Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Welcome 1Ls!  (Read 2925 times)

rhonda

• View Profile
Welcome 1Ls!
« on: June 16, 2003, 06:59:11 PM »
I just graduated from BUSL and would love to answer any questions you may have as you get ready to start in the fall!  I tell you all about the professors  (at least the ones I had...), organizations and events, the BU-tiful building, study tips, etc.  I promise to tell it like it is!

bu2b

Re: Welcome 1Ls!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 04:08:27 PM »
Hi,

I am most likely going to BU in the fall, still wavering between schools. Can you share your experience at BU, interms of academics and the social atmosphere? I am also worried about employment after reading the posts from BU students. After all I applied to BU because of the belief, supported by their statistics, that I can land a good paying job after I graduate. Are you happy with your choice to attend BU? How has your degree been regarded by employers?

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 07:28:59 PM »
I hope it's not my employment comments that are making you think twice about BU.  While the job market certainly does suck, I don't think it's a BU thing at all - its just the job market - it'd be the same at any school.

rhonda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 07:53:25 PM »
I agree with Andrew.  The statistics you read in the rankings are for the class one year ahead of me... that is four years ahead of you.  The economy can change a lot in one year.  The problems created by the economy are not school specific either... you are going to find the same problems no matter where you go to school.  Maybe consider where, geographically, you think you are marketable or would like to settle and pick a school based on their influence in that region.

That said, BU is a great school if you plan to stay in Boston, New England, or go to NYC.  Lots of firms recruit at BU in the fall and the alumni base is well represented.  

josh

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2003, 04:19:12 PM »
Ok, here's a question:

Since most don't get paying summer gigs as a 1L (and some not as a 2L), how does one pay the rent? I mean, Boston ain't cheap, and waiting tables doesn't look like it would pay the bills.

rhonda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 01:53:41 PM »
I suggest plasma donation.  

Seriously, the law job market is no different from any other.  You take your chances and hope that a job comes along *before* the loan collection agents do.  Don't expect anyone to hand you a job.  Plan ahead.  Work hard.  Take a risk!  

josh

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 07:02:21 PM »
That's an awfully chummy and non-specific answer. Thanks for the info.

akidinthevillage

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2003, 11:23:08 AM »
A more specific, albeit less chummy, answer:

1.  Around 40-50 people get public interest grants of $3,500 for the summer, which isn't alot but is enough to pay the rent.  
2. There is also are a sizable block of people who work for professors, at around $7/hour.  
3. Other options include working part-time in the legal arena and then finding another job to supplement your income.  
4. And, some people don't have a legally related job at all.  
5. But, although it's rare, it's not unheard of for someone to have a paying legal job after their first year.  

Incidentally, you can make a good deal of money waiting tables.  When I first moved to Boston, before I started law school, I was making $50/night on weekdays and $100/night on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at a relatively inexpensive tapas bar.  

It's true that Boston isn't cheap, but you can make your way there.  After all, lots and lots of people do.  

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2003, 06:46:26 PM »
Okay, what about 2Ls. Is the situation better for them? That's when people get jobs right? How many 2Ls have paying legal jobs in the summer? If this year is particularly bad due to the economy, there has been better years right? 2Ls and 3Ls not having jobs at Bu isn't the norm based on better times is it ????

Shocker

• Go Shocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2003, 06:41:57 PM »
Glad to see other people are concerned about money. As far as I can see, the quickest way to save money is to find cheap living quarters. For the summer, you might be able to be an RA for the Residence Halls. If not, there was an email sent out to people listed on the admit housing signup by some soon-to-be 1Ls about a reasonable living arrangement.

If I can't find a legal job for the summer, I figure I'll fall back on my undergrad and do some computer work for some company.