Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Welcome 1Ls!  (Read 2929 times)

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: Welcome 1Ls!
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2003, 06:50:47 AM »
I don't have any numbers regarding 2L summer employment.  I'd say that most people do have paying jobs - but not those fancy "Summer Associate" jobs.  A lot of people are relying on smaller firms, government, public interest, and anywhere they have a connection (uncle's firm or whatever).

That's not to say that people aren't getting big firm jobs - a lot of people are.  Probably 30% or more (this is just based on asking around - no numbers).  I'm under the impression that the number was a lot higher when times were good though.

Still - there are those (myself included) that just had really bad luck this year.  I have two part-time jobs, only one of which is paid.  How do I afford my rent?  I don't.  I'm borrowing from my dad this summer.  It's only a couple grand - not a big deal when you consider that you're spending about a grand a week just to go to class during the school year.  (Plus my dad gives me 0% percent interest.)

With a little luck - and perhaps a new president, there should be many more options by the time this year's class reaches the second year.

josh

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2003, 09:39:14 AM »
Nothing stimulates an economy like higher taxes for government subsidies.

That said, I was fortunate to get off a waitlist at a school where the rent is about half as much. So, no worries here, but thanks to everyone who gave input.

waiting

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2003, 09:27:14 AM »
Any suggestions for preparing this summer?  I was told by several law professors at UCLA to relax and read for pleasure.  Well, I am finished with that task and am ready to explode in anticipation.  

I considered a pre-1l "boot camp" but was warned by its alum that it was a total waste of $1000.  So I picked up a copy of Law School Confidential to make me feel as though I wasn't about to completely waste the summer.  Is the book a good resource???

Thanks

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2003, 11:32:01 AM »
I didn't read that one so I don't know.  Generally the advice is true - there's nothing you can do to prepare.  That depends a little bit on your education though.  I studied philosophy and communication in college - and honestly I had no clue how the court system or administrative agencies were set up.  I didn't even know who was on the Supreme court.  (Philosophy helped in crim though - "Utilitarianism?" seen that before...)

So if you're like I was, I would recommend getting some basic knowledge of politics and law.  That "American Courts" book listed on the pre-law books page is a great introduction to the courts (boring though).  We had to read it in my Civ Pro class - but the professor I had left BU, so I don't know if anyone is using it anymore.  Farnsworth had his students read A Civil Action and pick up the [link=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/158778422X/lawschooldisc-20]companion guide[/link] to all the documents.  That might be a good intro.

[link=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0226474089/lawschooldisc-20]Introduction to Legal Reasoning[/link] is another one I'd recommend.  It's a classic.