Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tell me about BU  (Read 14921 times)

josh

Tell me about BU
« on: February 26, 2003, 03:30:31 AM »
Ok, so I'm a EE major graduating here at Illinois, and I'm trying to choose between BU and WashU, as well as some other schools I haven't heard from yet. As you could probably expect, I'm on the IP route.

How difficult will it be for me to get a job for my 1L summer?

Assuming I take out the $130K in loans, is the law degree worth it? I figure it's hard to get into law school now, the market will be bloated in 3 years as well.

What are BU students like? Professors? Anything beyond the standard "great professors, easygoing students" that is always stated?

Any other advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: Tell me about BU
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2003, 01:26:04 PM »
Finding a summer job as a 1L is definitly not easy.  I found out today that the place I worked at last summer (a legal services center) is already wait-listing people (btw - they don't pay).  A lot of people work as research assistants for faculty, but they don't get paid much.

With regard to demand for patent attorneys, the impression that I get is that you can land a job at a big firm your second summer as long as you're above average in your class (as opposed to the rest of us without a science or engineering degree - it seems about 20% got big firm jobs).

I think it's especially hard to get into law school right now, but I wouldn't expect the sour economy to remain bad for 3+ years.  It shouldn't be AS competitive in future years.

I don't know what I would say about BU students in general.  There are all kinds of people and nothing that stands out as being abnormal (for law students).  For the most part people are friendly, helpful, and quiet about grades and jobs (sometimes annoyingly so - I don't think it's inappropriate to ask "how'd the interview go?" but others disagree).

The professors have mixed personalities.  Some entertain (sing in class, act strangely to the point where it becomes funny), some give students a tough time, some are clear about the law, some prefer to talk about the policy implications of decisions.  All are brilliant.  Most explain / teach very well.

The building is ugly.  The elevators don't work well.  The 1L classrooms are very nice.  Other classrooms are older.  There is a wireless network, great views, and good location (relative to places you might want to go in boston: downtown, allston, back bay, etc.)

What else do you want to know?

Josh

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 11:36:12 AM »
Well, what happens to those in the bottom half of the class? I mean, I figure I have at least a 50/50 shot at that, so might as well prepare for the possibility.

Additionally, one thing that was appealing about BU was that it seemed to have stronger national placement than its peers (Illinois, WashU, UWash, Fordham, etc). Any truth to that, or is it pretty much east coast without connections elsewhere?

What about living in Boston? I've never been there, so I really don't have a clue, other than a fear that it's so expensive I'll be living in a closet eating Ramen for 3 years.

Thanks for the info.

bu 1l

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 11:00:16 AM »
if youre planning on being in the bottom half of the class, dont come. seriously. not just to bu, but to law school at all. unless maybe you just like to learn, thats cool i guess.

actually, unless youre pretty abnormal, i wouldnt recommend law skool for anyone. takes a special breed. and not necessarily a good one. it takes a lot of mental stamina to soak in all the good learning *&^% they give you - - and not become one of "them"... these tool-ass arrogant law school whiny fuckers. 75% of people here are punks. but thats not bu, thats law school in general.

the profs are great though.

Nate

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 09:33:28 PM »
My opinion of BU as a 2002 graduate...

The clinical programs are outstanding.  The teachers are very good for the most part.  But here's the kicker...

The career development office is abysmal.  If you are in the top 25% of the class and want to work at a big firm in NYC or Boston, the career office will help.  Otherwise, you are on your own.  I am trying to get a job in SoCal and I have been unemployed since graduating in May of last year.  Unfortunately, I am not alone.  Only about 1/2 of last year's grad class had jobs at graduation, and I know of many like me who are still unemployed even now.  Academically, I was right at about the median point, fyi.

bostonsmartass

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2003, 07:54:03 AM »
I just finished my 1L year at BU, and I am very satisfied. I'm a little sick of people shitting on the CDO here. I think they do their best to find jobs for everyone. It's just a really tough time for lawyers, especially in Boston where several major firms have gone unmentionables-up and many others are cutting back. You also have to consider that Boston has 6 law schools, and BU is the 3rd best. If a firm has Harvard and BC grads banging down thier door, there's no reason to hire BU grads. BU does place pretty well in NYC, and very well around New England in smaller markets (I've heard).

Teachers are mostly excellent, and somewhat excentric (like all law profs). The building sucks, but not so much that it impacts your studies.

Summer jobs are tough to come by. I am working as a RA for a prof (part time), and I have pretty good grades. I know a lot of my colleagues are still looking for work, and have a few friends who will be bartending this summer. That said, I know the economy will recover, and I've talked to some attorneys who say work is picking up, and the market for attorneys will soon follow.

I personally would not take out 130K in loans for a law degree, unless it was at a top-14 school (and maybe not even then). I was lucky enough to get some bling-bling scholarship cizzash. It really depends on what you want to do with your degree. If you want to work in BigLaw, and think you can handle the hours and stress without going insane and killing yourself, then maybe 130K in loans is no big deal. But if you're not sure, and you get up to your ass in debt, you're choice is made for you.

Rambling... BU is an awesome school, but go to school in the city where you want to work, unless you can get into a national school like Princeton, Dartmoth, or Brown.

mt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2003, 12:50:59 PM »
I basically agree w/ what's been said above.  I also finished my first year at BU and enjoyed my experience.  I am taking out about 120K in loans for my law degree and I think it's worth it.  But bostonsmartass is right.  It depends.  

btw, get used to hearing that as law professors typically answer questions with their own questions or with the initial caveat, "It depends."  

Prior to attending law school, I worked at a finance firm in NYC for two years, where I was your typical overworked, overpaid Ivy League analyst.  My work experience provided me with some valuable perspective, and I can say that I'm happier today than I was at this time last year.  

Getting a *paying* legal job for your first summer will be difficult.  It takes a great deal of time and hard work to get one.  If you're thinking of attending law school in the Fall, be sure to maintain your networking contacts now.  Let your mentor-professor-future references know about your plans so that when you contact them later, they won't be so surprised.  All you need is a short note telling them that you're planning to attend X law school, and thank them for their encouragement and support.  That's it.  Two sentences.  

A thick skin will help, too.  Thirty-some-odd rejection letters later, I was *lucky* to get an interview from a prestigious law firm's Boston office.  Then lightning struck twice, and I got the job.

Good luck to you.

ckiyan

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2003, 12:43:21 PM »
"""BU is an awesome school, but go to school in the city where you want to work, unless you can get into a national school like Princeton, Dartmoth, or Brown.  """

I wasn't aware that these schools had law programs.?!>!?>!?>!!!?!?!?

bostonsmartass

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2003, 04:49:13 PM »
Wow. I sure hope you were being counter-ironic...

Step 1: re-read my screen name.
Step 2: re-read my post.
Step 3: re-think law school.

yale05

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 01:14:53 PM »
Bump