Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: More About BU  (Read 1715 times)

Matthew Fogarty

More About BU
« on: March 12, 2003, 12:34:04 PM »
Hi, right now my decision on where to go next year is between BU and Emory (I'm still waiting on USC).  How would you compare the two schools (and what about USC)?  Have you found a lot of people looking to transfer after the first year at BU?  What can you tell me about BU that is important to know but that the designated "student ambassadors" from the admissions office won't say?  Thanks for your help!

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: More About BU
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 10:41:17 AM »
I have no idea what Emory or USC are like.  Those be in drivin' cities - I hate driving.

As far as transferring goes, there were a couple people that transfered out last year.  It's pretty much pointless to transfer though, because the schools above BU aren't going to get you much futher.  To teach, you're probably going to need to go to Yale, Harvard, or Princeton.  It's doubtful you'd get into those from BU even if you were #1 in the class (otherwise you'd have gotten in in the first place, or at least gotten into somewhere a little more competitive - they still look at your LSAT and what not).  For other jobs, it's not going to make that much of a difference to go to a slightly better school.  If you did well enough to transfer to a better school, you're probably in a fine position to get a good job based on your first year grades.  If you transfer, you gain nothing, but you'll have to move away from your new friends and you might not be able to be on a journal.  There's really no point - but yes, you can transfer from BU and maybe even to someplace better.

Who are the "student ambassoadors"?  Are they current students?  If so they'll probably tell you anything you want to know.  I don't think people get paid for those tours.  (We do get paid for calling people.)  In any case, no one really has much to gain by witholding anything about the school (unless the Dean is standing right there).  They'll tell it like it is.

josh

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2003, 12:51:20 PM »
I got waitlisted by Princeton Law.

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 07:34:01 AM »
Sorry - meant Stanford.  I got waitlisted at Princeton Law too.  ;)

bostonsmartass

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2003, 08:08:26 AM »
If you want to live in the SE, go to Emory. If you want to live in the NE, go to BU. If you want to live on the west coast, go to USC. It's pretty simple, really. These mid-top-tier schools don't place very well nationally, but place really pretty regionally. I know of no one who is planning on transferring, and I don't know why anyone would, unless it was to a top-14 school, and even then, everything Andrew said is totally true: if you have the grades to transfer, you don't need to transfer to get a good job.

spongebob

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 09:24:57 PM »
princeton doesn't have a law school