Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Journal membership  (Read 4578 times)

squidz

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
Re: Journal membership
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2003, 03:16:24 PM »
Yeah, the problem is that I can't put moot court on my resume until AFTER the initial bidding process . . .

We know that all journals have notified people, but does anyone know if all of the journals are DONE notifying people? Is it safe to say that no news by now means no hope? Did anybody here anything as late as today?

Also, I can't find the e-mail address for law review -- does anyone have it handy?  

anon

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2003, 03:36:05 PM »
It's good to see another non-journal person around.  I can tell from the panicked tone.  I'm sure there are more of us around.  Good luck to you.

NH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2003, 06:09:43 PM »
Congrats to those who made it on a Journal, but if you didn't, you are not alone. By my calculation, approximately 75 people participated in the writing competition but did not make a journal. Another 40 people didn't even participate. Last year's graduating class still had a median salary of 125k, so don't be too worried. You'll save yourselves a TON of extra work, which will hopefully help your grades, and will give you more time to excel in Moot Court and distinguish yourself in other ways. In addition, I know of at least one person (and there are probably more) who intend to transfer. I don't know the protocol for filling journal spots left vacant by a transfer, but it couldn't hurt to email the journals and ask (but this is only likely to yield a few extra spots, if any, so don't get your hopes up).

Also, realize that the journal competition did involve a modicum of luck. If you were unlucky enough to rank the most popular journals highly, then you were in competition with more people than someone who ranked the less popular journals highly. Because the journals seem pretty similar in prestige, the number of people who bid for each one likely turned on little more than the quality of food at thier open house (Banking = Chef Chang's... need I say more?). So you may have been rejected by a "popular" journal while someone who didn't do as well on the writing competition made it onto a less "popular" journal. Besides, with so many people making journals, I'm not sure it distinguishes you all that much to make a journal anyway. Get some good volunteer experience, take a leadership position with a student organization, or do a clinic, and you're likely to fill any "gap" left by a lack of journal experience.

Journal or no journal, does anyone know the protocol for representing moot court for fall recruitment? Many firms say the prefer it, but we have to submit our final resumes before we will even have a chance to participate. How has it been handled in the past? Perhaps we should just make sure to say something in the interview about our intent to participate? I guess it's not THAT big of a deal, as all BUSLers are in the same boat, but might this put us all at a disadvantage to schools where moot court participation is competitive and students are able to put it on thier resumes for fall recruiting?

anon

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2003, 06:50:00 PM »
Great post.  Made me feel much better.  I've heard that moot court teaches more practical skills than journal work anyway.  I'm sure there's something we can put on the resume to indicate that we're going out for the moot court team.  It would help a lot, especially since employers are doing 30 second resume reads over e-attorney.

NH

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2003, 06:31:29 AM »
That said... if you look at eattorney, MOST of the firms say they prefer journal membership, so if you didn't make a journal, you MUST do something else of significance. Unfortunately, you won't have a chance to do this until after the recruitment process (bidding, at any rate) is complete. This means that you will have to put more stock in your self-directed employment campaign than others.

question

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2003, 10:22:13 PM »
Does Chef Chang's = good?
I heard that Banking and Medicine were popular
Technology in the middle
Internation and PI were less popular

just rumor

what do you think?

NH

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2003, 04:09:18 AM »
Someone described it to me as a pyramid:

Law Review
Banking / Medicine
PI / Sci Tech / Int'l

I think Banking and Medicine are more popular with the students because they are "national journals" instead of just "BU" journals (whatever that means). I don't think most employers will know the difference.

Yo

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2003, 06:40:15 AM »
Health Law is popular with a lot of students because it doesnt look at grades.  They look 100% at writing.  So, if you think your grades may not be that great (a gamble since you dont have them all before doing the write-on)  health law may be the way to go.  Also, it's the biggest, has the best office by far.  Also, BU is known as a health law school SO all the people who came here for that will want to be on that journal I would suppose.

Banking isn't national.  Just annual.  So, some say it is a little less work since there is only a rush to get it out once a year.

Just my $.02.

searching for the truth

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2003, 08:21:51 AM »
what is the membership based on?

Yo

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2003, 11:27:53 AM »
The health law journal only looks at the writing competition and how applicants ranked them when selecting its members.