.  Documents are perfectly compatible, as are most mainstream programs.  You can use the tower's wireless network if you purchase an Airport card.  You can set up VPN on the mac as well if you need to use it.  Also, BU's computer store is a warranty center for Apple, so you can drop it off and they will take care of any (rare) problems.    

whutwhut:
Oh yea...about the printer:

Laser printers are more volume and quality intensive machines, designed for a consistent output of about 200-300 pages a day for low end lasers.  These can cost you about $400-500 bucks.  A $200 inkjet would be more than enough to satisfy academic needs such as printing out assignments, papers, etc.

whutwhut:
Oh yea...about the printer:

Laser printers are more volume and quality intensive machines, designed for a consistent output of about 200-300 pages a day for low end lasers.  These can cost you about $300-400 bucks.  A $200 inkjet would be more than enough to satisfy academic needs such as printing out assignments, papers, etc.

nickmo:
hey liz, glad to hear there will be at least one other mac user there.... i couldn't bring myself to get a PC either.... My new powerbook is on its way from BU's computer store, they have the best prices (better than apple's educational discount even)

i talked to some tech guy at some point who told me that as long as you are running 10.1 or higher, you are good to go as far as networking goes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version